“Hotel of two halves!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Middle England
“Hotel of two halves!”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We stayed for two nights over the weekend as a rare treat for me and Hubby!
There was in our experience nothing average about the hotel. It was either amazing or awful. Really feel this hotel could be great (and parts of it were) but sadly missed the mark for us in a few areas.
Outside the original hotel is a beautiful building with lots of Movie history, the grounds are truly lovely and very well kept, but the additions to the hotel that were obviously put on in the 70-80's let the total look down.
Inside, again parts of the hotel have been brought up to date and they do the quirky country house look very well - the room we stayed in however looked like a through back to the 80's, all peachy chintzy wallpaper and curtains, heavy wood furniture and non-descript prints.
Pool was great but the changing rooms were appalling.
Golf course was great fun but the clubs we were given were half left handed.
I understand the hotel is going through a period of change so perhaps they will bring it all into line?
As for the service - some of of the staff were excellent and very helpful. Others look like they weren't quite sure what they were supposed to be doing! Eager beavers heading off to fufil our requests but then never coming back and then when a complaint was made, massive and heartfelt apologies, but then again never coming back to sort it....Mmmm.
In summary - be prepared to be wowed and then underwhelmed!
Don't eat in the bar - but do use the bikes to cycle into Windsor, sit on the lawn in the deckchairs, swim in the pool and enjoy the atmosphere.

Room Tip: Try to get a river view if you can. This was lovely and very quiet. Some of the other rooms overlook...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank QueenieRoadie
Richard S, Managing Director at The Oakley Court, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear QueenieRoadie

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Oakley Court.

We are indeed going through a period of change at the hotel, with many different projects underway, along with a quality of service enhancement where required.

Thank you for your feedback as it is only through receiving such comments from our guests that we are able to effect change for the better at the hotel.

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

The setting and grounds of this hotel are lovely, unfortunatey that is the only good thing about staying at this venue. Very poor in all aspects and certainly NOT the luxury experience it would claim to be. We had 2 rooms , with 1 soiled and dingy bathrobe between the rooms, no toiletries, no choice of TV channels ( only 10 channels) very poor and cheap bedlinen/pillow/duvet . Breakfast very mundane , little choice and not good quality, £10 for a sandwich containing 2 small pieces of chicken,a couple of slivers of avocado and lettuce !!£6 for a tomato juice ! Cost to hire a boat is £50 per hour - double the rate of boat hire a few miles down the road. Avoid !!

Room Tip: This hotel more suited to large scale business/conference use .
2 Thank Gina T
Dear Gina T

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Oakley Court.

I apologise that you felt our standards did not match our pricing levels, however please be assured for the quality of environment and service levels we provide in our market place we are very competitive, my team and I constantly monitor our pricing to ensure we remain correctly placed for all areas of the hotel.

Ashton Keynes,Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Met old school friends here for afternoon tea. What a beautiful hotel even a on rainy day.

Tea served in one of the fantastic rooms and was very good. We opted for the Afternoon set tea and were not disappointed. As much tea as we could drink, we were not rushed and spent a very pleasant afternoon catching up with our news. Sandwiches, cakes and scones were plentiful and as we could not manage to eat them all, they willingly boxed them up for us to take home.

Shame the weather wasn't better as the position is superb alongside the Thames. ( They supply picnics to eat in the garden.)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Pat B

Thank you for your comments made following your recent visit to Oakley Court.

I was delighted to read that you and your friends enjoyed our Afternoon Tea service, please do come back to us in the future - try and choose a sunny day and have your tea outside overlooking the River Thames.

SW UK
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I'm writing this review from room 417 of the 'travelodge wing' of the oakley court hotel and it's far from special.

Upon arrival we went to reception where a very quietly spoken lady with a thick Asian accent made herself practically incomprehendable I'm afraid, hardly the skills required by a receptionist.

We were given room 416 which was quite simply awful. Immediately it was apparent that the trouser press had fallen from the wall at some point and was just resting against the wall. We found numerous large dried out flies and insects on the floors. The wall by the entrance door had a whole in it, although only small shouldn't it be filled? The walls were dirty and the carpet was thread bare in places.

The duty manager changed us to room 417. Upon light inspection it appeared much better, on closer inspection we found the plug hole in the bath full of long dark hair...nice. Dust everywhere and no liners in the bin.

We went and ate in the bar, where members of staff stood in small groups chatting and laughing for much of the time we were there. Our food came reasonably promptly but arrived warm at best. It was returned and hot meals turned up, steak good, pasta bland at best. For the price it was poor.
The waitress didn't know what the 'house butter' that accompanies the steak contained.

After speaking the c&b manager we were given the meal as complimentary.

Observations made while sat in the bar. The barman made several cocktails and mixed other drinks where he used his fingers to place ice in glasses, his fingers to place lemon in glasses and handed glasses to customers with his fingers around the top of the glass. All while 'training' somebody. The waitresses were loud and jovial and sometimes in a group of 4 or 5 at the bar chatting minutes at a time. No direction was apparent.

This may seem like a damning review, for what you purport to be it should be. I'm an ex hotelier and Michelin trained chef of 20 years. I know what good service is and what it's worth, from my short experience at the oakley court I would go elsewhere.

4 Thank woomeister
Richard S, Managing Director at The Oakley Court, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear woomeister

Thank you for your comments now made following your recent stay at Oakley Court.

First and foremost, please allow me to apologise for the aspects of our service and standards that you were disappointed with.

Clearly we had fallen down on meeting your particular expectations during your stay - I have personally viewed both the rooms that you had been allocated and made some slight alterations where required. I have also dealt with the feedback you have made with regards the Bar Team.

