“Good hotel, excellent location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Windsor
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Good hotel, excellent location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

We booked this hotel through booking.com several months ago, then extended our stay. Based on trip advisor reviews I contacted the hotel by email to request a larger room as my partner is 6'7 and we would have struggled in a smaller room with double bed. Despite it being a busy period they upgraded us at no cost, to a lovely large room at the back of the hotel, no views of the Castile but cool and quiet which is what we wanted. Nice big room, good fittings, modern bathroom and great shower. No mini bar, fridge or telephone though, hence the 4 rather than 5. Only 1 lift which could get busy at times. Location is great, right near the castle abc good restaurants and pubs. Didn't take breakfast deal and only paid for breakfast once. At £10 each you can get better at wetherspoons or local cafés but it was ok. Very friendly and helpful reception staff but I think they need to improve their admin. They thought we were checking out a night before we were and lost our pre authorisation slip of around £300 which would have meant me being out of pocket for 3-5 days, don't think so! Would recommend the hotel, and also return, but would like to see an improvement in admin.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgeade
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMHarteandGarter, General Manager at Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you for writing a review and I was pleased in general that you had an enjoyable stay. I have noted your points re admin and will ensure that we improve. I hope that you will stay with us again on your next visit to Windsor.

Andrew Lee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

As in the title we booked a room at this hotel last minute for one night through their American Call Centre. It felt a little strange talking to someone in America when we were sat in our car just down the road from the hotel at the time and were phoning a UK number! However, the booking was made and we immediately drove the 300 yards to check in and the booking had been confirmed by the time we got there. The room itself was very nicely furnished, although the view was of the roof of the covered shopping centre which was not very nice but the bathroom was exceptional, roll top bath, huge shower and beautifully decorated in a sumptuous manner. We would try this hotel again and use some of the facilities which we did not have the opportunity to do on this occasion.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for writing a review and I was pleased that you had an enjoyable stay. Only the front facing bedrooms have views of the Castle and if this is required please ensure that this is specified at the booking stage. Some of the other bedrooms do not have the views, but as with the one you were allocated do have feature bathrooms. (Again it is better to request this at the time of booking) I hope that you will stay with us again on your next visit to Windsor.

Ames, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

I'm having a tough time understanding the negative reviews. We stayed one night between the end of a cruise and our flight home the next day. The staff could not have been more friendly and accommodating. They recommended a great restaurant for dinner, reserved a taxi for our trip to the airport, and followed up with the taxi company in the morning to make sure they would be on time. We booked on-line and chose The Harte and Garter because of its proximity to the castle. We were very pleased with our rooms and their views. If there are consistency problems, we did not see them.

Room Tip: The castle view rooms were very nice.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for writing a review and I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay at the hotel and that the team looked after you well. I hope that you will stay with us again on your next trip to England.

Windsor, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

Having just read a review by grant_allan posted May 2013 I am surprised to see that things have not changed in just over a year at the Stables Spa at the Harte & Garter Hotel in Windsor... No investment has been made to fix the things reported then and the staff just didn't care.

I should have known it would not be a good experience after the trouble I had booking a spa experience for myself and two of my girlfriends. I wanted to treat them to a relaxing spa day - we certainly weren't that relaxed at the end of it.

I tried booking it by going into the spa reception about 8 or 10 weeks prior to the date - they said they weren't sure they would have enough staff in that day but took my number and promised to call me back. A couple of weeks passed by and I hadn't heard anything - so I went back in and they claimed not to know anything about taking down my number but that they could book us in on Friday 13th June (Friday the 13th should have been another sign!) - one deep tissue massage booked at 10am and another at 11am plus a coconut and lime body wrap at 11am.

So the three of us turned up just prior to 10am on 13th June - we were asked to complete a form asking some rather odd questions - i.e. what would you like to change about your body etc. We handed them in. My friend who was having the body wrap asked if she could have her treatment first but they said no because they had to "set up the room" first. So I went in for my deep tissue massage first. I have to say that I could not fault the massage - it was the right level for me and was very relaxing - until about 3 minutes from the end when the "relaxation" CD got stuck and started clicking loudly - this immediately woke me from my relaxation and made me quite tense. I mentioned it to the lady doing the massage. She said "oh yes it always does that"!!! Surely if it always does that you would change the CD! So that really spoilt it for me.

When I came out I met my two friends. They told me that they had not enjoyed their hour of relaxation:

1. The steam room wasn't working
2. The sauna was not very hot
3. One of the showers in the hydrotherapy pool wasn't working
4. The hydrotherapy pool wasn't very warm
5. Only one of the heat beds in the relaxation room was working so they had to keep swapping
6. A man in a suit walked straight through the relaxation room whilst my friends were in there!!!\
7. When we returned to the relaxation room the wet towels were still on the beds - when we lifted them up the beds were very dirty with sand or something on them. I don't think they had been cleaned in a very long time.
8. The hair dryers were not hot - they were luke warm at best

Then to top it all we were told that they were not able to perform the coconut and lime body wrap because nobody there knew how to do it! Not sure why we weren't told this when we first arrived?
To be fair, we were only charged for two treatments and my friend opted for a massage instead.

