“Great location, pokey room, poor food, poor information.”

Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Windsor
Luton
“Great location, pokey room, poor food, poor information.”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Arrived late looking forward to night away. Fantastic location opposite Windsor Castle. Booked a standard room (room 102) - very pokey, you almost couldn't get in the door with the wall mounted tv almost hitting you in the face on entry. Big dark wardrobe meant almost no room to swing a cat in. Ensuite was smallest I've ever seen with shower (black mould at bottom of shower) and toilet, sink was in the bedroom (very nice sink).
No spa treatments available but we did book late, so not a surprise.
When I asked what time checkout was receptionist told me 11am, actually my booking form guaranteed 2pm!
Dined in hotel first evening, good table but menu we were given was a much smaller menu than the one advertised on the web site, meal (I had the lamb) was very dry. Breakfast was a buffet, pretty average with really dreadful coffee. Asked for white toast, got brown.

Room Tip: Avoid room 102
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
GMHarteandGarter, General Manager at Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
As you say the hotel is located directly opposite Windsor castle. We have a choice of bedrooms from single, twin, double, family and feature. The bedrooms at the front of the hotel do have views of the castle, but there is only a limited amount available. The hotel was originally 2 inns that have been combined to make 1 hotel. Due to the age of the building the bedrooms are not all the same size with some larger and some smaller. I will ask housekeeping and maintenance to review your comments regarding the bathroom. The normal checkout time is 11am, but we do offer extended checkout time with some bookings and the receptionist should have checked your reservation before confirming the checkout time. The Spa is very busy and it is always advisable to book well in advance of your stay date to ensure availability. The menu has been changed to the festive menu for December and will then be reviewed again in January. Please accept my sincere apologies if the lamb was dry and I will review this with the kitchen team to ensure improvements are made. We do not normally have negative comments regarding the coffee, but again I will review this with the F&B team to ensure any retraining required takes place. Thank you for your comments and please be assured that these will be acted upon.

Andrew Lee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
guildford
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Nice rooms but the noise from the nightclubs is horrific. I called reception to ask to be moved as could not sleep and was told that there were no other rooms available. After much debating with the management I was offered 20% off the room rate.....the spa is useless too. Don't waste your money.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Please accept my sincere apologies that you were disturbed by noise from the nightclubs. The hotel is located in the centre of Windsor and we do liaise regularly with the council regarding ways to ensure that noise levels externally are keep to an acceptable level. Generally we receive positive comments regarding the spa and as you have not been specific with your comments I am unable to investigagte.

Andrew Lee

Travellers are raving about these Windsor hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Booked this spa hotel for my wife and i for our anniversairy. On arrival we were told we wouldnt be staying in the actual hotel but around the corner in the "new building" situated next to the spa. We had booked a package that included spa usage and a treatment of our choice, however when booking the treatment we were told they were fully booked, so no treatment happended. Service in the hotel restaurent was terrible, our first evening coincided with a wedding reception and i counted 3 waiters working the whole night - the following morning was the same problem as the wedding guests from the night were in for breakfast. Food however was very nice i will say that. Location is great, close to the train station and directly opposite castle. Big downside is the "new building" is situated next to a nightclub, open till 3am but has offers on jagerbombs :)

Room Tip: Ask which building you will be in!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
We have opened an extension to the hotel that is situated at the rear of the property and next to the Spa. We have submitted a planning request to link this to the hotel and this will hopefully be approved so that we are able to complete the link in early 2014. You will then be able to get to the extension from the hotel. The new rooms have been completed to a high standard and all have air-conditioning. The spa does get very busy and I would request that all guests book treatments well in advance of their stay to ensure that there is availability at the times you require. I was pleased that you enjoyed the food, but disappointed that the service was not to the correct standard and I will address this with the food and beverage manager. We do try to ensure that we have the correct number of team members on duty dependant on the business demand. Please accept my apologies if you were disturbed by noise from the night clubs. I do liaise with the council regarding ways to ensure that noise around the hotel is kept to an acceptable level.

Randers, Denmark
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Room 408. Worth the upgrade price.... huge room. AMAZING view into the Castle.

So good i slept with my curtains open so I could wake to the view.

That NEVER happens!

Seriously - ask for the castle view - worth the price.
Breakfast a little standard (below average actually). It's an old hotel - so it gets drafty... part of the charm?

Room Tip: Room 408 - superb view
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
I am very pleased that you had such an enjoyable stay at the hotel and appreciated your bedroom and view of the castle. Not all bedrooms have views of the castle so please ensure that you book a specific castle view room if this is your request.

Richmond, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Myself and my husband stayed at the Harte and Garter recently and had a lovely stay. The hotel is perfectly situated for getting out and about in Windsor easily. The hotel staff were very friendly and food was very nice. Our bedroom was a great size and very well decorated and overlooked the castle which was wonderful. The spa was also well worth a visit we both had a great massage. Thanks to all at The Harte and Garter for a fab weekend. Will def be back

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
I am very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay at the hotel and received a friendly service from both the team in the hotel and Spa. I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

wales
Reviewed 24 November 2013

stayed here again this weekend. Booking in was excellent, a very efficient, pleasant experience. Booking out, I'll come to later. Room was OK, yet still the minor maintenance problems exist. E.g. The grout in the bathroom is missing in places - not a big deal at all, but it stands out like a sore thumb!! I note that several TA contributions over the years have noted these maintenance issues and the response has always been "our housekeeping reports...blah blah " Mr Manager - you should be getting off your "seat" and going around these rooms to note the maintenance issues that require addressing - get it done, my friend. Checking out, I was charged for the room that I had already paid for. Queried it, sorted it, but NO apology and no "How was your stay" these are basics in the hotel trade. I am seriously considering changing hotels for our regular visits, as no manner of feedback appears to have much effect on the negatives. Overall, a potentially very good hotel that is being let down by the indifference of management. Look forward to your response.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your comments and I will indeed go and inspect the bedrooms with the maintenance and housekeeping team and ensure that a schedule is in place to ensure all maintenance is completed in a timely manner. I was pleased that you had an enjoyable check in, but disappointed that the checkout experience was poor. I have employed a new Front of House Manager who started this week and will be reviewing standards and re-training the team to ensure that we consistently deliver great customer service to our guests. I hope that you will stay with us again and that you see the improvements that we have made. Please ask for me on your next visit as I would value your feedback on your stay experience.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

The location of the hotel is great, but the rest is downhill from here. I specifically requested a twin room and arrived to a double. Then the heating in the room doesn't work, had a staff come to try and fix it but failed. He said he would look for a portable heater. 30 minutes later. Nothing. Had to call reception three times after that to request for extra duvet. Waited another forty minutes for this and I am still waiting. It's almost midnight! I'll never come back here. Had better service in hotels half the price. What a disappointment.

• Stayed November 2013
Please accept my sincere apologies that you had a poor stay at the hotel. All heating in all bedrooms has been reviewed and I can confirm that these are all working. Unfortunately there will be some malfunctions of equipment from time to time and the team will try to rectify this as quickly as possible. I will ensure that we have spare duvets and heaters available should any problems occur and that the team keep in contact with the guests so they are aware of what is being done and the time period.