“lovely hotel”

Macdonald Windsor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Windsor
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Stayed one night on a girls trip with my 9 year old daughter. We loved the hotel, loved the central location and the beautiful town of Windsor. Will recommend this hotel to all of my friends as we enjoyed our stay a lot. We did not eat at the hotel, as the little one loves to eat in the room. We bought sandwiches and fruit and took back to our room. But I am sure the breakfast is as nice as the hotel itself.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2012

Dear mrsholidaylover

Thank you for taking the time to review the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your recent stay.

I was delighted to note that you had such an enjoyable stay - we look forward to welcoming you back!

There are newer reviews for Macdonald Windsor Hotel

Reviewed 4 November 2012

Really plush, modern hotel. Reception staff were very helpful, answering our questions about our stay and booking us a cab for the wedding we were attending the following day. The location was excellent... you can't really get much closer to the castle if you tried. Our room was really big and had a luxury feel as we walked in.

That's the good. The not so good parts were that our room looked out on to a low wall so natural light was very limited. The bathroom could have been a little cleaner than it was and the pillows which were probably the most uncomfortable I've ever slept on.

We had a drink at the bar and enjoyed the live jazz performer before eating at Caley's in the hotel. The service was fairly slow to be honest. The steaks were cooked well, but mine arrived lukewarm. But I was hungry by then! The upside was dessert... best Knickerbocker Glory ever.

Good and bad experience. A little more attention to detail could make this the perfect hotel though.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear A_J_Mann

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your stay with us.

I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay overall, especially the service from the team, our location, your bedroom and dessert. I was disappointed to learn of the shortfalls you experienced and would like to assure you that I have discussed your feedback with the team for retraining purposes.

I appreciate your constructive feedback and hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 1 November 2012

This hotel has very good rooms and I would advise anyone to book the "Classic King" rooms as they are excellent for space and size of bed.The shower room is very good. Don't expect good views though,unless you want to pay for it. Our room, 423, is on the side with a view over Windsor town and the Castle to right. We entered the Hotel from the back entrance as we had booked a space in it's underground car park, at a cost of £25.00 a day. It is valet parking so be prepared for a wait as there is only one person working to bring cars out as well as book them in. Our bags were left in our car for them to be taken to our room leaving us free to take the lift to the ground floor and reception to book in.
This is when you find that the bar, reception, seating area and in part, the restaurant, is situated in a 100 ft+ long and not very, 20 ft max, wide corridor. The other end of the corridor is the hotel entrance off of the High Street.
The bar is multi-functional being used as the continental breakfast area in the morning and for afternoon teas in the afternoon. Prices, when it is a bar in the evening, are what you would expect for the style of hotel. Don't sit at the table near the bar for breakfast,as it is very busy with alot of people coming, going and leaving as you are right by the exit to the car park.
I had booked dinner bed and breakfast for two nights as a birthday treat for my wife. We don't usually have dinner in our hotels but, having experienced "The Bear Hotel", a McDonald hotel in Woodstock near Oxford, I thought that the food at the Windsor would be the same. How wrong I was. The Windsor hotel does chicken, beefburger or steak and chips. There is a different, but not inspiring alternative menu but it was a Very disappointing one. I had chicken and chips and my wife gammon and chips, which, she said, was very salty. We had been reminded at the beginning of the meal that we "Only have £25.00 each to spend" and by the end of our meal, which included a creme brule for sweet, felt that the meal was not worth it. The service was slow and not what we expected. We later found out that another couple had been kept waiting for nearly an hour for their main course. We had been expecting so much more, but got even less. I would recommend eating out at one of Windsors many other restaurants.
Needless to say, we did not eat there on the second evening. We retired to our room which, I have said, is excellent and were setteled in, when the fire alarm went off. Picking up essentials, we made our way out into the corridor only to be met by people asking where the fire escapes were. I pointed to the sign and we made our way down the stairs. The lady and Gent explained that the other exit near them said "Staff Only" and smelled of smoke. It turned out that the exit exits into the kitchen area and it was the kitchen smells rising up the fire escape like a chimney. The alarm was false and we made our way back into the hotel past diners in the dinning room looking a bit worse for wear.
As for breakfast our first one was also a bad experience having had to wait for a table then the breakfast was cold. The breakfast on our second day was very good so it can be done. Service is still an issue though.
So, apart from the eating side of it, the rest of the hotel is fine and it is the reason for "Very Good"
It's the room that made it. Oh also Windsor.

