“Trust the reviews.”

Transit: Windsor and Eton Riverside Railway Station
Prague, Czech Republic
“Trust the reviews.”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

The setting is great. The outside garden right on the riverbank is a really nice place to eat. The food is somewhat above average, it didn't really blow our minds, but it wasn't bad, either.

However, then there's the service.

You would have thought that the managers of this place look at Tripadvisor to see what their customers think, and maybe drill their staff or something. Nope, apparently not. It all seemed great at the start, we had a really good waiter, but he disappeared while we were eating, and was nowhere to be found. We were expecting that maybe he went home, and that someone else was going to take over. Lo and behold, several new waiters appeared. However, they were either just hanging out at the door, or going around the tables, but ignoring everyone.

I like to determine the quality of the staff by seeing if they actually react to guests who are obviously finished with their food and drinks. So we waited in anticipation of one of the staff members coming and asking if we wanted anything else, but that didn't happen for close to 15 minutes, even though there was nothing on our table except for empty glasses. I then had to flag down one of the waitresses with a hand gesture, as she was ignoring people talking to her, and we could finally pay.

Another thing were two noisy brats (about 4-5 years old) and their equally noisy mothers sitting at a table a few rows from us. Both kids were screaming (note: screaming, not crying) for about 20 minutes, they were running all over the garden, kicking other guests' chairs in the process, and just ruining all the atmosphere this place could have had. Their mothers were just sitting there, chain smoking and talking about their problems for the whole restaurant to hear, ignoring the loud kids. What fascinated me the most was the fact that none of the staff members were paying any attention to this, and they never went to the women to ask them to keep their kids quiet.

Hint: if you describe your restaurant as a "wonderful, relaxing place to have a first class meal watching the boats and river wildlife go by" on your website, you can't also have it kid friendly to the point where people don't hear each other over little screaming brats the staff can't be bothered to silence. Pick one and stick with it.

• Visited August 2014
4 Thank mhx327

“Avoid ”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

I use to come to this place when it was a pub and was always packed on a sunny day . Stopped here with my husband and toddler us baby for lunch . Service was bad , as previous reviews lots of staff hanging around but doing nothing . We all had fish and chips , worst I've eaten . Uncooked yellow batter. I sent mine back it was so bad and was sent a fresh one with no apology and no better quality on 2nd one . I resent paying £45 for lunch when we all had poor quality food and terrible service. Such a shame as lovely location .

Clitheroe, United Kingdom
“lovely setting let down by average food”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The location is beautiful especially on a sunny day. We sat outside and the view was beautiful the staff where friendly and very attentive. The starters where all good apart from the prawn cocktail which the prawns where well not fresh I think frozen. The mains where all good apart from the most expensive the Lobster now I love lobster but again I don't think it was fresh it was tasteless and the prawns that came with it had not been properly cleaned shall we say! So overpriced for what it was! If your going to serve fish then get it fresh and no how to cook it! The other dishes where fine so yes I would go back but just stick to the traditional food here!

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank AMD805
Dorset Uk
“Lovely lunch, lovely setting!”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Lunch on Saturday. My husband and I got there easy ably early with my 85year old father and partner. At first they said that they didn't have a table outside so we'd have to eat indoors but after I said how much we wanted to sit outside the girl said she could offer us a table that was partially covered by a brolly giving shade for two. So we sat at this table, the men in full sun, the girls in the shade. After some time my father was beginning to feel it sitting in the direct heat and the young lady in charge very kindly fetched a golf umbrella from inside and tied it to the back of the chair! One father happy! Food was lovely, very delicious. Platters to start to share, followed by mussels and chips for my husband and I, gravadlax main and a burger, all very good. We were served well by a young man who was very accommodating and understanding when the older members of the group got a little confused. A very nice relaxing lunch, will definitely visit again!

• Visited July 2014
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Don't bother, ignored by staff, disgusted”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We went to the River House in Windsor for lunch, a huge disappointment. The place was busy but there were plenty of staff (standing around chatting). We were shown to a dirty wobbly table indoors & told to wait to be served. We were never served. Eventually went to the bar myself, got drinks and asked if I could order food, only to be told to wait to be served at the table. We left after 30 minutes without being acknowledged, and we were the 4th table to leave without being served. We watched other guests arrive, sit at tables unattended for while and then get up and leave. None of the staff appeared to be concerned.

Upon leaving, we noticed, through a gap in the gate, cooked bacon lying in trays outside, uncovered, exposed to the flies, on a table next to the bins, which looked like it might not be waste but still be in use. I'm glad we didn't eat there now. Disgusted.

• Visited July 2014