“NEVER AGAIN!!!”

Ranked #141 of 249 Restaurants in Windsor
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I was one of the part with NW the "appalling" review. If anything I believe that her review was generous. Everything she said was accurate but it is impossible to convey just how obnoxious and rude the restaurant manager was. He seemed to take it as a personal affront that we had the audacity to think we should have been served our food within 35 minutes or so of ordering, that is once we had found someone to take the order. He was also very put out and rude that the food promised as imminent on the first complaint was still not there 20 minutes later and his only comment was "you have not waited that long". It is not just what he said but the way he said it, his body language and insolent manner. A thoroughly horrible, expensive and upsetting evening. Food was nice but would never ever step foot inside the place again. Basil Fawlty is alive and well and now managing Caleys Restaurant!.

2  Thank elizabeth w
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Caleys Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear Guest

I was most concerned to receive the feedback from your party about your dinner experience and as previously mentioned, I am in email correspondence with a member of your party and interviews with the team are being completed so that your concerns can be addressed.

Your experience is not at all reflective of our usual standards and I can assure you that I will ensure it could not be repeated.

Kind regards

Reviewed 22 February 2014

I have just returned from the worst evening meal experience ever with my family!
Actually the food (when it finally arrived) was ok but the service wasn't . However, I would probably have forgiven the terrible service had it not been for the totally obnoxious, arrogant and rude restaurant manager!
We sat down at 7.30pm, 30 minutes later we had to ask to make our order (despite the restaurant not being at all busy), 35 minutes later when our order had not arrived we had the cheek to ask where it was! I was informed by a very superior restaurant manager that it was because somebody had ordered a burger which took 25 minutes to cook (??? No mention of this on the menu!) and that it was just being plated up. Fine! 20 minutes later - still no food! We were then rude enough to complain again! At which point the manager basically told us we had nothing to complain about and that we hadn't been waiting that long!! Not even a word of apology!
After he had been extraordinarilly rude to my brother I followed the manager out of the restaurant to ask for his name. having taken a note I returned to my seat only to find that he had followed me to inform me of the name of his manager! His behaviour stirred up an already aggravated table.
NEVER have I been subjected to such rudeness in any restaurant! We were made to feel as though any request was unreasonable.
I run a PR company - I was considering this hotel for a client event this summer - that will now not be happening!
Totally disgraceful! Do not bother! The fact that this was the only restaurant in Windsor where we were able to get a table on a Saturday night is very telling!

Dear Guest

I was extremely concerned to receive your review and as mentioned in my email correspondence with your party, I am currently completing a full investigation with the restaurant team as the experience you described is in no way reflective of our usual standards.

I am sorry for the disappointment you and your party were caused and assure you that this matter is being addressed.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

I like the ambience of the hotel and the restaurant. We really enjoyed our fillet steak, chips, mushroom and tomato. The starter calamari was served hot and the batter crispy, but it had little flavour, otherwise a very good meal. Wine is a bit pricey BUT the restaurant does take Tastecard and I'm a member so we weren't too bothered or too broke.

GM_Windsor, General Manager at Caleys Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2014

Dear Guest

I was pleased to read your review following your recent visit to Caleys.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your experience - we hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Stayed at this hotel for two nights, same as the restaurant it was good, but staff was genuinely unfriendly...went down to Caleys for a quick bite in my t-shirt(and trousers), stood by bar a fair while before I cornered someone about a bite, being on my own said just sit by bar table, he looked annoyed and said something I didn't understand but heard menu and saw him pointing, so I sat down, several customers came to bar and got served, eventually I got up, went to the bar again and waited waited waited, tired of being ignored left and went out, walked around couldn't find anything, so after 15 minutes came back, stood by bar, called a waiter to me said I will have the fillet steak and a glass of wine at that table pointing, suddenly he was talking to me...I sat down, swiftly cutlery and would you like any side orders turned up, and my glass of wine, little later my fillet with extras, fantastic food...but the staff...no doubt having a t-shirt on got me totally ignored, but at the prospect of paying £50 for a fillet and two glasses of wine it all changed...rubbish!!! So dress nicely then you can have a fantastic steak..we found the same throughout the hotel...

1  Thank Us_twoVasteras
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Caleys Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Dear Us_twoVasteras

I was extremely sorry to learn of your disappointment with the service you experienced during your recent stay at the Macdonald Windsor Hotel.

I would like to assure you that we do not tolerate this kind of behaviour from our staff and your experience is not at all reflective of our usual feedback. I will be personally investigating into this mater and completing a retraining programme with the team so that your experience could not be repeated.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed the food you experienced and hope that with my reassurance, you will return to the Macdonald Windsor. Do contact me direct when you are planning a visit and I would be delighted to take care of the arrangements for you.

Warm regards

Reviewed 19 September 2013

Was staying at the MacDonald and had breakfast and room service from the Caley's kitchen. I would say that the breakfast was the highlight of the meals I was served. It has a nice cold buffet and made to order hot breakfast (try thheir breakfast sausages very good). I would say it is better than average hotel fare and an above average setting. The room servic fare was on par. The nicest surprise was the cheese board dessert, have to say in the top 5 I have had very good!!

The service stay was more than helpful and always keep the tea/coffee hot, whihc is a morning must.

GM_Windsor, General Manager at Caleys Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Dear bpaliotti

I was delighted to read your review following your recent visit to Caleys.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back!