“3 nights at Oakley Court”
Review of The Oakley Court

The Oakley Court
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Windsor
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Smashing weekend at the Oakley Court. We came off a cruise ship in Southampton on a Friday. Our flight out of Heathrow on Monday morning. About 20 minute cab ride to the airport. Wonderful setting right on the Thames River. Great food and service. I would use this hotel anytime I had a overnight at Heathrow. So much more relaxed that at the airport. Very close to Windsor Castle.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
RichardSmith2014, General Manager at The Oakley Court, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear LaQuintaMaggie

Thank you for posting your review following your stay at the Oakley Court Hotel.

We are located within a good travelling distance to Heathrow international Airport, making us an ideal stopover if required, before or after a flight - although we do not suffer from Airplane noise!

I am delighted that you found our food and staff "great".

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Richard Smith

Write a ReviewReviews (2,468)

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a lovely hotel with excellent grounds. Its right on the river and has lovely gardens to relax in. The room was great, we got the executive family room which was very spacious. However, there were a few disappointments. Firstly, The hotel restaurant was quite bad and very expensive for what you get. We ordered a children's pasta which was basically penne and tomato sauce and that cost us £10!! The pasta tasted horrible and bitter and my daughter refused to eat it, which after trying it myself I didnt blame her! I had the sole which was nice but tiny, I was left feeling very hungry. My husband had the burger which he said was ok. Its such a shame because the dining area was lovely and relaxing. Secondly, the water pressure was low in the bathrooms but I can forgive that given the age of the building...still, something I think they could improve on. Finally, the website clearly states that if you get the family executive room they will 'throw in a movie, cookies and milk for the children'. We were there 2 nights and at check out we saw that we were charged for the cookies and milk! After quite an argument with the person dealing with our payment we did have it taken off but were disappointed with the excuses we were getting for the charges.
Despite this, we still left the hotel feeling like it was a lovely place to stay. We used it as a place to stay while we visited legoland, Windsor and Windsor castle but if the food was better, we could have quite happily spent a few days at the hotel enjoying the scenery, sauna/pool and bar!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear bsm20

Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay at the Oakley Court Hotel.

I have taken on board your comments with ref the food we delivered to your family and of course the charges incorrectly made for the cookies and milk, that we provide complimentary to our younger guests each evening in our Executive standard bedrooms. We are currently in the process of changing a number of our menus following the arrival of our new Head Chef - I am positive that you will now see a huge difference in our food if you choose to return in the future.

Thank you again for your feedback, it is most appreciated.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The old saying "all the gear and no idea" kind of applies to this hotel.

2 people on reception with one constantly on the telephone meant a 20 minute check in. Then finding my room is up 3 flights of stairs (even though I'd requested a room with easy access at time of booking) meant that once in my room I stayed there until I checked out / had breakfast. (I have a knee problem and struggle with stairs at the moment).

Lovely plate of fruit in the room so I had a banana - when opened it was 50 soft and black. I was so hungry I ate it regardless.

I therefore ordered room service which came quick enough. Eton Mess was nice but chips were cold and sirloin steak tasteless.

Although the room was spacious - with a lovely bathroom there was no heat whatsoever (despite the radiators being turned up full) and early evening it got very cold. I found myself working on my computer with my coat on - not ideal.

Next morning my alarm clock was a vacuum cleaner being used in the vicinity of my room. That was unusual!

Breakfast was what you would expect in the 80's or 90's and not what you'd expect in a 4-star hotel. They use a buffet style (which is fine) but they keep the hot food in big stainless steel drums which means the heat from the food creates condensation which goes into the food. Therefore I had the floppiest ever hash browns, watery mushrooms and bacon which was almost being poached as it sat there. Sausages were nice though!!

They also use one of the revolving toasters whereby the setting is either hardly toasted or (if you put it through again) black.

Checkout I had to again endure the person the phone while the other served a customer. I gave up waiting - came back 5 minutes later and they were still on the phone. Eventually came off and checked me out of my room. I asked them to email my invoice - I'm still waiting!

A lovely Gothic hotel in beautiful surrounds but sadly when the best rating I can give it is for location I think that says it all.

Room Tip: Check where your room is when booking - you could have a walk outside or up lots of stairs
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Gareth-DM42
RichardSmith2014, General Manager at The Oakley Court, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear Gareth_Online_SI

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at the Oakley Court Hotel.

Clearly we fell short of meeting several of your personal requirements, I apologise that we were not able to offer a better level of service for you on this isolated occasion, however please be assured I have taken your comments on board and have discussed at length with my team to ensure we learn from our mistakes - thank you for taking the time to feedback after your stay.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

My fiance and I have just returned from a 3 night stay at The Oakley Court. We were staying to celebrate our anniversary.
The hotel itself is beautiful located on the river amoungst beautiful grounds.
When we arrived we were appointed our room in the east wing which after all attempts to cool down was still extremely hot. We informed reception the next moring and without hesitation they located us another cooler room in the west wing.
All of the staff were friendly and helpfull and quick to resolve any quiries we had.
The facilities are good too - we enjoyed our first ever game of golf!
The only thing I would advise is that it's quite a way out from shops and bars etc (neccisary for the beautiful location) This wasn't a problem for us as we had the car but when we went out for dinner in the evening we did have to take a taxi which cost around £10 each way to the town of Bray and would be roughly the same into Windsor I would imagine.
All in all we had a relaxing and peaceful trip and would certainly return should we be visiting Windsor again.

Dear 37Ruth

Thank you for posting your review following your three night stay at Oakley Court.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much and that you were able to use a number of our facilities - how is your Golf Handicap!?

I look forward to you returning in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I often use Oakley Court for informal meetings with colleagues. The food is good and the service great. It is quiet and spacious so meetings are easily accommodated. On sunny days the terrace is fantastic overlooking the Thames. Less road noise than the Runneymede but perhaps not as convenient location wise, and not quite as plush but a good alternative.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Karen B
RichardSmith2014, General Manager at The Oakley Court, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Karen B

Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit to Oakley Court.

I am delighted that you are able to use our many public lounges for your informal business meetings, being located near to London, M4/M25 Motorways and of course Heathrow International Airport we are very popular as a destination for these types of meetings.

Please be sure to keep coming back to us, and maybe consider becoming one of our Loyalty Club Members, this great benefit will offer a wealth of recognition and discounts on Food and Beverage that you could enjoy as a regular guest.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Fantastic Hotel, fantastic staff and fantastic food!

What more could we ask for to make our anniversary weekend any more special, we were checked in quickly and directed to our room where we were treated to a bottle of sparkling wine and chocolate as the hotel called us a week ahead to find out the reason for our stay.

The room was huge, clean and very comfy with an enormous bed. We had a fantastic view of the river Thames from our 2nd floor window.

There is a pool with jacuzzi and a steam room and sauna, I used the jacuzzi and pool and was please to see they seemed clean and well maintained, the changing rooms were also very tidy.

We had also made a dinner reservation when we booked and I have to say the food was absolutely amazing. I had Sirloin Steak which was cooked to perfection and incredibly tasty and my wife enjoyed the pork belly which again was cooked brilliantly. We were again surprised by staff at dinner when they presented us a special desert just for us (Picture below).

We went for a walk in the moonlight along the river and back again which given the location was perfect.

Breakfast was again very good all hot and very tasty.

I would definitely recommend staying here and I may well return there myself come our next anniversary

Dear Daveyrach

Thank you for comments following your recent stay at Oakley Court.

Clearly you had a wonderful time during your stay at the hotel, thank you for recognising the many positives from the initial Guest Relations interaction prior to your stay to the excellent breakfast you had before you departed - please be sure to definitely return for your Anniversary next year, and maybe a Birthday treat in between!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Stayed at the Oakley Court last Friday night for a family wedding. Overall I would say that the hotel presents itself well with a pleasant, attentive, staff but there are a few details which could do with some work.

The food. We ate in the bar from the menu from there and whilst the food was ok it was pretty average and probably not good enough to justify the prices being charged. The buffet breakfast though was excellent with lots of tasty options. Being there for a wedding we also had a wedding dinner. With that the food was tasty but the presentation, as Masterchef would say, needed work.

The room itself was clean though a bit dated. The twin beds were rather small given the room price point and I found them rather soft (but that is personal preference). The biggest problem though was that there was some form of overlay from their TV distribution systems on Dave which made it practically unwatchable. This was reported to the staff but they were not able to address it (would have needed something to be done at the central point rather than at the room end I expect).

Overall it was a pleasant stay but I have stayed in hotels with better facilities at this price point.

Room Tip: If you need a ground floor room (for access) then note that rooms in the 3xx range location means th...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Tim H

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Oakley Court.

I was pleased to read that overall the food you ate was to your satisfaction, this included the "excellent" "buffet breakfast" and the "tasty" "wedding dinner", although you personally felt the presentation needed some work - thank you for this constructive feedback. We clearly need to work a little bit more on the bar food as you felt this was just "OK", I will be looking at this menu again in the next few weeks with my Kitchen Team to ensure we deliver a better experience in this area.

For your information, we have now had the "Dave" channel repaired, this was an isolated error that required a specialist contractor to attend site, this unfortunately could not be accomplished while you stayed 1 night with us - I apologise that you did not get to enjoy this particular TV channel to its full.

Once again thank you for your feedback.