“Excellent location”

GreenLeadersGold level
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Excellent location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed at the hotel this weekend for my wife's birthday and we found it to be very good, we had a classic room on level 4 that was spacious and well appointed. The bed was large and comfortable air conditioning good and if you looked out of the window at the side you could see Windsor palace. The bathroom had only a shower but it was a big walk in shower so no problem there.
We had DB&B deal with the hotel and the breakfast was again very good although the service could be on the slow side especially on Saturday morning. Dinner was also good on the first night, but on the second I had the salmon main course and it wasn't cooked through, they did offer to do another but by then the wife had nearly finished so I didn't bother.
The staff on the whole were very good attentive and cheerful, the valet parking man was a very nice chap and was always interested in what you were doing.
The main draw of this hotel is without doubt the location you walk out of the door and are straight in front of the castle with everything right on your doorstep.
Would I stay here again, yes defineatly the only thing stopping me giving it 5 is the dinner on the last night but everything else was excellent.

1 Thank HobyJoby1
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Windsor following your stay with us.

I was pleased to learn that you were impressed with the hotel overall, however may I apologise for your disappointment with your salmon dish and the slow service you received at dinner. I would like to assure you that this has been addressed with our Restaurant Manager and Head Chef to ensure that any similar lapses cannot be repeated. I appreciate you bringing this matter to my attention.

We do hope to welcome you back soon.

Beverley Molmans

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I chose the Macdonald Windsor Hotel because of its location, I stayed in July with my elderly aunt to celebrate her 80th birthday. What a brilliant choice, the hotel was perfectly situated to enjoy all that Windsor and the surrounding area has to offer. The rooms were spacious, clean, comfortable, well lit and well heated. We enjoyed afternoon tea on our first day - oh what a treat and a "must do" the attitude of every staff member from the valet who parked our car through to the maître de was to ensure you not only felt special but that anything they could do they did. The quality of the food was superb we enjoyed a dinner bed and breakfast arrangement over three days and never had cause to question or fail to be impressed. I would genuinely recommend this wonderful hotel for any visitors to Windsor you will not fail to be impressed I promise. We can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: To visit Windsor and enjoy the wonderful view book a front facing room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank lorraine t
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Windsor following your recent stay. I was delighted to learn of your enjoyment and that the team looked after you so well!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed here for one night and wished I was staying longer. First impressions were great, the location - well you can see Windsor castle while standing out the front of the hotel, step inside to a very warm and welcoming lobby with plenty of sofas. Check in was very fast and the staff very polite and informative.

Room, I stayed on level 3 and the room was very big, from the outside you wouldn't believe the size. Very clean and well presented, both the room and the bathroom. All the amenities you could need for a short stay. Bed and pillows very comfortable.

Breakfast in the morning was lovely, great service and very tasty food. Plenty of choice from the continental buffet to the menu.

Will defiantly be returning to this hotel, you can not fault it. The location and service were exceptional, worth every penny.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that the team looked after you well and you enjoyed our location, your room and breakfast experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

I stayed here with my husband and 9 year old daughter. This hotel is lovely - fantastic location, the rooms are gorgeous (and nice and dark and quiet at night). We were greeted at reception by a lovely lady called Maggie who could not have been more helpful and friendly throughout our stay. The breakfast was beautiful and the concierge incredibly helpful.
I have to say that the only slight negative was that one or two of the male serving staff in the restaurant were a bit 'snooty' and appeared much more interested in attending to the needs of adult only parties and less tolerant of families, (and we have a well-behaved 9 year old who was supervised at all times). I only mentioned this because we experienced this on both mornings we stayed - so it seemed not to be an exception. Having said that, we would definitely stay again based on location, comfort and luxury. Also, given that there did seem to be a few families staying because of the proximity to Legoland.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest

I was pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable stay at the Macdonald Windsor Hotel recently, especially the welcome you received on arrival, your room and our location. I was however extremely sorry to note that you were disappointed with the service you experienced in the restaurant.

On receiving your feedback I have instigated a programme of retraining with the team to ensure that we continue to deliver the high standards our guests deserve - I would like to assure you that this is not the family focused level of service we usually pride ourselves in offering.

I appreciate receiving your constructive feedback and hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel - indeed to contact me direct when you have a date in mind.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

We were impressed by the great reviews and were not disappointed. What a fabulous property. Lobby, rooms and location were first rate. The staff make the hotel. The Head Concierge David Lawson and his assistant Ford went out of their way to make our stay memorable. Nothing was too much. From the hauling of baggage to conditioner for my wife. Their top level of service has resolved us to frequent this chic chain of properties more frequently in the future. Highly recommend and the very best hotel out of 7 properties we stayed in during the course of our tour of Historic England. We are actually sad to leave!

Dear Guest

It was a pleasure to hear of your experience and I really appreciate you taking the time to share your view of the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Salisbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Lovely looking, very modern hotel just a stones throw from Windsor Castle - Perfect we thought for a afternoon cup of tea and a cake. How wrong we were after waiting 20minutes for someone to ask us if we wanted anything and being told by the one waiter apparently working that he would get back to us we left!! Thirsty and hungry but luckily the excellent Mercure Windsor Castle Hotel saved the day!!

Upon leaving I was a little perplexed as to why we had to wait for so long to be served when there were about 6 people stood chatting behind reception!!

1 Thank AndySCFC
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Guest

It was with great concern that I received your review following your recent visit to the Macdonald Windsor Hotel for tea and cake.

May I sincerely apologise for your disappointment. On receiving your feedback, I have completed a full investigation into your comments with the team, who have asked especially to be associated with my apology.

Please be assured that your feedback is not at all reflective of our usual standards and a programme of retraining is underway to ensure that your disappointment could not be repeated.

I would appreciate the opportunity of restoring your confidence in the hotel - please do contact me directly (gm.windsor@macdonald-hotels.co.uk) should you wish to return so that I can take care of the arrangements for you personally.

We hope to welcome you back.

South Florida, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

We just spent 10 days in England on the escorted tour staying in every city for 1 night, out of 10 hotels, this was absolutely THE BEST. I think that we were exceptionally lucky to stay at this hotel as part of our itinerary. You will not find a better location in Windsor and you will not find a better service in England and not just in Windsor. The rooms are modern, spacious, light and comfortable; rooms have safe, mini bar, robes, slippers, ironing board, tea set, large TV, modern shower with lavender soap, and more - everything you need after a day of activities. The restaurant is great, breakfast was delicious, bar service was excellent for dinner and very accommodating. We had a wonderful stay in the hotel and wished we had more nights to spend there. When in England, this will be our #1 choice. Thank you staff at Macdonald Windsor Hotel.

Room Tip: We were in standard rooms and they were great
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a glowing review following your visit to the Macdonald Windsor Hotel.

I was really pleased to learn that you had such an enjoyable stay and we appreciate such a helpful review.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!