“Good short break”

The Oakley Court
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Windsor
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Stayed 22nd to 24th April as a family of 4, the children being 6 and 9.

Stayed here to go to Legoland just down the road and wanted a bit of luxury for the grown ups, plus one of our favourite films/shows is the Rocky Horror Picture Show that was filmed here, so it helps.

The setting is beautiful, right on the Thames. The main hotel is also great. I will do positives and negatives as it is easier.

Positives
Very posh and all the staff apart from reception were excellent and friendly.
Family room was large.
Bottle of wine and milk and cookies on the first night for the kids.
Swimming pool etc was great.
Bar, although expensive was a lovely and we had a nice evening "meal" there.
Beautiful grounds.
We got 2 nights with B & B for the 4 of us for about £320 in total. Excellent deal considering where it is. We booked direct on the hotels website.

Negatives.
We had a room above the gym reception area and it was noisy at about 10 pm at night as it sounded that they were cleaning. I understand you have to do this, but don't put children's rooms by this area as they go to bed earlier than us adults!
Reception were not friendly. Front of house should be the most important part of a hotel, but on check in and check out (they tried to charge us for a bottle of wine we hadn't had..and we're not very apologetic) they really let the other staff down who where exceptional! Real shame. They weren't really bad, just not up to the same standard as the others. The couple in front of us on check out got a 20% off voucher for any future stays! but I think I lost my chance of getting one when I mentioned the incorrect bill.
The bedroom could do win a bit of tlc. Carpets a bit thread bare in places. Light on ceiling was all crooked when turned up. They fixed it the next day, but surely should have already been done on arrival.
Maid left the fridge door open and we had to bin the food we had kept in it. Not worth complaining about as wasn't much there.
Had asked for a paper each day, but never came.
They where painting the stairs whilst we were there, but no signs or anything. It was only that we saw them that we managed to stop our children getting paint on their clothes.
The kids meal in the bar came with cold potato salad. There aren't many 6 year olds who are going to be too enthusiastic about that! I know it is four star, but give the little ones a break! Probably if we had asked for chips or crips with it, they probably would have done them. We just never thought.

It sounds like I have a bit of a downer on the hotel, I don't. We really enjoyed it and would stay again. It is very close to being excellent, but they need to sort out a few things first. I think the minor issues we did have, would have been much more annoying had we paid full price!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room is my advice, but as with any hotel, some will be better than others.
2  Thank stressedoutdad
RichardSmith2014, General Manager at The Oakley Court, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Stressedoutdad

Thank you for your detailed feedback, this is most appreciated. It is only through receiving such feedback, positive and negative that I am able to make the required changes or celebrate when we get things right - your feedback will certainly help my team and I make some amendments where required - I am pleased that overall you "really enjoyed" your stay and would "stay again" - hopefully next time you stay you will see the changes we have made.

There are newer reviews for The Oakley Court

Reviewed 24 April 2014

We are a family of five and stayed at the Hotel on Easter Sunday & Monday.. we all had a great time. A warm welcome and two well appointed and clean rooms with goodies! Breakfast was excellent and we enjoyed a walk from the Hotel along the Thames and a picnic in the grounds, watching the river boats "sail" by. We had dinner from the grill menu and we were very pleased with the quality & quantity. The staff were attentive and we strolled back to our rooms very satisfied. We also made use of the swimming facilities and tennis courts, we certainly would highly recommend Oakley Court to anyone!

Dear Nicholas B

Thank you for your review, your comments are most appreciated. I am pleased that you and your family had such a great Easter Break with us!

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

@OakleyCourt your customer service is horrid. I booked a full week stay with 2 rooms, and paid in full ($3,000). I need to move the reservation earlier by one week. That's it, one week. I even agreed to pay any upcharge if needed. However your Revenue Manager refused to move the date and said that if we didn't come that week there would be no refund. I am not trying to cancel, merely change my date by one week. I even confirmed that it wasn't an inventory issue - you have rooms available. This issue should be easily resolvable. I cannot understand this behavior from a luxury hotel. Your inflexibility and lack of cooperation is unacceptable and I will be sharing this review via social media and ratings/review sites to ensure everyone has insight into your customer service experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank Carmen G
RichardSmith2014, General Manager at The Oakley Court, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Carmen G

Thank you for your feedback - please also pass my thanks to your friends who have also posted some feedback on other sites, of course supporting your views.

To make this clear to other potential customers reading this review, please note this guest has made no direct contact with me to discuss the issue now raised, please also note that at the time of booking the special "Advanced Purchase" rate clearly stated the terms and conditions of the booking to be able to achieve the special rate that was booked.

