“very classy, comfortable, fabulous location, great food in restaurant”

Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Windsor
Burnsville, Minnesota
“very classy, comfortable, fabulous location, great food in restaurant”
Reviewed 17 October 2009

Check in was as expected. The rooms were small, but very well appointed. Bathroom was also a bit small, but also brilliantly appointed. But the best part of all at this hotel is the location. Right down the street from Windsor Castle. The hotel was quaint and hard charm and coziness. My parents and I had a perfect stay here.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
New Forest, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2009

The hotel is excellently located right in the centre of Windsor, couldn't get any more central.

The room we had was not huge, but was big enough and well-equipped with iron, hairdryer, tea making facilities. The bathroom was nice with a full bath with shower over. Despite being very central I didn't notice any noise in the room, although it wasn't facing the street.

We paid £109 fot the night for a double room including breakfast, which I think was quite good value for a hotel in the UK.

The only downside was the service, it wasn't bad or anything but we noticed that at the breakfast just after we arrived there were some people who had to wait as there weren't enough tables. The breakfast was a buffet and there was plenty to choose from. Toast and tea/coffee was ordered separately. It was also possible to order extra things eg eggs benedict, kippers etc, but those people who had ordered this were waiting a long time.

Another annoyance was that check out was at 12, so after breakfast we went for a walk (and saw the Queen driving herself to church!). We got back at 1130, went back to the room to get our bags to check out and our key cards had already been deactivated so we couldn't get in the room - annoying!! Had to go back down to the reception to get the cards reactivated so we could get back in. This didn't seem to be an accident or anything, Reception said 'yes we've de-activated them'. If check out is at 12, then deactivate the card at 12, not 11 etc.

Anyway, all my moans aside I would recommend this hotel to someone staying in Windsor, and I would stay here again, just get down to breakfast early, don't order anything special to be made by the kitchen and prepare to be locked out of your room!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 8 October 2009

This hotel is literally steps from Windsor Castle and is a short walk from the train station. There are tons of cafes and shops in the area so we we really happy about that. The hotel itself is nice - we were a little bummed to find out that we could not get a room with two double beds - but otherwise it was fine. The staff was not particularly helpful or nice, but that didn't hamper our stay in a big way. They have a bar that is open late and serves food and drinks so overall we were really happy with this hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
Aberdeen
Reviewed 7 October 2009

Short staffed, long waits at bar, dinner and breakfast.
Even when bar is busy there is only one poor soul behind the bar, not his fault but he often gets the brunt of complaints.
Last night 1 hour after ordering still no starters, walked out.
This morning 20 minutes wait for toast, arrived cold slices of bread which must have been in the toaster for 10 seconds.
Wireless internet rates extortionate.
Have to come back because my company has a deal here, but wouldn't recommend the place.
These long waits are due to short staffing rather than staff quality. The staff they have are actually good.Management need to take this onbaord otherwise when MacDonalds open next door they're going to seriously lose out.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Reading, Berks
Reviewed 7 October 2009

Stayed over for one night in a basic room, but really impressed.

Old style hotel with loads of history, however quality ambience and very clean and modern touches. Very clean and modern but quality room. Excellent bar thats stayed open late with really skilled barman. Great breakfast.

Great location in the center of Windsor.

You could ask for little more !

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Dublin
Reviewed 26 September 2009

I stayed in this hotel in summer for business in June 2009 and felt let down. I was attending a meeting in Slough and wished to stay in a hotel that was not bordered by motorway on all sides. I checked out tripadvisor and choose Windsor castle.
My colleagues and I arrived in late one evening and ordered a club sandwich and a beer. The sandwiches arrived late and cold and tasteless.
The next morning for a price of 15 sterling we had a dried out buffet breakfast. I am sorry but for this money expect the breakfast to be cooked to order no buffet. I had tea and toast for 15 sterling.
The room was clean, shower good, bed large for a singe small for a double but as the hotel is on the Heathrow flight path from about 5am the air traffic will make an impact on your sleep.
During our stay the fire alarm went off in the morning while I waited for a taxi. The staff
Abandoned ship and assembled in the car park. There was no interaction with residents.
It appeared to be a drill, one wonders what would happen in an emergency.
This hotel is trading on its proximity to the castle and some in accurate reviews in trip advisor.
This is the first time I have disagreed with trip advisor. My company paid for the stay but I will not return or my colleagues.

Stayed September 2009
1 Thank CFGDublin
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2009

First the upside. It's very near the train station and the castle, so if you're on the right side you might get some lovely views. It's also got parking.

Now the downside. It's completely souless and not worth anywhere near the money they charge. The public rooms are a bit of mish mash, and in another age might have been described as "charming". In this age, I'd describe them as faded. We had a feature double and it was tiny. Poky. Horrible in fact. We were attending a wedding, so no big deal I suppose, but for over £150 a night??? Shocking.

I suppose it's a result of the hotel choice being so awfully appalling in Windsor that this hotel gets anywhere near the top ten. Ditto for Windsor restaurants, they're all just terribly mediocre.

All of which is such a shame, because Windsor itself is delightful and historic and really worth the visit. Still, is this one of the best hotels in Windsor? If so, it makes me ashamed.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple