“poor room maintainance”

GreenLeadersGold level
lancashire
“poor room maintainance”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Having stayed here the same time last year I was disappointed to have problems with my room, that I considered were not managed appropriately.
On arrival the TV would not work,I investigated this myself and after a few minutes found it was a cable connection issue and remidied it.
I took a shower before an evening engagement but the shower would not turn off.An engineer was duly dispatched who agreed it was not 'operator error' and would have to explore further.I explained I was going out for the evening to all concerned. I left with the shower running.When I returned the shower was off but no note or information so I considered it sorted.
The next morning I realized they had turned the water off but had not told me.after making remonstrations I was moved.
To my amazement the shower in this room was leaking above the shower head and spraying water out in to the bathroom area .There were also old head hairs in the bath area.I did not complain but gave up as I only had one night in the room.
My issue is does no one check that a room is operating satifactory and appliances working before it is released for allocation ?
The rooms remain uncomfortably hot with no or inadequate air conditioning,a real issue for myself and colleagues during a hot spell with similar issues last year.
A shame because otherwise the rooms are comfortable and to a good specification and the setting of course remains spectacular if you have a river facing room.

Room Tip: check the appliances on arrival and book a river view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Richard S, Managing Director at The Oakley Court, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear LancashireIan

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at the Oakley Court.

Cleary we had fallen down not only on our communication process but also our rooms maintenance programme during your stay - I have already investigated your comments with my relevant team members to ensure these issues do not re-occur again in the future - I apologise that your stay was marred by these mistakes.

I am pleased to inform you though that we have had a new Air Cooling system installed, so this will alleviate any future issues in the bedroom you had allocated.

Thank you again for your comments, as it is only through receiving such comments that I am able to effect change for the better at the hotel.

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (587)
  • Turkish first
kent
Reviewed 16 July 2014

From the message to wish us a safe journey, to the welcome glass of prosecco and the friendly staff, we would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.
So much so, when we left after a fabulous evening on the friday; with a brilliant jazz musician on the lawns over looking the river; we returned on the Saturday evening!
The food we had on the terrace was very good and the ambiance is wonderful, sleep quality very good too.
Breakfast areas very busy both morning but again the food good. we then relaxed on the deck chairs on the lawn watching the boats go by, what a wonderful way to spend our weekend.

Room Tip: Request one overlooking the river!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear fivestarKent

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at Oakley Court.

I am delighted that our service levels delivered met/surpassed your expectations - I am also delighted that you enjoyed yourself so much you returned to us the following day!

Thank you again for your comments.

Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is a beautiful property and the site of some fun history. The Rocky Horror picture show was filmed here, along with the original St. Trinian's films and one of the 1960s Avengers films, among many others. The house is beautiful and the grounds are very well kept. The rooms are large and the beds are comfortable. Things are a bit musty and worn, but they seem to be doing some renovation, so that might change. One of our rooms had hot water, the other did not. When we complained, the clerk said "we do apologize" about five times, but offered no genuine hint of concern. It did not seem like anyone was going to look into it. Overall, it was a lovely place to stay but I would keep your expectations low of the rooms and the service.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Richard S, Managing Director at The Oakley Court, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear madomy

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Oakley Court.

I was disappointed to read that once you made a member of my team aware of your isolated issue that it was not dealt with correctly - Please accept my apologies for this poor impression that you have been left with.

However, thank you for also recognising the other more positive elements of our hotel.

Woodford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

We went to Oakley court hotel because we wanted a short break to visit Windsor
We last went there over 20 years ago and remembered it as a wonderful hotel in a fantastic location
Obviously it was still in a spectacular location by the river Thames and the hotel main building is a fantastic gothic building
The rooms are in two wings built around 25 years ago. While the rooms are large and the river view rooms have a fantastic outlook, they feel a bit dated with the corridors are very warm and have a slight musty smell and
no lifts.
Everything you need us in the room, but there is no turn down service, and the toiletries are limited to just shampoo and conditioner, we expected more from such a quality hotel.
Fortunately the breakfast was included in the room cost because it was very poor. The restaurant was dated and looked to have changed little since we last went there, with the buffet breakfast chaotic with people milling around trying to get pretty standard fare. The toaster was particularly niggling, just one in an awkward position to serve a lot if guests at peak time
There was no table service for non buffet items
Parts of the restaurant were very dark and enclosed. We certainly did not feel like having dinner there.
At the time we were there some refurbishment of the main hall, which led to everything, caused considerable inconvenience with noise and dust, which was very unpleasant. There was a brief notice of apology, but that was it!
When we arrived we were greeted by the porter, but were not offered any greeting drink, perhaps the noise of the hall works put them off.
We used the leisure centre just once as the pool was quite small and very crowded with a children's swimming lesson taking up half of it
We would have tried the small golf course but we felt a £10 each green fee plus club and ball hiring costs was a bit mean when it was clearly part of the facilities. Unsurprisingly we never saw anyone on it.
To sum up a great hotel in need of some TLC, and a bit more professionalism from its staff. The porter who checked us in asked us on our last day "if we were checking in".

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CANDMARTIN
Dear CANDMARTIN

Thank you for your comments posted following your recent stay at Oakley Court.

It is always disappointing to read that a guest has had a less than satisfactory stay, and that we were unaware of this dissatisfaction at the time - I apologise that your return stay was not as you would have expected, however please be assured we have developed the hotel over the past 20 years, we large investments in all areas of the hotel, this is set to continue as we further develop the standard and service levels.

Thank you again for your comments, as it is only through receiving feedback such as this that I am able to effect change for the better at the hotel.

Sri Lanka
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

There for a big wedding, stayed 2 nights well looked after from the wedding staff however with a big BUT, front desk staff had little knowledge about wedding or booking in for a 3pm wedding, they did there best but seemed very officious.The hotel needs to 'relax' a little it's tendency to stand in ceremony. Getting a beer from the bar I was asked to sit and wait for table service which was ridiculous to wait for someone to ask what I wanted then tell the same bar guy who asked me to sit and wait?! Greeting concierge was charming as was the guy who helped us with the bride & grooms presents etc. On leaving, same cool guy who plays the many sax in the bar. Thanks.

Stayed May 2014
Dear lookinglost

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Oakley Court.

I acknowledge your feedback with ref the reception team and bar table service offering, I apologise that you were disappointed with these two elements of our hotel, however I was delighted to read that both the Butlers (Concierge) and the Wedding team were able to deliver against your expectations.

New Quay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

a lovely relaxing 2 night break right by the riverside a wonderful setting ,close to Windsor,and London .bedrooms were comfortable , staff very pleasant. I enjoyed the bar meal menu rather than the restaurant. would return again

Room Tip: bedroom overlooking the river
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear missyWales

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Oakley Court.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay - my team and I look forward to you returning again soon.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

i have stayed here on a few occasions and absolutely love it. sat right on the thames, the gardens are maintained beautifully. the rooms are clean and have everything you would expect from a four star. i always feel totally relaxed here and cant wait to go back.

Room Tip: have room service for breakfast, we sat at our table looking out at the thames, fab!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Swensley78

Thank you for posting your comments following your recent stay at the Oakley Court Hotel.

It was pleasure to see that as one of our regular guests you continue to enjoy our standards and service levels - we look forward to you returning soon.