I of course will be delighted to discuss this with Carmen G direct, if you choose to contact me.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We have just returned from an Easter weekend break as a family of 4 at the Oakley Court Hotel in Windsor. The hotel itself looks spectacular, like out of movie, and it is! Fabulous exterior, very atmospheric and inside is just as grand. There are plenty of sitting rooms and drawing rooms to relax in, all romantically and luxuriously decorated and in keeping with the age of the mansion. These warm and charming public rooms all look out onto gloriously appointed gardens, manicured to perfection. The river Thames is at the bottom of the garden. There is a lovely indoor pool and gym which the kids loved. We drove to Slough train station (10 mins away) and jumped on a half hour train to the centre of London. Perfect. On our second day we drove 20 mins to Legoland which was awesome. We found Easter eggs in the room for us on Easter Sunday and all family rooms get to choose a free movie to watch (which were up to date ones, Frozen and Lego Movie). Staff were helpful and pleasant. Loved the place and would definitely come back perhaps without children for a romantic weekend next time. Have told all of our friends!

Room Tip: Our family room didn't have views of the Thames but I hear the West Wing views are amazing.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
RichardSmith2014, General Manager at The Oakley Court, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear SusanLondon13

Thank you for your review - I am delighted that you and your family had such a wonderful Easter break with us. Being so close to so many amazing attractions is a real benefit that many families enjoy while at Oakley Court - Legoland and London are two massive reasons to stay at the hotel, but there are also many many more - maybe next time you stay try and reserve some tickets for the Harry Potter experience, and Windsor Castle itself is a great family day out. I am pleased that our leisure facilities were also enjoyed by you and your family, with Tennis, Golf and a swimming pool to enjoy for all ages there is plenty to do.

I look forward to you returning again in the future.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

I booked The Oakley Court Hotel rather than the usual Holiday Inn in Maidenhead that we stay at every year, as I wanted to treat the family to something special this year.

Paid £189 for an executive double and two single beds for the children with breakfast included.

The appearance of the hotel and the grounds are amazing but the Hotel room (310) was not what I expected for a 4 star hotel. The shower head is fixed at a height within the bath with only works for someone who is 4ft tall (See photos). The chain on the plug was broken, the lock on the bathroom door was broken and overall a dated bathroom. When I booked the room I asked for an executive double room with two single beds for the children. At check in I was informed there was a cot and a single bed in the room, which was not what I asked for. I then had to call and ask for another bed to be brought in for us as the had removed the cot and not replaced it with another bed.

Our room was in the East wing which is accessible via lots of stairs and a long walk to the rooms from reception.

I ordered breakfast in bed as my wife wasn't feeling very well and asked for two cooked breakfasts without beans and the lady on the phone even repeated it back to me "No beans" both breakfasts arrived with beans and had to call and ask for another one to be brought to the room. The breakfast was partly cold and looked like it had been sitting around for a long time. The bacon was rock solid and the sausage was luke warm.

I asked for some apple juice and received two glassed of cranberry juice?!?!?!?

We ordered some cheese and crackers (£9) to the room in the evening whilst watching a movie. the room service arrived with a dinner place with 4 crackers and 3 slithers of cheese, very disappointing for £9 plus £5 service charge!!!

Be warned when ordering drinks at the bar they add a service charge of 10% on top of the price of the drinks which I personally think is a joke, its at the customers discretion to tip especially at a bar.

The pool is actually in a sports complex which has private members. These facilities are not just for those staying at the hotel. Two women were moaning to each other that we were using their pool and didn't like the fact we had our children in the pool with us.

Attention to detail of the services provided by the staff let down what should have been an amazing stay.

3  Thank Kerry E

Dear Kerry E

Thank you for your review - clearly we had fallen short against your expectations while you stayed at the Oakley Court Hotel. There are number of items noted that we were not made aware of during your stay, if we had been made aware than I am confident we could have dealt to your satisfaction a number of the disappointments you had - however, this does not excuse your overall impression of the hotel and my team - I apologise that your stay was not as you or I would have desired.
I acknowledge all of your feedback and will use this as a learning lesson, any required changes will be made for the benefit of our future guests to ensure they do not leave with the same poor impression - thank you now for posting your comments after your stay - this will allow me to action them where appropriate - as without your feedback I would not be able to effect change where required in the hotel.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in - couldn't fault anything! Room was delightful with stunning views of the river Thames. Staff were very helpful and professional. We will definitely be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Pearl b

Thank you for your amazing review - to be "one of the best hotels" you have ever stayed in is a fantastic compliment - thank you also for recognising my team as being "helpful and professional".

I look forward to you returning soon.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

I struggle to fault our visit to The Oakley Court. The concierge were very helpful and friendly on arrival and we were greated with a nice glass of bubbles and a hassle free check in.
We were quickly guided to our room, which was lovely, nicely styled and spacious and in keeping with the rest of the hotel. We spent the afternoon outside on the lawn watching the boats go by on the river with a nice glass of wine in the sun. There were aeroplanes overhead but these were completely unheard from our room and the stay was great. We can't wait to book our return visit.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear SophKenny

Thank you for your 5 star review of the Oakley Court!
I would agree with you there can be nothing better than sitting in one of our deck chairs on the sweeping lawns, next to the River Thames and sipping on a glass of wine while watching the many beautiful boats pass by - a bit of sun also helps to make this even more perfect of course!

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.