“Theatre trip”

Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Windsor
Sherborne, United Kingdom
“Theatre trip”
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Six of us, four adults, two children, stayed here to visit the Pantomime at the nearby theatre. Staff could not have been more accommodating, especially for the restaurant staff who went out of their way to please the taste buds of the two children. What is worth while considering is the evening meal package which gave us quite a saving over separate restaurant bills. Also, the higher the room, the quieter.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
GMHarteandGarter, General Manager at Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Thank you for writing a review and I am very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay at the hotel and in particular that the restaurant team looked after you and the children well. I hope you will come stay with us again on your next visit to Windsor.

Andrew Lee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We have stayed here before for New Year 2013 and stayued in a Castle view room which was charming and ovely.

So when we booked again we where staying for a works christmas party so was not too worries about views etc.

The staff where really accommodating allowing me to check in at 7am in the morning. I had called the night before and was told that if the room was vacant then I could check in if I moved to the rooms in the town house. It was exlpained to me clearly about the walk and it not being attached to the actual hotel and this was not an issue for us. This type of flexibility really impressed me and made my stay a lot more enjoyable being able to freshen up after travelling in the room.

Your new Town House rooms are great , we have stayed in the old rooms with the Windsor castle views for New years before. Although you do have to walk down a cobblestone street the porter walked me round so there was no issues there. He delivered the luggaee tot he door also ands was very helpful.

I did read some of the reviews of the new Town house and most where negative. Mine however where positive. The main reason for this is that the receptionist had explained the rooms to me so this managed my expectations as I had stayed there before. But for people who are not familiar with the hotel or location I can understand why they would feel disappointed. May I suggest the management try to manage expectations by simply adding some professional photographs on your website. A few pictures showing the front of the town house and the cobblestone walk, the lovely oak walled entrance and stairs and of course your brand new , beautifully decorated rooms. Also maybe a little map explaining where the entrance is. I know that you are building a walkway between them next year but you seem to be hiding the benefits of the town house. Another is the fact that it is practically round the corner of where the shops are located. I enjoyed dropping my heavy Christmas bags off to the room to head out again without carrying heavy bags. Its also next door to the spa.

The rooms are great, modern, spacious and stylish with a great power shower also. Everything is all clean fresh and new and the soft furnishings have been tastefully done. Very comfortable bed also!. I have no idea why people thought it the rooms where clinical the new rooms where wonderful! - but they are comments you will get I can imagine when visitors think they are staying in an old hotel and get moved to the town house I guess.

I do have one negative thing to mention, and this also the problem when we stayed last time. Although the breakfast has a great selection, the sausages and bacon barely seemed cooked – they looked boiled??, and the hash browns looked like they been forgotten to be cooked also? Service was great though and you cannot beat the Castle views.

We had a great stay, we love the new rooms but please try to show off what a great town house you have and put up some pictures on the website and a description, then I am sure you will get more happier visitors until your walkway is built.

Good luck and thanks again

Room Tip: Pay extra for the castle view if you want the porper Windsor expereince- but if you are there to sta...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
GMHarteandGarter, General Manager at Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Thank you very much for writing such a detailed review which is very balanced and honest feedback which is very much appreciated. I take all of your points on board and will try to action some changes to make guests more aware that the new rooms are not yet connected to the hotel (Hopefully will be early 2014), but as you say do have advantages. I will personally review breakfast and ensure that the cooked items are cooked correctly and well presented. Thanks again for your comments and I hope you will stay with us again in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

SPA review only as we didnt stay at the hotel

Facilities - ok - the experience shower was out of order, there was no water in the sauna and the waterfall jets were not working in the Jacuzzi.

The actual Rasul experience of mud and salt was perfect, really nice and highly recommended. We booked the pedicure and manicure....AVOID!! the WORST experience! Absolute amateurs, it was painful and results were SHOCKING!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the Rasul experience, but disappointed that you were unhappy with the pedicure and manicure. I have checked with Lisa the spa manager and she is unaware of any complaints and would like to apologise if you had a poor experience. Please do contact Lisa at the Spa who would like to discuss your dissatisfaction so that we can speak with the therapist who completed the pedicure and manicure and re-train as required. We would also be more than happy to invite you back to the Spa for a complimentary pedicure and manicure so that we can improve your satisfaction with the spa services and facilities.

