“Good Choice for a Stay near Heathrow”
Review of The Oakley Court

The Oakley Court
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Windsor
GreenLeadersGold level
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
“Good Choice for a Stay near Heathrow”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I stayed here for a small corporate awayday and thought it thoroughly pleasant and enjoyable. We were a party of about 12. OK, the bedrooms are a bit tired and the service a bit Curate's Egg but the benefits far outweigh the negatives. My bedroom was large, quiet and comfortable , the large riverside grounds are delightful and the main building oozes character and is very relaxing.
Our dinner in the evening was beautifully laid out in a delightful conservatory and food and service were pretty good.

This seems to be mainly a corporate conference hotel but there is so much space and so many nooks and crannies that I think a couple on a leisure trip would be perfectly happy.
The location right on the river between Maidenhead and Windsor is convenient for the many corporate offices in this part of the world but also good for sightseeing around Windsor or if you're eating in the Gastro-centre of Bray. It's also quite convenient for Heathrow, although a taxi ride rather than a transfer bus. I would definitely choose this place over other similar hotels like the Runnymede or the Compleat Angler at Marlow.

Room Tip: The rooms are mainly in newish (1980's) blocks away from the main building. The East Wing, where...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank medocain
RichardSmith2014, General Manager at The Oakley Court, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear medocain

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at the Oakley Court Hotel.

I am pleased that we were able to satisfy you and your other group members during your company away-day.

You are correct, our hotel allows for groups such as yours and of course for a leisure couple who just want to get away from it all - being so unique and with our adaptable service standards we deliver well against both of these types of guests, as highly recognised by several guest feedback sites such as Tripadvisor.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Richard Smith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Redditch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We visited over a bank holiday and whilst we appreciated that the hotel was out of Windsor we thought as it was on the River we would try it. I rang to explain we would be arriving early and would be happy to wait for the room but could we use the facilities. Yes that wasn't a problem, so we introduced ourselves on arrival and went to sit in the beautiful gardens. After check in time we thought we would go to the bedroom freshen up and have a long walk to the town. The room still wasn't ready and apparently we were in a queue !!!!!! We gave it another 30 minutes and returned to reception and we were still in a queue. Not a good word to use and having in mind we had been there since 11am you would have thought we were top of the queue. The problem was resolved by a lovely young gentleman behind reception and we were upgraded free of charge.

The room is old fashioned and wasn't overly clean, I had to remove the hairs in the bath and sink which were still in the plug hole.

We didn't try the food as we thought it was a little over priced and instead went to Windsor and Bray Marina.

Lovely position and lovely walks but I wasn't overly impressed with the reception staff they did let the hotel down. If I went back to Windsor I would definitely be staying elsewhere.

The breakfast staff were lovely and so helpful. Breakfast was yummy too.

The unfortunate thing was that we wouldn't consider if for a wedding venue now either !

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Ame1975

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Oakley Court.

It is always disappointing to read a guest review following a less than satisfactory stay, however I am delighted that once a member of my team was aware of your dissatisfaction a quick and efficient resolution was achieved at the time.

For your information, our food is competitively priced for the quality we deliver, I am positive that given the opportunity you would have been pleased with the value for money if you had chosen to eat here.

Obviously a wedding event is very different to booking a bedroom and not utilising any other hotel facility - I am disappointed that you feel the two are the same however I respect your decision on this point.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went here for a meal. We sat in the bar restaurant and ordered drinks and some food. The waitresses were lovely and helpful but unfortunately the food was just a great big let down, which I wouldn't have served to my dog. The chicken we ordered was burnt black and totally un edible, definitely not what you would expect from this hotel.
We ordered a cocktail which was very expensive and overpriced even for Windsor, but the cocktail wasn't made properly and tasted disgusting but apparently the barman was new and nobody thought to assist him to make sure it was done properly.
The grounds of this hotel are stunning with the river running along side and the hotel building is a beautiful period building but as far as I'm concerned that's the only thing it's got going for it.
I don't like writing negative reviews but after sending an email to the hotel with photos of the food attached and not getting any response or an apology then I thought I should make other people aware of this.
Maybe the rather more expensive restaurant in the hotel is better but I feel the hotel should have good quality food in which ever part of the hotel you wish to eat in.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lynetteforbes
RichardSmith2014, General Manager at The Oakley Court, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Lynetteforbes

Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit to the Oakley Court.

