“Not bad for 500 year age”

Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Windsor
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 6 nights during a biz trip. First time in Windsor. I was upgraded and my room was in the primary part of the hotel, which was nice. Room was spacious enough and certainly had the unique charm of an old historic property. Big step down to the barroom area and big step up into the shower. Not an issue for me but if you are not in perfect health, could be a real issue.
Floors were super creaky, rooms above as well. Thankfully my above room mate was not a dancer or a late night parties so no issues, but I heard from other biz associates who were kept awake by late night folks located above their room.
Overall I liked this hotel and Windsor as well, very neat town.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
GMMercureCastle, General Manager at Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear kenuga,

Thank you for your review following your 6 night stay with us. I was pleased to read you liked the hotel and had an enjoyable stay with us. I hope we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Windsor in the near future.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
GMMercureCastle, General Manager at Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Reviewed 1 February 2014

Hotel is right in the centre of Windsor close to the castle and is a great hotel in a Georgian building. The staff were great and very helpful. The ladies in the restaurant during the evening meal were just great. All the others were friendly and helpful The room was good although there was no real view and the detitus by the air conditining didn't enhance what view we had. Being an old building it is a bit noisey.
Breakfast good WiFi connection was a bit difficult to connect to and phone reception was patchy

Room Tip: Upgrade to get front rooms but expect some noise
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
GMMercureCastle, General Manager at Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear Wrappo,

Thank you for you recent review, I was delighted you had a good stay with us. I will pass on your positive comments to the team and also look in to the WIFI and phone coverage points you highlight as this not something we normally experience issues with. I hope we can welcome you back to Windsor in the near future.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

We were looking for a hotel where we could relax for a weekend after a hectic Christmas, and we had a lovely stay. The reception staff were polite and welcoming, our room was well appointed and the beds were wonderful. We were going to the Theatre that evening so we had dinner at 6.30 to accommodate this, we were on a dinner B & B booking, the food was well presented and very good, as was the wine. Service was polite, timely and non intrusive. As I always panic about being late I asked for our cheese, biscuits and wine to be taken to our room for when we returned, the maitre d asked for our return time and said he would take this to our room 15mins prior to return so it didn't go soft/hard which he did. Wonderful. The following day we had b'fast at 10am, there was an extensive cold buffet and hot buffet which was excellent and as much tea/coffee/toast as you could want (served at table). After leaving our room we relaxed even further in the bar / lounge and topped this stay off with afternoon tea. A lovely stay in the heart of Windsor. A well appointed hotel with excellent staff.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
GMMercureCastle, General Manager at Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear TrishandDee,

Thank you for your sharing your positive experience of the hotel. I will be delighted to share your feedback with all of the team who I know will be encouraged by this recognition. I hope we can welcome you back to Windsor in the near future.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Great hotel, perfect location just opposite to Windsor castle.
Very good service, comfortable room.
Tast breakfast with wide selection (cold and hot buffet)
little bit higher price, but probably equal to location and quality.

Dear Vaclav H,

Thank you for your recent review and positive comments about your experience and in particular your mention of our service levels which we work very hard on trying to ensure we achieve with consistency. I hope we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

I have been using trip advisor for a numbers of years as a reference when looking for places to stay and have been putting off writing reviews until now. The Mercure Windsor Castle Hotel was the catalyst to start my trip advisor reviews. Based on previous reviews I decided to stay here for 1 night. Check in was prompt and courteous but unfortunately that is where it ended. As a regular traveler to the UK and Europe I have stayed in numerous hotels. Staying in a 4star hotel you have certain expectations which the 4 star Mercure fails to provide. The bedroom was very disappointing. You do not expect a 4star hotel bedroom to be heated by an oil filled radiator. While the room was clean the decor needs a revamp. The bathroom was cold and the window with the peeling paint needs a once over. Breakfast the next morning was adequate. Maybe I was unlucky with my bedroom allocation but for £219 I expected a lot more. I have stayed in nicer 3 star hotels.

Room Tip: Avoid room 110
1  Thank Paul B

Dear Paul B,

Thank you for your recent review. I'm disappointed that your experience with ourselves was the catalyst to start writing reviews as either myself or my operations manager would have loved to discuss your comments with you. Please be assured we review and discuss all feedback we recieve and will certainly be looking and addressing the comments you raise and highlight within the bedrooom. I hope in the future we could have the chance to welcome you back to deliver the experience I know we are capable of and to which many of our reviews testify.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

The staff here are very friendly and do their best. On the negative side, the bar takes for ever to be served, the rooms are a bit dated, the beds are too soft and it's too expensive.

Not their fault (the whole street was affected) but there was a power cut for 1.5 hours on the night I arrived. What was their fault is that no one thought to check that everything was working correctly afterwards, and so ... 7am the next day ... every person in the hotel had a cold shower - brilliant start to a working week!

If you are visiting Windsor, then this has location on it's side, but I would consider somewhere nearby with a good TripAdvisor rating and just get a cab or public transport in.

2  Thank RSP71
GMMercureCastle, General Manager at Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear RSP71,

Thank you for your recent review and positive feedback about the friendliness of the team. Please accept my apologies for the power cut which took place within Windsor town centre on Sunday night and the lack of hot water , the team did reset all of the systems including the boiler but unfortunately the power cut caused some failures internally with them that required a specialist engineer to attend site and repair which took place on the Monday morning. Please be assured the team did all they could to rectify this as quickly as they could for our customers.
I hope we can welcome you back to Windsor in the future.