“Macdonald comes up trumps again!”

Macdonald Windsor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Windsor
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 17 March 2013 via mobile

Once again the Macdonald chain of hotels has come up trumps with its Windsor hotel.

Ideally situated in the town centre opposite the quirky Crooked House of Windsor, it's quaint high street entrance complete with topiary hanging crowns, is deceiving to how big the actual hotel is. It has more of a boutique townhouse feel to it, than some of the other Macdonald hotels we've stayed in but that is just the kind of style that we like in a hotel.

It looks clean, modern and sultry whilst also maintaining a good level of customer service. We were greeted by a smiling enthusiastic and chatty member of staff at check-in, who processed our arrival in an efficient and friendly manner.

We stayed in a Classic Double which although is considered the "cheapest" of the room options on offer, it is styled and presented in as equally a high standard as the rest of the hotel. As soon as we left the lifts up to our floor, we picked up on the subtle lavender scent that had been used in the pale purple themed corridors and in the rooms. There is lavender flavoured toiletries and hangers in the wardrobe with lavender pouches also. Small and unexpected touches to make the room feel that bit more special than your standard room.

Free wi-fi and a television with Freeview channel choices were other welcome additions.

We visited Windsor for a weekend break from London, and being new to the area and not knowing where best to go for an evening meal, we opted to eat in the hotel's restaurant Caley's - which is unusual for us, as we usually like to venture out of the hotel for an evening meal. The service was great and the food was reasonably priced for what is essentially a range of steak and meat grills. Both my partner and I were satisfied with our meals. My only criticism was the half-chicken I ordered was fairly small in size and the quality of the meat on the chicken was so poor that I didn't feel I had my money's worth in terms of the meat that would have been nice to eat.

The staff in the restaurant were as attentive and friendly as the staff at Reception.

After dinner we went back to our room and asked the concierge if a bucket of ice could be delivered to the room. This was done no problem and the delivery of the ice was efficient too.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and hope to return again in the future. We both agreed that we should visit more Macdonald hotels because we are rarely left disappointed by them.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank joerack121
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2013

Dear joemcd121

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Windsor following your stay with us.

I was pleased to learn that you were impressed with your stay overall and I appreciate such a detailed review. I was however sorry to learn of your disappointment with your meal. I would like to assure you that I have discussed your comments with our head chef who has asked especially to be associated with my apology.

We appreciate such constructive feedback and hope to welcome you back to the hotel.

Beverley Molmans

Write a ReviewReviews (2,970)

Reviewed 16 March 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights on a short trip to London. On the whole, top marks. It really puts a lot of London hotels to shame, both in terms of the standard of the rooms and value for money.

The location is pretty good (unless you really want to go into central London). Since I was not going to central London, I decided to stay in Windsor because 1) Windsor itself is a lovely little town with great shops, 2) it is close to Heathrow, 3) it is also close(ish) to west London (Richmond, etc).

The hotel itself is literally across from the Castle, which makes it idea as a base, if you are a tourist and want to explore the area (Windsor, Bray, etc). You can comfortably spend two days in Windsor (including the castle). From the outside, the hotel really doesn't look like much and the first time you go there it is easy to miss the entrance to the hotel. In my view, the selling proposition is the rooms. If you want modern and efficient, you will be pleasantly surprised. However, if you want "charm and character" (i.e. draughty windows, tired furniture and old rooms), this place is not for you. (Getting to the rooms is a bit of a maze, but that is ok unless you have young kids and are dealing with a pram/stroller).

I had food at the hotel (mostly breakfast and one late dinner) and it was ok. Nothing super memorable, but I was not staying at the hotel for the food. Service was friendly and Ok. It could have been a bit more "on the ball", but it was perfectly acceptable.

On the whole, I was pleasantly surprised. I would have no qualms about staying here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Paisa_on_the_go

Thank you for taking the time to review the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your recent stay.

I was delighted to note that you had such an enjoyable stay, especially our location.