Clearly we were not able to deliver the correct standard of food and beverage that we normally deliver within our bar area for your particular meals, I apologise that you have left us with such a poor impression.
I can confirm that I have investigated this isolated incident with my team and corrective actions have already occurred, I can also assure you the situation you have described is highly unusual, we are often praised for our food standards, so this was a surprise to read.

In addition, I can confirm that my Guest Relations Manager has already responded to the email you had sent with regards this matter, please can you contact us again if you have not received this follow up email.

Thank you again for your feedback, as it is only through receiving such feedback that I can effect change for the better at the hotel.

Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I only stayed here for a short business trip so I didn't have the opportunity to fully take in the ambience of the place. Looking at the official photos of the property on the hotel website it is undoubtedly a very impressive stately pile but with a somewhat architecturally unsympathetic "modern" addition for some of the hotel rooms. Having said that the public rooms are lovely and I have no doubt this would be an ideal venue for a romantic stay or a wedding. The rooms themselves are nothing out of the ordinary, I was staying in the "new" part. They are clean and comfortable but unremarkable. Evening meal was good and reasonably priced and the buffet breakfast was fresh and very good. Overall the staff were efficient and polite.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Veteran75

Thank you for your review following your short stay with us recently.

I was please to read that you generally had a good stay with us, our public spaces are "lovely" and we do have many "romantic" breaks at the hotel and of course wedding celebrations as well. I was also pleased to read that you found your bedroom to be "clean and comfortable", for your information, we are now in the process of adding a number of additional elements to our bedrooms to enhance the guest experience while staying the hotel, I am hopeful these changes coupled with our excellent service levels will more than satisfy our guest expectations as we move forward with the business.

Thank you again for your comments.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed overnight, and attended the Wedding event with a friend. Fabulous location, very friendly staff, comfy bed and clean room with lovely view over the gardens and river. There is a great pool and spa. Will be visiting again in July for my friends wedding, really looking forward to repeating the experience.

Room Tip: View of the gardens and river was wonderful, very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Liz B

Thank you for posting your review following your recent visit to Oakley Court. I am delighted that you and your friend had such a wonderful experience at the hotel while attending one of the many weddings we host - I look forward to you returning later this year for your next wedding event!

Rabun Gap, Georgia
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This was the loveliest hotel of the entire trip. In the Windsor countryside and on the River Thames. Simply beautiful!!! The grounds were outstanding as was the food, service and rooms. I could have stayed here for a month, just let me relax down by the river. Would go back here anytime!! Even had real eggs for breakfast, a first as all the other hotels served the "powder egg" variety. Had our farewell dinner here as well and it was very good. Good job!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Tank 725

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at Oakley Court.

You are more then welcome to stay a "month" when you return.

I am delighted that you had such a "wonderful" experience, my team and I pride ourselves on the environment and experiences we create - with "real eggs" on our breakfast offering what more could you ask for!.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We have spent a splendid weekend at the Oakley Court hotel. Although we had two rainy days, the stately interior of the castle, the recreational facilities, the atmosphere provided by the professional staff and the top quality food served compensated us for the bad weather. We will definitely come back for a longer stay.

Room Tip: Executive double
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Arpad S

Thank you for your comments following you recent stay at Oakley Court.

The English weather can be such a let down, but I am pleased you still had a great stay.

Thank you for recognising my "professional" team, service is key and we always endeavour to deliver excellent service, regardless of the weather!