Room Tip: Book Classic King rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Duncan W

I appreciate you taking the time to provide such a detailed account and was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay overall despite the shortfalls you experienced.

I appreciate your constructive feedback, which will be discussed with the team for training purposes, and hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 28 October 2012

Can't beat the location - right across from Windsor Castle and a quick drive to the airport. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Well-designed rooms with comfortable beds. Loved the complimentary tea and cookies, especially as it was such a cold day when we arrived. Also enjoyed the fireplace in the lobby; great place to hang out and have drinks.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Dear Catherine F

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a glowing review following your stay at the Macdonald Windsor Hotel.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your visit, in particular our location, the service from the team, your bedroom and the tea and cookies! We appreciate such a helpful review.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Reviewed 24 October 2012

We stayed at the Macdonald Windsor for a long weekend break. The hotel is very well placed directly opposite Windsor Castle and within walking distance of the High Street, restaurants and Eton (although this is a bit more of a walk).

The rooms were extremely clean, spacious and modern. A particular highlight was the bathroom which was very well equipped.

The bar downstairs was well staffed with friendly waiters who remembered names and drinks orders for the three days that we were there and it was great place to start an evening out (although the prices are slightly higher than one would expect).

Although not as close to the river or the railway station as its competitors, we had no issues getting anywhere on foot. Don't let the fact that the entrance to the hotel is rather small and on the roadside or that a portion of it is over a separately owned cafe put you off. We would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tasstw
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2012

Dear tasstw

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your visit, in particular our location, your bedroom and the service you received at the bar. We appreciate such a helpful review.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Reviewed 24 October 2012

Arriving there by taxi was a bit weird as you need to enter the hotel at the back (not allowed to stop in front of the hotel).
Nothing particular to comment on the hotel. Rooms are very nice, beds are comfortable and shower is wonderful. Breakfast was ok. The area is very nice.
Big advantage is of course the distance from Heathrow airport.
If I would go back to Windsor, I would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Dear Keppebolletje

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Warm regards

Reviewed 21 October 2012

We stayed here for one night celebrating our 2nd wedding anniversary. We booked after reading the reviews on trip advisor and we weren't disappointed. The hotel was very stylish and had a warm atmosphere. We didn't book the car park in advance due to an error on our part but after ringing was recommended the king Edward court nearby. We were however able to drop our bags round the back entrance to the hotel and they kept it for later when we checked in. The car park we used was literally a 5 min walk through the shops and was actually cheaper! £20 for 24 hours and by normal hourly charges for anything over. Hotel carpark was £25. We also didn't have to wait for our bags and car to be found on check out which was good as it was very busy on checkout and I'm sure we would have had to wait in a queue!
Check in was smooth although the girl on reception seemed a bit flustered! We had a room on 4th floor. A nice double room but unfortunately it overlooked the back of the hotel! Can't win them all I guess. Lovely decor, complimentary water and tea, coffee etc as expected and bath robes were a nice touch. Lovely bathroom but the shower was a bit of a letdown! It looked lovely but the only way you could get decent pressure was to have it cold! A hot shower produced a very slow faint stream! Annoying! I also couldn't get the heating working when I was a bit chilly so gave up! There was also a rumbling noise constantly and on looking out the window there were massive roof pipes etc. this was annoying but after a while you shut it out!!! that mixed with the obvious plane noises overhead you may need earplugs if you are a light sleeper. I was also woken by what sounded like a whole bin of empty bottles being poured into a truck ! my child free lie in wasnt so peaceful after all!!!!! We didn't have breakfast included in our rate and certainly weren't going to pay £17.50 each. Bit extortionate I thought. There are stacks of little cafes around that looked lovely so would recommend this. Lunch on day we arrived was at two brewers right at the end of the high street. Oldy worldy pub but just perfect for a light bite. Dinner in the evening was at The Green Olive. Gorgeous food and atmosphere. Would thoroughly recommend!
I would recommend this hotel but would have given it 5 stars if there weren't a few little niggles

Room Tip: Front of hotel not the back
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Dawnexe

I appreciate you taking the time to provide such a detailed account and was really pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay overall despite the shortfalls you experienced.