“Outstanding in every way!”

Macdonald Windsor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Windsor
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 16 April 2012

From start to finish we were treated like royalty and only a few steps from where royalty live at Windsor castle. We used their on site parking facilities which was remarkable value and well worth doing.We were checked quickly into our room even though we were 2 hours early and nothing was too much trouble-within minutes the concierge had printed off train times and routes for our trip into London the next da,y and dropped it to our room. The staff were remarkable-I have never known such attention and manners and was in awe at how hard they worked to make our stay a very memorable experience. The breakfasts were lovely, and we ate a meal in the restaurant the first night which was incredible-the steak was to die for!! The hotel itself is relatively new so everything is modern and incredibly fresh looking-the lobby/bar area is beautiful with candles lighting the tables at night and lovely log affect fires during the days. You can easily get comfortable sitting there all day, but with Windsor castle on your door step and some beautiful shops and restaurants, then you are forced to vacate the peace and calm of the Macdonald Windsor hotel and escape into the hustle and bustle of Windsor! The location is fantastic-the change of guard goes right past the front door and you are 2 minutes walk to the castle and all the shops, and only a 5 minute walk to the train station which takes you to London in about 40 minutes.Worth a mention is the Drury House restaurant serving lovely home made food-the steak and kidney puddings were delicious. After a busy day in Windsor or London then our room was a place of relaxation with all the amenities you would expect plus large screen TV, many channels and a fantastic,huge walk in shower room. I cannot fault the hotel at all-everything by far exceeded my expectations and I just can't wait to go back and take all our family with us this time. Thank you to all the staff who made our stay so incredible.

Room Tip: We were 4th floor so views over roof tops to the castle. Request high floor room!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

Dear Jo M M,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a glowing review following your stay at the Macdonald Windsor Hotel.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us, in particular the parking facilities, your restaurant experience and the service you received from the team. We appreciate such a helpful review.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Macdonald Windsor Hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed 15 April 2012

We stayed in this hotel for our final night in England. The location can't be beat - it's right across the street from the castle. We were able to park the car and walk everywhere. The staff was very helpful with directions and dinner reservations. The rooms were clean and the breakfast the next morning was very nice. My only complaint was that the bathroom fan wasn't working and the bathrobe had a large stain on it. Other than that, a very nice stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Dear Memmett,

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for such a positive review.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Reviewed 14 April 2012

We visited Windsor to celebrate my birthday and wanted a good hotel near to the castle, we couldn't have been nearer, the location is great with easy access to the castle, lovely shops, River Thames and only a short walk to Eton Collge. The hotel is a super modern boutique hotel, the staff were very helpful and attentive at all times. We booked an executive room and we weren't disappointed, we had a side view of the castle as well! The breakfast was very good, in fact we just couldn't fault this hotel, it was a real pleasure to stay there.
If you like real ale I would strongly recommend trying some local beer from the Windsor and Eton Brewery, as well as being sold in some of the local pubs they have a shop at the brewery in Duke St, we went on one of their brewery tours which was great!

Room Tip: Well worth paying for an upgrade
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Christine W,

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us, in particular the location, your bedroom, your breakfast experience and the service you received from the team. We appreciate such a helpful review.

Reviewed 13 April 2012

Stayed for one night while on a course in Windsor. The whole hotel seems very new while retaining an original Windsor feel. Room was perfect. Only ate in the hotel for breakfast but it was very good.

Stayed: April 2012

Dear Jon3766,

Reviewed 12 April 2012

Excellent stay from start to finish . I was visiting Windsor for a special trip with my 5 yr old grandson, to visit legoland. He received a welcome pack on arrival and the welcome from reception staff to us both was sincere. Room was spotless, well equipped and a huge, walk- in shower! Tea& coffee making facilities good and provision of large bottle of still water . Also good magazines in room. Breakfast,included in our room rate, was delicious, staff very attentive. I could not fault this hotel. My stay here would encourage me to stay in any of the macdonald resorts if this is the standard provided.

Room Tip: We had a room at the back which did not have a view over the castle but was very quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Dear hmckl,

Reviewed 12 April 2012

We did not stay at the Macdonald Randoph at Oxford, but have stayed in the Windsor Macondal which was excellent.

We had afternoon tea as a treat and was well worth the money. I agree with one review that the room looked a bit tired but some people may find that attractive especially located in Oxford. When we visited it was a Saturday and although fairly busy, service was good and staff attentive without being overpowering. The tables are on the small side but adequate for afternoon tea. The view overlooking the Ashmolean museum was pleasant and an enjoyable time had by both husband and I.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Check where car park is before you get there - easy to find once you know! Beautiful reception area; welcoming staff; lovely large, modern, well decorated room. Great large bathroom - no bath but we knew that and it was not an issue.
Views of Castle if one bent down a little and looked to the right!! If you look straight out (of the room we were in) you saw into other rooms but also across skyline towards river. Dark room as only the one small window but did not detract from overall good quality.
Dinner in restaurant pre-booked at special price: we managed to choose from the offer (but could have added from menu and paid more if wanted) and food was very good. However, don't expect a quick dinner as we had a very long wait between ordering, starters and mains. Then we had to wait for coffee ordered with sweets. We were not in a hurry but whole meal seemed too slow to be 'relaxed'. Breakfast in morning was very good: large selection of buffet style but also great cooked breakfast, especially scrambled eggs! Quick, friendly service; few mistakes but nothing not rectified quickly and politely.
Only issues came on check out: please check your bill carefully! We had a voucher offer which seemed to really confuse them plus the special offer dinner - we were charged wrongly for almost everything...including twice for car parking BUT the gentleman sorted it all out with out any argument or issue which I was thankful for.
We were then able to leave our car, watch the changing of the guard from outside hotel, have a wander around town again, then get car brought straight up by parking concierge. Extremely friendly car parking attendants both days, very impressed.
Overall thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mimjoNorthampton
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Dear mimjoNorthampton,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a positive and detailed review.

I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay overall and appreciate your constructive feedback. Please be assured that I have passed your comments to the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Macdonald Windsor Hotel in the near future.