“Nice old hotel but room very small.”

Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Windsor
South Devon, United Kingdom
“Nice old hotel but room very small.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Fabulous location and impressive frontage. The room we stayed in was a bit small and the wash hand basin was cracked and needed repairing, also the toilet was tricky to flush. The room probably needs updating but it was adequate. We stayed for one night, I would not have wanted to spend a second night there. The restaurant food was alright but the service was slow and the food a bit pricey.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
GMHarteandGarter, General Manager at Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you for writing a review. The hotel bedroom and bathrooms are all different shapes and sizes due to the age of the building. The superior rooms are the larger rooms and should be booked if a large room is required. I will address your comments concerning the sink and toilet. The food is freshly prepared on a daily basis and we try to ensure our prices are a competitive as possible. I have discussed your comments regarding slow service with the food and beverage manager who will address this with his team.

Andrew Lee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights, beautiful location directly opposite windsor castle , close to shops & train station , room was lovely & supplied with all u need , breakfast was very nice , staff very friendly & helpful , would not hesitate to stay here again !!!!!

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you for writing a review and I am very pleased that you had an enjoyable 3 night stay and that the team looked after you so well. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Calabasas, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Harte and Garter Hotel is a well located, historic property across the street from Windsor Castle. It is close to local shops, and very convenient for castle tours. Obviously an older hotel, the rooms are clean but could use some updating. The one lift was marginally adequate, but pressed when a number of guests tried to assemble in the lobby at a fixed time. Staff was helpful and food and service was good in the evening, but somewhat less so at breakfast.

Room Tip: Try to avoid inner courtyard rooms, since deliveries seem to start about 4 AM, and are noisy.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for writing a review and in general I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the staff looked after you well. Please accept my apologies if you were disturbed by deliveries. I have contacted to relevant companies to reconfirm the delivery times.

Stoke-on-Trent, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Overpriced but still quite nice.Restaurant food was nice but expensive.Staff were pleasant and welcoming.However if staying in the area in the future we will look at hotels round and about for more value for money.

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you for writing a review and I am pleased you had a nice stay and that the team looked after you well. We try to keep the hotel bedrooms and restaurant prices as competitive as possible and are in line with the local area.

Reading
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

After booking through spabreaks I would never use them again. I had to chase them almost daily to find out when my treatments times were, a week before my trip I decided to call the hotel and spa directly. Nicky at the spa was absolutely fantastic and sorted everything out for me, so helpful and called me back really quickly. I also thought I'd call and double check with reception that I had the 3 twin rooms Id booked through spabreaks, only to find that only 2 had been booked! The lady on reception sorted that out for me also with no problems.

On arrival at the hotel the lady on reception was very quick to check us and our luggage in (as our treatments were before we could check into our rooms). We were actually able to check into our rooms an hour early which was great. Our rooms weren't in the main hotel, we were just around the back which was no problem with us, and we had a very helpful friendly member of staff who helped us with our bags. Our rooms were all together which was great for 6 girls! They were really spacious, modern and all had air con. I was really happy also that we were offered free wifi for use in the hotel. The champagne afternoon tea was fantastic - and I loved that we weren't rushed so we could enjoy a great view of the castle over a good natter.

The treatments were nice - our file and paint manicure was just that. The elemis facial was really nice and relaxing. The spa itself is small and you do need to book yourself in. You're provided with a robe and a towel and you get a locker. There is a small thermal pool, a small steam room and an adequately sized sauna. For our small group it was just right for about an hour but larger groups would struggle and be disappointed.

The location of this hotel is brilliant and I would definitely go again - but I will be booking direct through the hotel and NOT spabreaks! They give the hotel a bad name!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JnP267
Thank you for writing a review and I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that the team looked after you and your friends well. If the bedrooms have been serviced and are available we will always allow guests to check in early. Alternatively if the rooms are not ready we can store your luggage. I was pleased that you enjoyed your rooms in Goswell House and that we were able to allocate you all together. The rooms are 1 year old and all have air-conditioning. For all guests it is important to book your spa treatments well in advance (preferably a minimum of 2 weeks before your stay) to ensure that we have the availability and time that you would like. Afternoon tea is a speciality of the hotel and I am pleased you found it fantastic. We do work closely with spa breaks and I am disappointed that on this occasion you experienced problems with the booking process. I have discussed this with spa breaks and we will work together moving forward to ensure the booking process is improved. Guests if they so wish can book spa packages directly with the hotel. I hope we can look after you again in the future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Just arrived back after a two day break, hotel is clean and tidy location is perfect, the room we had had a great view of the castle, the only downside is that there is no parking on site, you have to use the public car parks which the reception staff on arrival sent us to. These were outrageously overpriced. The hotel should offer to validate parking or at least offer to cover half the cost...

Stayed August 2014
GMHarteandGarter, General Manager at Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
I was pleased that you had an enjoyable stay at the hotel and enjoyed your room with a view of the Castle. The hotel does not have any car parking and we do clearly advertise this. There are numerous local public car parks within a short walk of the hotel. The Riverside and Eaton Station car park is the best value for money. You either need to pay at the pay machine, on your phone or you can go to the station and buy a ticket for the correct number of hours/days you require. (Recommend)

Bedford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We booked a girls spa weekend at this hotel through "Spa Breaks" and were assured it had a swimming pool as one of our party is pregnant....later to be told at the hotel that they only have a thermal pool. The spa is tiny, there is nowhere to sit and chill and read a book and you have to book a two hour slot during your stay for this reason. Steam and sauna rooms were fine, ice showers only one worked, there wasn't enough towels either. There was no appointments to book treatments only at 4.30 after you had checked out at 11? The manicure that one of my friends had she stopped half way through as it was really poor quality. The room in the hotel was fine, but small. We did get a lot of nice quality food for our money though, this was probably the best part of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a castle view room
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
GMHarteandGarter, General Manager at Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Please accept my sincere apologies if you were wrongly informed that the hotel has a swimming pool. All websites and associate websites do not indicate that the hotel has a swimming pool. The spa has a hydro pool, sauna and steam room. The spa has 5 treatments rooms and I would advise everyone to book a minimum of 2-4 weeks prior to arrival to ensure that there is availability at your desired time. We do operate 2 hour time slots for use of the spa facilities to ensure that all guests can have a relaxing environment. I have addressed your comments regarding the towels and manicure with the spa manager and please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused. I was pleased that you enjoyed the hotel and food and that this was value for money. The hotel bedrooms and bathrooms do all vary in size and shape due to the age of the building. If you have any specific requests please do ask prior to arrival and subject to availability these will be catered for.