“Very poor show”

Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Windsor
“Very poor show”
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

I booked two nights at this hotel, to stay with my husband as I had a corporate event at Royal Ascot on the Saturday. Problems emerged shortly after we booked in. The room was in poor condition with shabby furniture and the table had heated cup rings all over it;really quite poor quality considering the expense of the room. The room was incredibly small. We left the room for an evening out but when we came back the room key would not allow us to gain access to our room. We had to go back to reception to have the key reset. The next day we went out and asked at reception for them to book a taxi for me for 11.30 to take me to my corporate event at Ascot, which they said they did. I returned later that morning and again the key would not work. In fact I had to return to reception four times for it to be reset eventually someone came with me to ensure that I was trying to get into the correct room, which was quite insulting. While getting changed in the room I received a telephone call asking if it was okay to bring breakfast to my room this was a breakfast I had not ordered. I told the fellow that I had not ordered breakfast. The taxi did not arrive. I checked with reception several times and they became impatient with me telling me to wait, it would be there soon. I also confirmed that the phantom breakfast had not been added to my account . In fact it had been added to my account and the reception staff looked at me quite dubiously when I told them I had not ordered this breakfast and to remove it from my account. At 12:20 I lost my patience the taxi being nearly an hour late. The reception staff were less than helpful and had become equally as impatient with me for keep pestering them. Eventually they called a different taxi firm which turned up within minutes. I was late for my corporate event missing lunch and getting into quite a lot of hot water with my employers. When I returned later that evening,guess what, my room key wouldn't allow access into the room! I had to be reset again. I met up with my husband who was equally unimpressed by the whole scenario telling me that when he had returned that morning the hotel key had not worked to allowed him access to the room. He told me the reception staff had suggested he was trying to gain access to the wrong room and took him there to make sure he was going into the right one. The key still didn't work. Later in the afternoon while I was out and my husband returned to the hotel he sat in the bar and he was alone in the bar with the bartender. He asked if the television channel could be switched to the football. He was told no it couldn't it had to be on the rolling news. He suggested that if anyone else came into the bar that rolling news be put back on that as there was only him there would he really mind changing the channel. The bartender refused. Later that evening when we had returned from our evening out we went into the bar with the room full of people where the football was on. My husband was deeply upset by this as it suggested that he had been personally singled out. When checking out of the hotel bill was incorrect and we were being overcharged. When we asked to look at the bill only a receipt for car parking was produced not the bill for the hotel. I asked the receptionist to account precisely for the charges given I knew exactly how much I should have been paying. At this point she accepted I was being overcharged and corrected the bill. Overall a wholly unsatisfactory experience. The hotel is in a lovely location but I would not stay there or in any other Mercure hotel or affiliated hotel based on the standard of incompetence as at this hotel. The room was quite expensive and we expected a high standard. We did not find this. I definitely would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Saraplattsy
GMMercureCastle, General Manager at Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Saraplattsy,

Thank you for your recent review. I have also received your customer satisfaction questionnaire we send to guests upon departure and we will be in contact shortly to discuss the points you raise and to assure you the experience you had was not to our normal standard and I personally apologise for the shortfalls you experienced during your stay with us.

David Hayden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Spent a week at the Mercure for a business meeting in June. Our company also used the meeting facilitiesfor the week.

As a location, it is ideally situated. It a very short walk to Windsor castle and the town of Windsor has that comfy age old feel. There are lots of restuarants and pubs about and its also a short walking distance from the train station.

I'm sure there are going to be complaints that the rooms are small. Anyone who is expecting US type rooms will be sorely dissappointed. That said the rooms are avergae sized for Europe. If you want to travel Europe and not pay through the roof pricing, get used to it. London, France, Germany, Poland, Italy.....similar sized rooms in this price range.

Staff we very accomodating esp for local info and my wife was quite happy with them, and food quality was high level. Though, do take the time to go out and eat......you only have a less that five minute walk to find anything from Italian to Thai food.

This hotel can probably make it on locale alone.

Now the negatives:
Old hotel.....understandable.....keeps the windsor feel, but expect older furnishings, older plumbing. I thought the pants press was quite a hoot!!
Limited parking....note if you drive
No elevatiors. Not that there are that many floors, but if you have awkard suitcases or use a wheelchair.....take careful note.
This is probably going ot sound particular, but given it was June and temps were max 25-27C, sometime it would be low teens. We live somewhere the temps is usually 28-33C, so would have been good to have some heat. I take it they didnt have the heat active in Summer in London. That said....its easier to put on clothes to stay warm.

