“ideal location”

Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Windsor
Wigan, United Kingdom
“ideal location”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Little gem,with lovely staff. We stayed here for 2 nights as a group of 12 ladies going to the races for my daughters hen party.We had the sole use of a very comfortable lounge,which meant we could relax and socialise on a very busy weekend,and not worry about disturbing other guests.We could see the horse drawn carriages going through the long walk from the lounge,lovely.
All the staff were so helpful despite it being a very busy weekend,the cleaners,reception staff, Jack who looked after our lounge and the lady who looked after us at breakfast were all so friendly.
I would definitely recommend this hotel,my dtr and I stayed in room 8 which overlooked the street and had lovely french windows

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
wolverhampton
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Have just returned from staying 2 nights here whilst visiting Royal Ascot.I found the staff to be very friendly and efficient,and organizing taxis to transport 8 people to ascot and back was done with no problems at all.The rooms were clean,tidy and while not overly large were perfectly adequate.The hotel is a charming old building with all the quirks and oddities you expect from a building of this age.The car park is small with narrow parking spaces and very little room to manouvre(in fact I watched as another resident had to climb into his car through his passenger door as the car parked next to him was so close he could not open the drivers door).My one dissapointment with the hotel was the breakfasts.The first day was okay but not what you would expect from a 4 star hotel but the breakfast today was a disgrace.Arrived at 9 am and we were offered toast and tea or coffee straightaway.A buffet style breakfast that no bacon,egg,beans and non were added to the receptacles while we sat there.I know that the hotel was providing a champagne breakfast for coach of ladies attending ladies day but dare I suggest that you don't forget your other paying customers.However apart from the breakfast the hotel is perfectly fine and when visiting the Windsor area again I would certainly stay again

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank andrew c
Carlisle Cumbria
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This is an ok hotel. Lots of stairs..no lifts...so be aware if you have a lot of luggage like myself.
My head office booked the hotel with a credit card but the receptionist insisted that l provide a personal credit card too...their company policy in case l wanted any extras. I insisted that l did not want any extras but to no avail. This meant that l deliberately did not eat here in the evening. I would not have been treated like this if it had been a Best Western!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Brierley Hll
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed only one night but found it a very pleasant, clean hotel. Room was spotless, large bathroom with a lovely shower. Breakfast was excellent, service very good. Had not booked parkimg space the staff kinfly told us to the council offices car park 5 minutes walk away which was £1.50 overnight which was fantastic (£25 a night in the multi storey used by the travel lodge!). Also in a lovely location looking out over the royal mile and 5 mins walk to the town centre. Would certainly go back again

Addlestone
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I didn't read any reviews before staying at this hotel and I'm glad I didn't, as I would probably not have booked based on them alone. However having had a great stay I felt compelled to write my own review. Outside appearance clean, well maintained, secluded garden (yes on main road but very little traffic - cars or pedestrians) and barrier controlled car parking - limited so need to book, £15 extra I think. Failing that there is I believe evening and weekend parking available at a small charge about 5 minutes up the road. Reception clean with Wi-Fi, use of pc, seating and toilets. Rooms available after 3pm but they are happy for you to check in and leave luggage before this time. Restaurant and bar was sufficient for size of hotel, and reasonably priced. Rooms are not huge I'll admit but as we were only staying one night they were adequate - very comfortable twin beds, wardrobe, ironing facilities, TV, desk and chair, tea/coffee making facilities and air conditioning. Ensuite bathroom was clean and practical which a decent shower (in bath) with loads of hot water!!! Fluffy white towels and toiletries provided. The included breakfast was buffet style with tea/coffee and toast served to the table. Range of cereals, fruits, yoghurt and cooked breakfast available. Only criticism is there could have been more variety to the breakfast and more selection e.g. only served semi-skimmed milk, no grapefruit juice, only saw scrambled egg (didn't ask if they did poached) etc Checkout was at 11am and again you are able to leave luggage etc if you wish to go around town or visit the castle before heading home. I can thoroughly recommend the Long Walk to the Castle and the very nice man at the gate to the castle, who was happy to talk to us about the Royal family. We even managed to see the Queen as she drove in to the castle to have lunch with the Duke. The hotel is about a 15 minute leisurely walk from the main hub of the town's shops, bars and restaurants and far enough away not to be noisy by tourists milling around. The rooms are on the small side so for a lengthy stay may not be suitable if you have lots of luggage and need large wardrobe space. Only a couple of negative points from me though as follows: Room 8 (first floor) doesn't have a window, just a fire exit door which opens up onto a flat roof/external stair case this meant that you couldn't leave it open at night so although the rooms were air-conditioned we couldn't get fresh air. Not all rooms are like this so ask when booking. However, not being able to leave the door open was probably a blessing as very early on the Sunday morning the planes started landing at nearby Heathrow and we were directly under the flight path (hadn't noticed them the day before). They were every 2 minutes or so and they were loud. Breakfast didn't start till 8 a.m. so I could really have done with a longer lie-in. I suppose it depends on the approach path used on the day - take ear-plugs just in case.

Room Tip: Room 8 has no window just a fire exit door which for security reasons cant be kept open.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank J0j017
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I really regret not looking at tripadvisor before booking this hotel, especially for the price we paid... There are many others who have reported the same problems!

A 5 minute walk from windsor castle and with a hearty breakfast (needing fried eggs!) this hotel has many strengths.

However, the cramped room, however clean and air-conditioned, wasn't suitable for a standard double room. The bed felt like a 3/4 size double and was pushed against the wall so that I had to scramble over my partner to go to the toilet in the middle of the night. Despite this the room was very nicely decorated with blackout curtains which were good for the morning, and a fantastic tv which could be swivelled and watched in bed.

I had a restless night at the hotel, mainly due to our noisy bathroom suite. The plumbing seemed to, throughout the night, make a very very loud noise which was loud enough to not only wake me up but whirr on so that I couldn't go back to sleep!

I would come back to the hotel for 75% of the price.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed two nights, hotel itself very clean and reception staff helpful and friendly, can't say the same for breakfast staff. Asked for granary bread only choice white or brown (this is 4star) no low fat spread just butter and waiter joked. It would help raise my cholesterol! Have just had heart surgery, not funny. I wanted two slices of toast and husband poached eggs on toast plus another slice. Couldn't make waiter understand that two halves of toast made one slice not two, in the end he told us he couldn't cope with our request on toast! The eggs were cooked to perfection.
Buffet part very poor, spoon to serve melon and pineapple with, no tongs for anything else so you had to use fingers. Not hygienic. Also heard waiter being rude to other guests. Look forward to breakfast on holiday and this was not a good experience. Wouldn't be ideal for a diabetic!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Adelaidehotel, General Manager at The Royal Adelaide Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Guest.

Many thanks for your review. I was personally made aware of your breakfast issue and can only apologise for any inconvenience caused. The waiter in question has been identified and is currently undergoing further training. I am pleased to read that you found the hotel pleasant and that our front of house staff has responded to all your requests in a polite manner. Once again please accept my sincere apologies. Philipp Weiss – General Manager