“Luxury Hotel in the Best Location”

Macdonald Windsor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Windsor
GreenLeadersGold level
“Luxury Hotel in the Best Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

My Husband and I stayed in an Executive Room mid November as part of a romantic short break and we not disappointed.
On arrival the staff really couldn't do enough to help, and the decor of reception defiantly set the bar high for the decor of the Bedrooms!
The room was very well decorated and the bed was extremely comfortable, we felt like we were walking into a five star hotel room.
Windsor castle is directly opposite the hotel, as are all the shops and restaurants so it's in the perfect location.
We booked a table for evening meal on the first night at the Hotels restaurant, Scottish Steak Club and once again everything about the service/food and the ambiance was wonderful. One of the best Steaks I've ever had!!
Breakfast again, wonderful....... So much to choose from you wont be disappointed.
We had a fantastic short break away, I would defiantly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay in Windsor.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of the Macdonald Windsor Hotel. I was really pleased to learn of your enjoyment and especially that you felt so well looked after by the team!

We appreciate the recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Beverley Molmans

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

Well located to the Castle, excellent service, great room size and nice layout.
This is our first trip to Windsor and am glad to have picked this hotel. The Hotel is well located to the Castle and a short walk to the shopping district. The service staffs are excellent, it is often hard to find a hotel where almost everyone in the hotel is friendly, warmth and welcoming. The room is of a decent size by European standard, it is clean, modern and has a nice layout.
The restaurant serves decent breakfast and nice supper.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that the team looked after you and you enjoyed the location, your room and the food you experienced.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Warm regards

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

I stayed here with my husband for a weekend away and were totally delighted with the hotel. A lovely entrance and reception area with extremely friendly staff. We booked an executive room which was just lovely. It was clean, spacious and very well appointed with a lovely view of the castle. The only niggle was that the bed was not the most comfortable with pillows that had lost their plump and a noticeable dip in the centre of the mattress. Nevertheless, it is a great hotel and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your stay with us.

I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay overall, especially the service from the team, your room and the view, however may I sincerely apologise for your disappointment with the comfort of your bed.

I would be grateful if you could contact me directly - gm.windsor@macdonald-hotels.co.uk - so that I may address this matter with our Housekeeping Manager.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest regards

Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

Have stayed in many Macdonald Hotels and this is one of their best. Beautifully appointed comfortable room looking onto the castle. Lovely bathroom, great shower and luxurious robes.. Really friendly staff made the experience all the better - plenty of advice offered and taken. Wouldn't think of staying anywhere else next time I'm here.
Get a castle room.

Room Tip: Ask for a castle room
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Windsor following your recent stay. I was delighted to learn of your enjoyment and that the team looked after you so well!

I really appreciate you taking the time to share your view of the hotel and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

top floor room good view great service fab food long drive from london but many stops on the way plenty to do legoland worth vist food not so good only gets very busy at peak times arrive early to be first in.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that the team looked after you and you enjoyed your room.

I was sorry to note you were disappointed with the food you experienced - please do contact me directly (gm.windsor@macdonald-hotels.co.uk) so that I can address this with our Head Chef and reassure you personally.

We hope to welcome you back.

Warm regards

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

We visited during a Friday to Sunday. We stayed on the dinner bed and breakfast 'autumn offer' that the hotel offer. The staff were v friendly and offered to change our room when we first arrived as I'd been told there was a bath in each room on booking though this was incorrect. Once settled we had our first meal in the restaurant that evening great atmosphere in caley's, a really smart restaurant - I had a very tasty pan fried duck which was great. I was v much looking forward to my fillet steak the next evening given it's the speciality however I was underwhelmed - I asked for a medium rare steak and got something more akin to medium well done and the steak itself was too salty for my palette. Disappointed, although potentially a one off. My partner had the lamb which I tasted and was simply delicious, as was the dessert we had. Highly recommend the Arran ice cream. The breakfasts were filling as both buffet is offered as well as a cooked breakfast. The staff were v friendly and appeared to try v hard at all meal times, however we did find ourselves often having to ask twice for things (dessert menu, the bill, sauce etc!). However it's easy to overlook this when the staff are so nice and the food tasty! The rooms were very comfortable and clean - a classic double was very spacious for the two of us. The hotel is situated right opposite the castle which makes it great for a three hr trip to the castle (which is recommended) and right in the bustle of windsor's high street and cute cobbled streets. Overall, if I were to return to Windsor I would definitely stay at this hotel. Added up to about £400 for two people for two nights - including dinner and breakfast each day, bottle of wine at dinner and two glasses the next day.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Windsor following your stay with us.

I was pleased to learn that you were impressed with the hotel overall, however may I apologise for your disappointment with the shortfalls you experienced. Your comments have been shared with the team so that any similar lapses can be avoided.

I appreciate you bringing such constructive and helpful feedback to my attention.

We do hope to welcome you back to the hotel.

Bourne End, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for my birthday. Upon arrival, we were given a complimentary upgrade to an executive room, which made my day! The room was clean, spacious, and luxurious with great attention to detail. The bed was so comfortable, I never wanted to leave.

We had dinner in the restaurant. I was so impressed with the hotel, I had high expectations for our meal. I was not disappointed, everything was cooked to perfection. The waitress even went to the trouble of writing Happy Birthday on my dessert plate!

Overall the hotel is in a brilliant location with friendly staff (especially the valet parking staff and reception staff) and has lovely rooms. The little touches really made my birthday e.g cupcakes in the room. One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank klassicalkelly
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Windsor following your recent stay to celebrate your birthday. I was delighted to learn of your enjoyment and that the team looked after you so well!

It was a pleasure to hear of your experience and I really appreciate you taking the time to share your view of the hotel.