“lovely setting let down by average food”
Review of RiverHouse - CLOSED

RiverHouse
Price range: US$26 - US$40
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Windsor and Eton Riverside Railway Station
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
“lovely setting let down by average food”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The location is beautiful especially on a sunny day. We sat outside and the view was beautiful the staff where friendly and very attentive. The starters where all good apart from the prawn cocktail which the prawns where well not fresh I think frozen. The mains where all good apart from the most expensive the Lobster now I love lobster but again I don't think it was fresh it was tasteless and the prawns that came with it had not been properly cleaned shall we say! So overpriced for what it was! If your going to serve fish then get it fresh and no how to cook it! The other dishes where fine so yes I would go back but just stick to the traditional food here!

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank AMD805

Dorset Uk
“Lovely lunch, lovely setting!”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Lunch on Saturday. My husband and I got there easy ably early with my 85year old father and partner. At first they said that they didn't have a table outside so we'd have to eat indoors but after I said how much we wanted to sit outside the girl said she could offer us a table that was partially covered by a brolly giving shade for two. So we sat at this table, the men in full sun, the girls in the shade. After some time my father was beginning to feel it sitting in the direct heat and the young lady in charge very kindly fetched a golf umbrella from inside and tied it to the back of the chair! One father happy! Food was lovely, very delicious. Platters to start to share, followed by mussels and chips for my husband and I, gravadlax main and a burger, all very good. We were served well by a young man who was very accommodating and understanding when the older members of the group got a little confused. A very nice relaxing lunch, will definitely visit again!

Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Don't bother, ignored by staff, disgusted”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We went to the River House in Windsor for lunch, a huge disappointment. The place was busy but there were plenty of staff (standing around chatting). We were shown to a dirty wobbly table indoors & told to wait to be served. We were never served. Eventually went to the bar myself, got drinks and asked if I could order food, only to be told to wait to be served at the table. We left after 30 minutes without being acknowledged, and we were the 4th table to leave without being served. We watched other guests arrive, sit at tables unattended for while and then get up and leave. None of the staff appeared to be concerned.

Upon leaving, we noticed, through a gap in the gate, cooked bacon lying in trays outside, uncovered, exposed to the flies, on a table next to the bins, which looked like it might not be waste but still be in use. I'm glad we didn't eat there now. Disgusted.

London, United Kingdom
“Avoid”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Service is slow and food is straight from a cheap supermarket. They had run out of 6 items on the menu by 4pm. Goes to show that the poor service is reflective of the inadequate management. If it were not for the location this place would have gone bankrupt!

Burnham, United Kingdom
“Great Location”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Went on Monday night as the weather was lovely and with the view of the river we thought it would be a good place to eat.

Food was good , service was very friendly but I think they forgot our main , as after 50mins they noticed we had not had it and it then turned up very quickly.

Did not bother us this time as we had a lovely bottle of wine and plenty to chat about with great view.

We go here once or twice a year and have never had bad food.

1 Thank Normthefisherman