I can assure I have taken your feedback most seriously and changes have occurred where required. Thank you for taking the time to advise me of these isolated issues.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We went Windsor legoland for my sons 4th birthday we also had out 6 years old daughter firslty we stayed in different estate house in Windsor and it was amazing and we decided to stay in this special hotel with amazing history and great restaurant for our second night,what a big mistake.

We arrived to hotel at 3pm ,my husband checked in, we booked deluxe river view room, and we booked fix menu dinner at restaurant for my sons birthday.

Room was average and tired,it was partial river view,we had to close the curtains for privacy because most windows was looking at bar,there was no extra bed as we requested,there was no extra towels for kids.they left bed outised we took it inside it was broken than they brought new one ,i did not even asked cot for my son ,i just expected more form 4 star hotel.

there was no extra treatment for my son,nothing in the room ,not in the dinner not even after dinner in bar , not even crayon or child drawing pack, nothing. luckily we brought our own cake. even in legoland restaurant staff went had a surprise cake for him .

We went to dinner at 7.00 pm it was fix menu,kids £10 adult £30 plus drink.
Food was terrible,it was very pretentious without being Michelin restaurant ,

it was just awful menu ,starter was salty,main course was dry (and they charged extra for steak with no taste) i had to ask some meat juice ,desert was terrible cake was so dry and to sweet,even some of the bread was not edible .

kids meal was okay .The service was so slow and bad,kids were starving and before dinner arrived than we waited ages for his cake arrived (luckily i brought my own cake and gave to restaurant not to disappoint my 4 year old ) they waited so long for food my son was nearly sleeping , i ask 3 times for they to bring his cake, service was terrible there was a waitress who did not even smiled and he was rude and slow and they still charged 10% ,than that explain bad service because they got they money no matter .what so they did not need to be nice.

if i am paying over £100 for meal i at least expect a smile and crayon for my kids, we did not felt welcome.i wish i took him to pizza express instead.

we stayed lots of hotel and this one was one of the worst.it was not child friendly.

hotel itself had nice building and grounds ,it is shame wasted like this , the service was terrible,and like this is not enough at the breakfast my son was playing by the window and there was a old couple next table ,and her bag was by the window my son who just turn 4 night before we did nor seen it but i think he touch her from back or to her hand bags cords or something suddenly she was screaming, she was around 55-60 years old i told her to behave herself ,she lost it ,all the waitresses come she left he room,other customers thought she was lunatic she said terrible things ,my son was upset but hotel staff did nothing to comfort my children or us ,we did not even receive an apology, we left for our room than we paid and we left hotel not to return,it is a horror place .it ruined my sons birthday it was a waste of money ,it was a real horror movie

Room Tip: don't pay for deluxe room it had partial view
Dear elifff

Thank you for your comments now posted on this guest feedback site, please accept my apologies that we did not deliver against your expectations on this particular occasion.

As you are already now aware, we have corresponded separately with regards your feedback and incorrect initial booking made by your chosen booking partner, this initial error made by others permitted a catalogue of missed opportunities for you and your family - again as you are aware I have sent correspondence to your booking partner to make them aware of their error and not that of the Oakley Court Hotel.

Thank you again for corresponding with me on this feedback - and once again please accept my apologies for any poor impression you have been left with that was as a direct fault of my team at the hotel.

Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

My 8th year returning for the August Bank holiday weekend and the place never seems to change, but changes dramatically every time.
A beautiful location along the Thames. A few of us hired a boat again and went along the river.

I also went for a game of golf, as well as the usual swim and sauna - which they supply plenty of towels. A costume spinner would be a wonderful addition, so not to be carrying wet swimsuits around.

Some of the food had changed so nothing for me to eat this year at the picnic, and I left to go elsewhere, and the breakfast was its usual feast of delights.

The works thus far look to be in very nice order and I can't wait to see if there are to be any room changes as there hasn't been in all the years I've been going, and although most of the rooms are large, the decor is always bland and tired. Some patched holes in the ceiling of the room we stayed in.
The large wall table in my room had a broken leg and looked like it was going to fall over if anything was put on it. I asked 3 times to have it looked at, but no change and I walked around it gingerly.

The golf course is very sweet and my first year playing on there. I used the hotels clubs, and when I got to the first tee noticed four 3 irons, a bent 8 iron and no putter. Lovely little short 9 hole course to be honest though. I did inform them when I went back. So do check your club before you leave.
All in all -
fab house to roam around.
Beautiful lands
Cycle usage, golf, pool, sauna, for hotel guests.
Boats or boots to hire.
Amazing staff who look after you.
Best place to relax and i'll see you next year.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Carol M

Thank you for your comments following your recent 8th return stay at Oakley Court.

I was pleased to read that overall we continue to please you, I have taken on board your comments about the isolated small changes we need to make, and I can assure you they have already all been dealt with!

I look forward to welcoming you back next year for your 9th visit.

Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

After many years of wanting to visit this particular hotel let me tell you I was not disappointed! I walked round in awe at just how stunning it really is. The architecture and scenery are beautiful.
I visited for an event that the hotel so graciously hold every year for fans of the movie Rocky Horror Picture Show, one of the many classic and cult films set there. It's so nice that in spite of being a world class hotel that the owners indulge the fans and embrace their history in such a lovely way!
The service was impeccable, the food delicious and the room we stayed in was incredible. Although we didn't spend much time in it as we were too busy out and about admiring the grounds!
I could go on and on about how amazing this hotel truly is, however I would just recommend that you go see for yourself. It's what I imagine a perfect hotel to be!

• Stayed August 2014
Dear kellykat83

Thank you for your comments following you recent stay at Oakley Court.

I was pleased that you were able to book your stay during our annual "Rocky Horror" weekend, this is a very popular event that we host every year for the many fans of this cult movie - that was filmed at Oakley Court.

Please do return to us in the future and enjoy another leisurely stay with us.