“This is Windsor after all!”

The Royal Adelaide Hotel
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Windsor
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I didn't read any reviews before staying at this hotel and I'm glad I didn't, as I would probably not have booked based on them alone. However having had a great stay I felt compelled to write my own review. Outside appearance clean, well maintained, secluded garden (yes on main road but very little traffic - cars or pedestrians) and barrier controlled car parking - limited so need to book, £15 extra I think. Failing that there is I believe evening and weekend parking available at a small charge about 5 minutes up the road. Reception clean with Wi-Fi, use of pc, seating and toilets. Rooms available after 3pm but they are happy for you to check in and leave luggage before this time. Restaurant and bar was sufficient for size of hotel, and reasonably priced. Rooms are not huge I'll admit but as we were only staying one night they were adequate - very comfortable twin beds, wardrobe, ironing facilities, TV, desk and chair, tea/coffee making facilities and air conditioning. Ensuite bathroom was clean and practical which a decent shower (in bath) with loads of hot water!!! Fluffy white towels and toiletries provided. The included breakfast was buffet style with tea/coffee and toast served to the table. Range of cereals, fruits, yoghurt and cooked breakfast available. Only criticism is there could have been more variety to the breakfast and more selection e.g. only served semi-skimmed milk, no grapefruit juice, only saw scrambled egg (didn't ask if they did poached) etc Checkout was at 11am and again you are able to leave luggage etc if you wish to go around town or visit the castle before heading home. I can thoroughly recommend the Long Walk to the Castle and the very nice man at the gate to the castle, who was happy to talk to us about the Royal family. We even managed to see the Queen as she drove in to the castle to have lunch with the Duke. The hotel is about a 15 minute leisurely walk from the main hub of the town's shops, bars and restaurants and far enough away not to be noisy by tourists milling around. The rooms are on the small side so for a lengthy stay may not be suitable if you have lots of luggage and need large wardrobe space. Only a couple of negative points from me though as follows: Room 8 (first floor) doesn't have a window, just a fire exit door which opens up onto a flat roof/external stair case this meant that you couldn't leave it open at night so although the rooms were air-conditioned we couldn't get fresh air. Not all rooms are like this so ask when booking. However, not being able to leave the door open was probably a blessing as very early on the Sunday morning the planes started landing at nearby Heathrow and we were directly under the flight path (hadn't noticed them the day before). They were every 2 minutes or so and they were loud. Breakfast didn't start till 8 a.m. so I could really have done with a longer lie-in. I suppose it depends on the approach path used on the day - take ear-plugs just in case.

Room Tip: Room 8 has no window just a fire exit door which for security reasons cant be kept open.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank J0j017
There are newer reviews for The Royal Adelaide Hotel

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I really regret not looking at tripadvisor before booking this hotel, especially for the price we paid... There are many others who have reported the same problems!

A 5 minute walk from windsor castle and with a hearty breakfast (needing fried eggs!) this hotel has many strengths.

However, the cramped room, however clean and air-conditioned, wasn't suitable for a standard double room. The bed felt like a 3/4 size double and was pushed against the wall so that I had to scramble over my partner to go to the toilet in the middle of the night. Despite this the room was very nicely decorated with blackout curtains which were good for the morning, and a fantastic tv which could be swivelled and watched in bed.

I had a restless night at the hotel, mainly due to our noisy bathroom suite. The plumbing seemed to, throughout the night, make a very very loud noise which was loud enough to not only wake me up but whirr on so that I couldn't go back to sleep!

I would come back to the hotel for 75% of the price.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed two nights, hotel itself very clean and reception staff helpful and friendly, can't say the same for breakfast staff. Asked for granary bread only choice white or brown (this is 4star) no low fat spread just butter and waiter joked. It would help raise my cholesterol! Have just had heart surgery, not funny. I wanted two slices of toast and husband poached eggs on toast plus another slice. Couldn't make waiter understand that two halves of toast made one slice not two, in the end he told us he couldn't cope with our request on toast! The eggs were cooked to perfection.
Buffet part very poor, spoon to serve melon and pineapple with, no tongs for anything else so you had to use fingers. Not hygienic. Also heard waiter being rude to other guests. Look forward to breakfast on holiday and this was not a good experience. Wouldn't be ideal for a diabetic!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Adelaidehotel, General Manager at The Royal Adelaide Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Guest.

Many thanks for your review. I was personally made aware of your breakfast issue and can only apologise for any inconvenience caused. The waiter in question has been identified and is currently undergoing further training. I am pleased to read that you found the hotel pleasant and that our front of house staff has responded to all your requests in a polite manner. Once again please accept my sincere apologies. Philipp Weiss – General Manager

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Would not go back here... the hotel looks ok from the outside... but small, with barely space in the bathrooms to turn around.. The staff was very friendly though and the breakfast spread was OK... the cab driver would take some time and never arrive in time (I think they found it difficult to locate or the person at the reception simply forgot!)... but I was late for my meetings,,, and that really irritated me... the rooms are flimsy.. you will hear each and every single sound from outside through the night... and the bed is so small that you would fall off if you turn...

Room Tip: Have a look before you book... that is the only advice...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest.

Many thanks for your review. I am pleased to read that you rate our staff as friendly and that you enjoyed your breakfast whist visiting Windsor. During your stay the famous Windsor horse show was in full operation leading to some mayor delays in taxi operating times – unfortunately this is out of our control. Looking at your reservation a small room was booked for you which was allocated to your reservation. I would have gladly moved you to a larger room if you would have made your concerns known to the receptionist on duty. I do hope that we will get another opportunity to provide you with a more superior experience. Philipp Weiss GM

Reviewed 16 May 2014

We had two rooms, one double and one single, both rooms were small and you felt like you was in a box. We paid £350 for one night, two rooms. Service in dinning room was terrible, two young male bar tenders were also doubling up as waiters, dinner orders were taken and written down, but food came back with bits missing, like no veg, which did turn up after complaining, but too late as meat had been eaten and veg was hard, it felt like it had been put around the microwave. Breakfast was no better, we all got our toast after we had eaten our cooked breakfast and even the waiter commented it should have come with our food. We was not the only people getting cross with the lack of service. For a 4star hotel, we expected a lot better treatment. No water was given, although glasses were set on table, surely thats one of the first things a good waiter would do, ensure their is water on the dinning table. On the whole very disappointed, would not recommend.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Sandra C
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed with the family as a base for visiting London. They didn't have a room big enough, but they put a camp bed down for 1 of the kids to get us all into 1 room. Room was big enough for it not to cramp us. Breakfast was great, service and staff were excellent. Main complaint is parking. £15 per day on top of room price is ridiculous, especially given the size of the car park. Parking should be free.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank chris2409
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Hotel looks fine from the oyside and lobby area pretty decent, rooms particularly poor. Shabby, small, can barely turn around in the bathroom, poor lighting. The only good thing about this hotel is the extremelt friendly staff

Room Tip: After the first visit when I complained about the room quality, I had to be in the area for business...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business