“Not worth the money”

GreenLeadersGold level
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Not worth the money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

The hotel is very nice but really not worth the money, I booked a suite and we were very disappointed, we really expected a lot more , we normally stay in Mayfair in a far nicer hotel for a lot less and if I have another function in Windsor I will get a taxi to the event.
The location is great but the hotel is charging far too much for the rooms just because of the location.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JillyB371
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your recent celebration stay with family and friends.

I was extremely sorry to learn of your disappointment with your stay. We usually receive such good feedback about our suites and I am sorry that you felt you had been overcharged. Please be assured that I will be reviewing our prices to ensure that they remain fair and competitive.0

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Beverley Molmans

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I went here for a two night weekend break at the end of April, the hotel was spotless and the service was fantastic. Thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of our stay, and had a room overlooking the high street and Windsor Castle. Loved sitting by the roaring fire with a night cap each night, after a great meal in the hotels restaurant. Thoroughly recommended.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of the Macdonald Windsor Hotel. I was really pleased to learn of your enjoyment and especially that you enjoyed the service from the team!

We appreciate the recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back!

Orange, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Very convenient for castle visiting and close to many restaurants. Our room was very comfortable and quiet even though it faced the main street. Friendly staff and the ambiance of the entry and lounge area is very inviting.
I would like to give it 5 stars but a couple of bothersome issues:
The bottom of the shower was in need of some grout repair. Also the shower was door-less and no matter what I tried I could not keep from getting a good deal of water on the bathroom floor. We have been in several other hotels with a similar feature, but this was by far the messiest.
Finally, as I checked out, the clerk commented that he thought I had a high room rate! I had never had anyone say this before and I wish I had the composure to negotiate a lower rate, although we had booked a larger than normal room. I went back and confirmed that it was the rate I booked, but I was taken aback and even now I have this nagging feeling I was overcharged. Any way not the way I wanted to leave a hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that the team looked after you and you enjoyed your room.

I was sorry to note the problems you encountered with your shower and your concerns regarding your room rate - please do contact me directly (gm.windsor@macdonald-hotels.co.uk) so that I can address these matters with the team and reassure you personally.

We hope to welcome you back.

Warm regards

St Andrews, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Visited with friends for a great weekend away. Very comfortable clean modern room with all usual facilities. Wide selection of choice at breakfast. Staff very helpful and accommodating as we arrived early. We will return if in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay and the team were helpful and accommodating.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Warm regards

South England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last night 6th June 2014 in room 320. It was our wedding anniversary and I had been recommended the hotel by a work colleague. From the moment you arrive to have your car parked you are treated like a VIP. The hotel looks small but once in it is very spacious. On checking in the staff wished us a happy anniversary and on entering our room a card welcoming us along with 2 beautiful cup cakes in individual boxes. What a lovely touch! An excellent nights sleep was had, the room was gorgeous! Breakfast was fantastic with a personal service offered. I can't wait to stay again which I will! 10/10 !!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit your review following your stay at the Macdonald Windsor Hotel – congratulations again on your anniversary!

I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay, particularly the service from the team. Please be assured that I have passed your comments to them, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We appreciate such a helpful review, and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

My husband was working in the area so we combined business with pleasure... And it was indeed a pleasure to stay at this stylish hotel.
We booked last minute and got a good deal.
The hotel is deceptively spacious, no views or windows from the bar or lounge areas, but the decor was modern & extremely comfortable with a ' boutique' atmosphere.
We were very impressed with our room. We were at the front of the hotel with views over the high street. The room was well furnished and well equipped with a large sofa, extremely large comfy bed, and enormous bathroom.
We had a lovely dinner in the restaurant, the steak is their specialty, and it was excellent.
The staff were extremely friendly and helpful the hotel is perfectly located and I highly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anna L
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of the Macdonald Windsor Hotel. I was really pleased to learn of your enjoyment and especially that you felt so well looked after by the team!

We appreciate the recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back!

West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here 4 times in 2004
Always a welcoming reception. Excellent breakfast and restaurant service. Rooms large and clean. Great bathrooms. Great location (see the guards changing). Niggles:- Bar service can be iffy. If a drink arrives with unwanted ice I do not expect it to be fished out and returned to me! Car park £28 a night! For guests! Sorry that is T T P. You get £10 bar credit which is a nice touch. Overall would recommend for business or pleasure. Avoid Royal Horse Show week, they smash the price up, as do most hotels.

Stayed May 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Windsor following your stay with us.

I was pleased to learn that you were impressed with the hotel overall, however may I apologise for your disappointment with the shortfalls you experienced. Your comments have been shared with the team so that any similar lapses can be avoided.

I appreciate you bringing such constructive and helpful feedback to my attention.

We appreciate the recommendation and hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.