So now it was my turn to relax whilst my friends enjoyed their massages. I was thrown a robe and the changing rooms and spa areas were pointed out to me - I wasn't shown where the facilities were.

I mentioned to the manager about the cd sticking - she mentioned it was strange and I told her that apparently it was a common occurrence - she just shrugged. I told her that I was giving her feedback so suggested that she did something about it for future customers.

I went into the changing rooms - finally figuring out I needed £1 coin to lock the lockers - something that was not mentioned to me! Then I proceeded to put my robe on - and put the locker key in the pocket. It fell straight through as there was a gaping hole in the pocket. I told the manager this when I returned it, but I'm sure that it will just be re-used next time.

So I did use the steam room which was nice and hot - and finally working after maintenance had looked at it. The jets in the hydrotherapy pool still weren't working (mentioned by grant_allan in May 2013) and the sauna wasn't hot. I tried putting water on the coals but the spoon for the water bucket was split and therefore didn't hold any water.

I'd had enough really so decided to shower, wash my hair and change and would meet my friends in reception after their treatment.

I was shocked to find one of my friends waiting in the relaxation room earlier than she should have been. Apparently she had to stop the lady from doing her massage because it was too painful. My friend had requested lighter pressure three times but it was still too painful - so she just said to stop. I was so shocked and disappointed - this was supposed to be a treat.

Luckily when my 3rd friend came out from her massage she looked very relaxed and said it was lovely. However, we discovered the lady who did her massage didn't normally work at the spa and had been seconded in for the day. She appeared to be lovely and talked to my friend throughout. The lady who did my massage didn't really say much at all apart from the CD incident (it always does that!)... So one out of three of us was relaxed so that was something.

It would appear to be a very run down spa. No money has been invested in it for years and the staff clearly didn't really care about their paying customers.

The fact I only paid for two of us didn't really make up for the overall disappointment (£60 a head) We had all taken a day off work for this and it wasn't worth it.

I would not recommend this spa to anyone...

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank alisontopiary
Please accept my sincere apologies that you and your friends had a mixed experience at the spa.
The spa has recently been repainted and all equipment reviewed. We would hope that all of the facilities are working all of the time, unfortunately on occasion there will be faults and these will be rectified as soon as possible. We have employed some new team members and have a new product range for early July. Extensive training is booked in for the end of June so that all of the team are fully trained in all of the treatments. We will also review training on customer service skills. I believe that the new products & training will allow us to offer a consistent customer experience moving forward.

Andrew Lee

Travellers are raving about these Windsor hotels

brunei
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

Stayed here in November 2013 with my family of 3 children. Had a triple room in the new wing which was a King sized bed and a bunk bed which was more than adequate. Overlooked the pedestrian part of Windsor but no issues with noise as we were tired from full days of travelling and LEGOLAND! As we stayed in the new wing which is not in the main hotel part, the room was large with new fittings. No issues with the room. Lovely comfortable bed and nice bath. New clean carpet and large flat screen TV.

I booked as part of a package with entrance to LEGOLAND so I can't comment on the value for money aspect. As for location, it was just across the road from the Bus to LEGOLAND and Windsor castle is in front of the Main Hotel. Pleased to find a Wagamama's within walking distance (3 minutes). Also, a short walk from the train station (4 minutes). So overall, I thought it was a convenient, clean and comfortable weekend getaway from London. Would recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for writing a review and I was pleased that you had an enjoyable stay. The main hotel has 79 bedrooms and Goswell House 19 bedrooms. Goswell House is a short walk from the main hotel. The rooms were newly opened in June 2013 and all have air-conditioning and large flat screen TV’s. The main hotel is located directly opposite Windsor Castle and easy accessible to all public transport for the local area. I hope that you will choose to stay with us again on your next visit to Windsor.

Chester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Booked 4 double rooms for the last May bank holiday. Two of the couples asked to be moved as rooms was of a poor standand' windows had mould in them mirror cracked and soil pipe leak in bathroom also curtains ripped. Manager really not really interested in complaint. Won't be going back there.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lesley H
GMHarteandGarter, General Manager at Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Please accept my sincere apologies that you had a poor stay. I did receive the feedback from the manager that spoke to you and the issues in the first bedroom you experienced have all been rectified. I believe that you were moved and given a complimentary upgrade. We do try to ensure that all rooms are maintained and serviced to a high standard at all times. The Castle View rooms should be booked specifically at the time of reservation. If a standard room is booked a castle view room would not be allocated. We do try to ensure that all guests receive the type of room that they have booked for on all occasions. Subject to availability and if the hotel is not full then we would offer complimentary upgrades. I hope that you will try the hotel again on your next visit and we can improve your experience.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed here as part of a booking of 3 as a stopover..Room was spacious, bathroom was reasonably sized. Had a few drinks at the bar, the staff were polite..breakfast was good.. Situated in Windsor so was convenient.....

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for writing a review and I was pleased that you had an enjoyable stay. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.