Andrew Lee

Travellers are raving about these Windsor hotels

Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Probably the best location in town with views of the castle. Poky rooms and overall service and dining poor. A missed opportunity.
Complained twice about missing light bulbs and faulty towel rails and didn't even get a response.
Items of cooked breakfast constantly running out even when restaurant not very busy.
Room decor worn, poor repairs around bath and mould too.
We dined out and just used the hotel because of its location, but wouldn't stay again. Much better places available.
I think this place is more interested in passing trade and party bookings and survives on its location alone.
What a shame as it could be spectacular.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your comments and please accept my sincere apologies if there were maintenance issues in your bedroom and these were not resolved during your stay. We try to ensure that the cooked breakfast is put on the buffet in small amounts and replenished regularly to ensure that the items are as freshly cooked as possible. The team should ensure that there is adequate displayed at all times and I will address this with them. On quieter morning we will take orders for cooked breakfast that are then plated in the kitchen. We are interested in trying to ensure that all guests at the hotel have an enjoyable experience and as you say we are located directly opposite the Castle. The rooms do vary in shape and size due to the age of the building – some small and some large rooms. I hope you will consider staying with us again on your next visit to Windsor where I would like to assure you of our best attentions at all times.
Luton
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Arrived late looking forward to night away. Fantastic location opposite Windsor Castle. Booked a standard room (room 102) - very pokey, you almost couldn't get in the door with the wall mounted tv almost hitting you in the face on entry. Big dark wardrobe meant almost no room to swing a cat in. Ensuite was smallest I've ever seen with shower (black mould at bottom of shower) and toilet, sink was in the bedroom (very nice sink).
No spa treatments available but we did book late, so not a surprise.
When I asked what time checkout was receptionist told me 11am, actually my booking form guaranteed 2pm!
Dined in hotel first evening, good table but menu we were given was a much smaller menu than the one advertised on the web site, meal (I had the lamb) was very dry. Breakfast was a buffet, pretty average with really dreadful coffee. Asked for white toast, got brown.

Room Tip: Avoid room 102
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
GMHarteandGarter, General Manager at Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
As you say the hotel is located directly opposite Windsor castle. We have a choice of bedrooms from single, twin, double, family and feature. The bedrooms at the front of the hotel do have views of the castle, but there is only a limited amount available. The hotel was originally 2 inns that have been combined to make 1 hotel. Due to the age of the building the bedrooms are not all the same size with some larger and some smaller. I will ask housekeeping and maintenance to review your comments regarding the bathroom. The normal checkout time is 11am, but we do offer extended checkout time with some bookings and the receptionist should have checked your reservation before confirming the checkout time. The Spa is very busy and it is always advisable to book well in advance of your stay date to ensure availability. The menu has been changed to the festive menu for December and will then be reviewed again in January. Please accept my sincere apologies if the lamb was dry and I will review this with the kitchen team to ensure improvements are made. We do not normally have negative comments regarding the coffee, but again I will review this with the F&B team to ensure any retraining required takes place. Thank you for your comments and please be assured that these will be acted upon.

guildford
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Nice rooms but the noise from the nightclubs is horrific. I called reception to ask to be moved as could not sleep and was told that there were no other rooms available. After much debating with the management I was offered 20% off the room rate.....the spa is useless too. Don't waste your money.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Please accept my sincere apologies that you were disturbed by noise from the nightclubs. The hotel is located in the centre of Windsor and we do liaise regularly with the council regarding ways to ensure that noise levels externally are keep to an acceptable level. Generally we receive positive comments regarding the spa and as you have not been specific with your comments I am unable to investigagte.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Booked this spa hotel for my wife and i for our anniversairy. On arrival we were told we wouldnt be staying in the actual hotel but around the corner in the "new building" situated next to the spa. We had booked a package that included spa usage and a treatment of our choice, however when booking the treatment we were told they were fully booked, so no treatment happended. Service in the hotel restaurent was terrible, our first evening coincided with a wedding reception and i counted 3 waiters working the whole night - the following morning was the same problem as the wedding guests from the night were in for breakfast. Food however was very nice i will say that. Location is great, close to the train station and directly opposite castle. Big downside is the "new building" is situated next to a nightclub, open till 3am but has offers on jagerbombs :)

Room Tip: Ask which building you will be in!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
We have opened an extension to the hotel that is situated at the rear of the property and next to the Spa. We have submitted a planning request to link this to the hotel and this will hopefully be approved so that we are able to complete the link in early 2014. You will then be able to get to the extension from the hotel. The new rooms have been completed to a high standard and all have air-conditioning. The spa does get very busy and I would request that all guests book treatments well in advance of their stay to ensure that there is availability at the times you require. I was pleased that you enjoyed the food, but disappointed that the service was not to the correct standard and I will address this with the food and beverage manager. We do try to ensure that we have the correct number of team members on duty dependant on the business demand. Please accept my apologies if you were disturbed by noise from the night clubs. I do liaise with the council regarding ways to ensure that noise around the hotel is kept to an acceptable level.