It is great to know that the team were friendly and attentive and that you will return - we look forward to welcoming you.

Reviewed 16 March 2013

I had a great time visiting the MacDonald. The gentleman who checked me in at 9 p.m. on Monday was exceptionally pleasant and efficient. My two room service experiences while there were both top-notch. The room I was given was clean and spacious. My only complaint, if it counts, is that I was given a room with two twin beds and the one I'd used was very narrow. But it was comfortable and, once I had gotten used to trying not to fall off the bed, it was fine. You can't beat the location on High Street.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank LAEWorldTraveler

Dear LAEWorldTraveler

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of the Macdonald Windsor Hotel. I was really pleased to learn of your enjoyment and especially that you felt so well looked after by the reception team.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 15 March 2013

I have written a previous review of the Macdonald hotel saying how much I enjoyed my stay there. In fact, I returned several times and when I relocated back to the UK and started a new job, I chose this hotel to stay in. It was 7am on my first day in my new job, the hotel has a concierge service and will bring the car up to you. At this time, I still had a left hand drive car as I was still in the process of moving country and I offered to bring it up myself but they like to do this themselves for insurance reasons - I did check because driving a left hand drive is very different. I looked at my car as it came up and the entire right hand side of the car had been scraped and dented, missing door handle - see photos. It took 9 weeks to get the car repaired. Followed by a further 5 weeks to repair the damage not fixed by the first company. It took nearly 6 months in total - 6 months with no car (the insurance car paid for a hire car for 11 days), paying very expensive insurance, car repayments etc. I was still relocating and so had to return to Luxemburg without a car for my final two weeks in the country. I was eventually reimbursed for flights and a couple of other bits and pieces by the insurance company but the overall stress of having to worry about the car, getting it fixed at a time I was due to sell it in Luxemburg and then ended up with having to sell it at considerably below market value in the UK because it was left hand drive was enormous on top of already relocating. The hotel? They were overall apologetic. They took the cost of a meal off my bill. I paid the rest of the bill in full. That was it. Obviously I won't stay at this hotel again but frankly, after all the hassle, I deserved a week's spa stay in their most lavishing room and with a butler - complete nightmare! Be aware!

Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
6  Thank Liketravelling37
Reviewed 13 March 2013

This is a beautiful hotel conveniently located in the centre of Windsor. I use this hotel regularly and the staff are so pleasant and welcoming that a spending a night here is thoroughly relaxing and sets you up for a busy following day.

Room Tip: They are all nice !
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank EwenColquhoun

Dear EwenColquhoun

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Windsor following your recent stay. I was delighted to learn of your enjoyment and that the team looked after you so well!

It was a pleasure to hear of your experience and I really appreciate you taking the time to share your view of the hotel.

Reviewed 13 March 2013

Sad we only had one night at this lovely hotel. We did get lost finding the hotel but the very helpful concierge guided us by phone into the carpark.

Reception staff professional and helpful. Our room was the right temperature on our arrival and what a lovely room. We were able to check in early and we found the restaurant and bar staff went the extra mile to make us feel welcome..
What a good location the hotel is and amazingly we found it quiet and the aircraft (in the day every 90 seconds!) did not disturb us.
We did not have dinner at the hotel, but the breakfast was excellent.
Hopefully we shall visit again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank johnwiththewind47

Dear johnwiththewind

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that the team looked after you well and you enjoyed your room, the location and breakfast.

We hope to welcoming you back very soon!

Warm regards

Reviewed 13 March 2013

I have stayed at the MacDonald Windsor on a number of occasions and I am already planning my next visit. I just love this hotel. The staff are very welcoming, the service is excellent. I have stayed in both a classic room and a suite, and cannot fault either of them. It is a wonderful place to stay to have a quiet, relaxing weekend in gorgeous surroundings.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Natalie F

Dear Natalie F

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visits. I was really pleased to learn that the team looked after you and that you enjoyed your rooms and the surroundings.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Warm regards