Overall, i'd recomment the hotel to anyone staying in Windsor. Likely we may stay there again next year.

Room Tip: Enquire if you want a room with a view...ours was over a wall and a car park. But we didn't mind...
Dear Sean C,

Thank you for your recent comprehensive review. I was pleased to read that you found many positives at the hotel during your stay and please be assured we follow through on the other points you raise and address any we are able to do. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The location in the High Street opposite the Guild Hall is great for accessing all the tourist attractions. The room was tiny - we had to move furniture to make space to open cases. The air-con wasn't working for over a day and the window did not open, so the room was very hot and uncomfortable. The reception staff were quite surly when we complained and said nothing could be done because it was a weekend. The hotel is not suitable for guests with mobility issues - to access one wing you have to climb about 17 stairs, and there are stairs at the front entrance also. However the hotel was redeemed to some extent by staff in the restaurant and bar who were fantastic. Also the evening meals in the restaurant are exceptional - but breakfast is fairly uninspired.

Room Tip: If you have mobility problems make sure you ask if there are stairs to the room location
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
GMMercureCastle, General Manager at Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear brockie14,

Thank you for your recent review and feedback we are sadly restricted a little with our access in the hotel due to the age of large parts of the building dating back to the 1500's. Please be assured I will follow up on the points you raise with the team and take any appropriate action we can. May I also thank you for your positive comments about the staff in the bar and the restaurant and also the food at dinner. I hope we can welcome you back to Windsor at some point in the future.

Birmingham
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Spent 3 nights here during Whitsun week; firstly, the hotel has its own small car park (at £10 a night) which is accessed from the front of the hotel, directly off the main road. There’s a car park attendant to find you a spot, but I imagine that if the hotel has a high occupancy you’d struggle to get one.
We had upgraded to a Superior room as I was under the impression that we’d have a view of the castle. Unfortunately, the only view we had was of the uppermost battlements in the distance, behind several other buildings. Think the hotel website could be a lot clearer when they talk about ‘castle views’. The hotel also claims to be the nearest located to the castle, but there are 2 others that are closer and have much better, open views. Nonetheless, although it’s not in the best position for castle views, it’s still an easy stroll to all of the main tourist sites in Windsor.

Considering the price we paid for the upgrade, we didn’t think it was good value. The room and en-suite bathroom was small and cramped and although it faced onto the main road, the sash windows were fixed so that they could only open about 10 inches, so there was no opportunity to look out on the daily march past of the changing of the guards. The only other ‘benefits’ of the £20 a night surcharge seemed to be a pair of dressing gowns, a coffee maker and a fridge. Admittedly, it included complimentary soft drinks, but Just not worth the money, I’m afraid!

Following a night of heavy rain, we were surprised to find a bucket in the corridor outside our room, collecting water from a leaking roof. The water actually dripped through a live ceiling light fitting; it was still in place 2 days later when we checked out!

We never tried the evening meals but the breakfast was a hot buffet style, with a good choice which was ok, other than some of the trays had no drainage, so consequently sausages & bacon were swimming in grease at the bottom!

On the plus side, all of the staff we encountered were friendly, pleasant and efficient, but taking everything as a whole, don’t think the hotel is good value.

Room Tip: Don't bother with 'Superior' rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
GMMercureCastle, General Manager at Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear trev2906,

Thank you for your recent review and comments. Please be assured I will review these with the team and take the appropriate actions where needed.

Harlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We had an anniversary gift of an afternoon tea here.
Location is excellent for Castle, shops and river.

Staff were friendly and helpful. The afternoon tea experience we had was pleasant. Finger sandwiches, fancy cakes and scones, clotted cream and homemade jam. All elegantly served in the traditional way.

An enjoyable experience, cannot comment on cost as this was a gift.

Added bonus was the car parking available, competitively priced, and with 15% discount when eating/dining at hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
GMMercureCastle, General Manager at Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Biddyfun,

Thank you for your review, I was pleased to read that you found our afternoon tea to be pleasant and served traditionally. I will pleased to share your feedback with the team and hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

This hotel has a great location and good service. But for the cost? The carpet and furniture in my room should have been replaced ages ago and the caulking in the bath has mold growing. The bed is almost done. No exercise facilities isn't a plus either.

If you stay, you there for the location.

1 Thank T N
Dear T N,

Thank you for your recent review, I was disappointed to read you found the accommodation element of your stay tired. I will pick this up with the relevant members of the team and address any of the areas we can. I hope we can welcome you back to Windsor in the near future.