“Lovely stay”

Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Windsor
Bedwas, Wales, United Kingdom
“Lovely stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

Booked for our wedding anniversary always wanted to go to Windsor Castle and this hotel was in a perfect spot. Great staff, brilliant breakfast, had a problem with no heating in our room but took about 20 mins to move us couldn't fault it. Had to park car by railway station but only 5min walk back loads of shops and places to eat really enjoyed the stay

Room Tip: 3rd floor overlooking castle bit noisey but worth it for the view
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
GMHarteandGarter, General Manager at Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for writing a review and I was very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay experience at the hotel. I will pass on your positive comments regarding the team who will be very pleased to receive your feedback. Please accept my apologies that the heating was not working, but I am pleased we were able to move you with minimal disruption. The hotel does not have onsite car parking, but there are many local car parks and the hotel will be more than happy to give you directions. Very pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast and hope that you will choose to stay at the Harte and Garter on your next visit to Windsor.

Andrew Lee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
Bromley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

We booked one night at the Harte & Garter in early February. It was a last minute booking as we had a long weekend off work and saw a deal on Secret Escapes.

Windsor holds happy memories for us – we got engaged at Windsor Castle and had lunch in the hotel restaurant after the proposal, but we’d never stayed there before. The deal came at the perfect time for us to try it out.

We had a lovely room, overlooking the castle. The room was large, clean and very comfortable. Our deal included a three-course dinner and we could choose from the full menu. Everything we had was good quality & tasty and the service in the restaurant was really good – lovely, friendly waiters!

Breakfast was also included. The hotel seemed to be very quiet while we were there (it was a Sunday night/Monday morning in February – hardly peak season I’m sure), so the buffet selection was a bit limited, but that’s understandable with few guests in the hotel. I would rather that than see lots of food get wasted. There was still enough to choose from and we were also invited to select hot items from the menu, which were cooked to order.

Overall, we had a lovely time and our stay brought back lots of great memories. We would definitely stay here again – fantastic location for seeing the sights of Windsor.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
GMHarteandGarter, General Manager at Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you for writing a review and I was very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay and that the staff looked after you well. I will ensure that your comments are passed onto the team and great to read that the waiters were so friendly.

St Albans, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

Being there solo on business, I took a single room. Most likely below par compared to the standard double rooms, horrid view and in a cold area of the hotel, but I was there for one night, the location was great for me, the room was clean and quiet, I slept well so it did the trick. Seeing the hotel map on my room door, I think I had the 'suite' of single rooms with cute yet rustic architectural features. Notably, the hotel staff was very accommodating since my meeting was after my checking out, so excellent service on their part to keep my luggage all afternoon. I would definitely go back with my husband and get an actual double room with a view. Plenty of eating options around as well for all meals of the day.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for writing a review and I was pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and that the staff at the hotel looked after you well. We offer single, twin, double, feature and suite bedrooms. If you require a view of the castle please ensure that you book this at the booking stage.

nottingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Our original room number 104 was single bed sized but they had crushed a double bed into an alcove. This meant that one side was flush against the wall, the other side had approximately a 3 foot space between the next wall! Opaque window meant no view. After I complained to reception and advised them to remove the bed and actually sell this as a single room it should be, we were moved to room 207.

The contrast was fantastic, large spacious room and exactly what I would expect of a hotel of this quality and price. A few bulbs out, and a few bits of repair should be done in the bathroom. It actually had 3 windows which was lovely. Nice and quiet room.

The location was great, another down side is no car park and no deals for hotels at local car parks. Parked at riverside from 8 Friday night till 4 Sunday afternoon and it was nearly £40. Hotels really need to do a deal with local car parks for its guests.

That's said we had an amazing time in Windsor, the castle and local pubs and restaurants and would definitely go back.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank albi04
Please accept my sincere apologies if you were disappointed in your original room allocation. Due to the age of the hotel and being a listed building the bedrooms and bathrooms do vary in shape and size. If a larger room is required I would recommend booking a “feature” room at the booking stage. I was pleased on this occasion that we were able to offer you an alternative bedroom and that you were pleased with this. I am disappointed that housekeeping and maintenance had not ensured that all the lights were working and I have addressed this with them to ensure that this is checked on a daily basis prior to guests checking in. Unfortunately we are unable to secure reduced rates for residents in the local car parks, but reception do have all of the charge information and can advise you of the cheapest car parks.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

My husband booked a suite with a castle view for a spa break...we were given a room with a view of an office block, but told it was because instead we had a feature bath! We were then offered a very small room with a beautiful view of castle but no guarantee of a discount. Finally we moved to an annexe building with a lovely suite, but no room service and a walk in the rain to breakfast. Didn't bother with the spa as it wasn't included in the price of stay, no pool, and they had no treatment slots....service was ok and we were given an apology and reasonable discount but overall felt what was advertised was very misleading.

Room Tip: Ask for a guaranteed view otherwise you could be anywhere.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Please accept my sincere apologies that you were not allocated a bedroom as per your original booking. We do have a wide selection of bedroom and try to ensure that the correct room type is given to each guest. I was pleased that the team did provide you will alternative bedrooms to select your preferred choice and that they dealt with your disappointment in a professional manner. I will review why you were not allocated the correct room initially and action re-training as required to ensure this problem does not happen again.

Andrew Lee

Travellers are raving about these Windsor hotels

Travelling
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

I stay in hotels frequently, just read some of the other reviews and surprised they were for the same hotel!
Every single member of staff I came across was smiling and friendly and the restaurant I found very good. Can't think of any negatives!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for writing a review and I was very pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay and I shall take great pleasure in passing on your comments to the team who will be very pleased. We are all working hard to ensure every guest has a great experience.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

Checked in to the Harte & Garter Hotel today for a week's stay on a business trip. The hotel is in a great setting, right across the street from Windsor Castle and in between two lovely pedestrian-only shopping streets. The staff in reception are very friendly, the room is large and well-appointed. This review would have a Very Good or Excellent rating if it were not for the nonstop noise from the adults and children from the room next door. It's now 11PM and I have a very early wake-up for work. The walls are VERY thin or these people have been shouting for a couple of hours now. Either way, it's unacceptable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not next to blabbering children.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank salb573
Thank you for writing a review and please accept my sincere apologies that you were disturbed by noise from guests in the room next to you. (If any guest is disturbed please do ring reception and we will contact the guest concerned and ask them to reduce the noise levels and that they are disturbing other hotel residents) I was pleased that apart from being disturbed you had a good stay at the hotel and the team looked after you well.