“Wexcellent stay!”

Macdonald Windsor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Windsor
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 December 2012

We stayed here for 2 days in December 2012. Usually I go through the good and bad points respectively, but with this hotel it's seriously difficult to find any negatives.
Parking was round the back, and steep at £25 a night, but the valet service was slick and very professional. The front staff were fast, efficient and polite. The place was spotless, and a stone throw from everywhere in Windsor.
The room? Fabulous. Spacious, with a king bed, quiet, great bathroom, and many luxury touches at a great rate for what it delivered. We asked for a late departure, again no hassle....
I would recommend Macdonalds to anyone, and hope to get the opportunity to stay here again. A special hotel.

1  Thank pafuri
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2013

Dear pafuri

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that you particularly enjoyed the valet service, location and bedroom.

Reviewed 22 December 2012

We went back to this hotel two weeks ago as we had been so impressed the first time, a year ago, that we wanted to check it out as a possible venue to get married next year. Unfortunately I think now it may be off our list.
The staff were still excellent but we ate in the restaurant as the weather was too cold to go out and the meal was so bad that we actually refused to pay for it as did several tables near to us.
The reasons we were told that the service and food that night were appauling was because they had a large function on and were understaffed. Needless to say it cut no ice with us and we were really disappointed.
However in their defence the manager didn't quibble at all when we didn't want to pay and we were also offered a complimentary meal on a date of our choosing although this may be tricky given that we live in Devon but we did appreciate the gesture.

Room Tip: upgrade to the deluxe, the standard rooms are v small

Dear Jo G

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review following your recent visit.

I am extremely sorry for your disappointment this time and that you are no longer considering us for your wedding venue. Please be assured that your experience was not reflective at all of our usual standards and I do hope that you will feel able to take up our offer of a complimentary meal at a later date to restore your confidence in the hotel. I hope to hear from you and welcome you back.

Reviewed 16 December 2012

My sister and I stayed here for 4 days. Our room was spacious and inviting with a large bathroom. Breakfast was very good, and the staff was very helpful arranging transportation, making restaurant recommendations, and were welcoming. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank AHB58
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2012

Dear AHB58

Thank you for taking the time to review the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your recent stay.

I was delighted to note that you had such an enjoyable stay, especially your room and breakfast experience.

It is great to know that the team were helpful and that you will return - we look forward to welcoming you.

Reviewed 15 December 2012

We booked this hotel last minute to get away for one night. Great hotel, good location. Nothing really stands out just a good honest hotel. If go, you'll need to book a car park space. Breakfast was a bit chaotic on Sunay morning as the hotel was busy. But, a good cooked breakfast eventually arrived.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Alec J

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay overall and appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 14 December 2012

I organised a business conference here recently and the hotel is pretty good for that. Very sleek and modern with well appointed rooms. The front desk staff let the hotel down (the woman I had didn't recognise the name of my company when I checked in and didn't know about our conference!) which unfortunately is the first contact. But other than that I can't really fault the hotel. Great breakfast and lunch buffet with lots of choice, and coffee and tea breaks with miniature pastries. Lots of attention to detail like the Queen's Jubilee celebration coffee mugs, all of which went down well with the non-British participants. All in all I would recommend it, but I hope the front desk improves.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Dear Tripper099

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Macdonald Windsor Hotel
following your stay with us.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay overall, however may I sincerely apologise for your disappointment with the service you experienced on your arrival at the hotel. I would like to assure you that this is in no way reflective of our usual standards of service and please be assured that I am investigating into your comments to ensure that any future disappointment could be avoided.

I am delighted that you would recommend the hotel and look forward to welcoming you back.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 12 December 2012

We stayed at the Macdonald Windsor for my husband's birthday weekend last week. The location of the hotel is fabulous - right in the centre of the town, close to all the shops and near to some very good restaurants. The staff at reception and in the car park were exceptionally good - thank you. The room was okay - the heating system was slightly erratic. The bed was very small - just a standard double bed which is not what we would usually expect for such a high quality hotel. The duvet on the bed barely touched the sides and so we actually did not have a particularly good nights sleep. The breakfast was fair although we did not get what we ordered and had to send it back, the couple on the table next to us also had the same problem and I believe that this is because many of the staff in the restaurant struggle to understand English and so communication was a problem. All in all, I would recomend the hotel to friends mainly due to the location. It cannot be beaten for this and the staff in reception / car park / and conciege made up for the staff in the restaurant. I would ensure however, that any room booked had a king size bed and a decent size duvet !

Room Tip: Ask for a decent size bed with decent size duvet
1  Thank Lily099

Dear Lily099

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your stay with us.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay overall, especially the location.

I appreciate your constructive feedback and hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 11 December 2012

Close to the Castle, and all the great things Windsor has to offer. The room was large simple and clean, although did not justify the price tag. I would recommend this hotel for great location alone. The staff were friendly and booked us a smart Taxi when we left. We cant judge breakfast as we had to leave before it started.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Dear Sue T

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay.