“This is not to the standard of a 4**** hotel or that of the McDonalds Group” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa

Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Windsor
Surrey UK
“This is not to the standard of a 4**** hotel or that of the McDonalds Group”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

We booked the Harte & Garter as we were attending a friends wedding elsewhere in Windsor. The hotel was located very conveniently for us as we know Windsor very well as we live 10 miles away in Surrey. We booked a double deluxe room which faced directly onto the Castle at a cost of £239, which is expensive considering a central London 4 star hotels can cost less, however it was our choice and no one forced us to stay there. The entrance to the hotel is scruffy with cigarettes butts scattered over the pavement and people clustered around the entrance smoking. The lobby furniture, consisting of two small arm armchairs and a small table are jaded and had seen better days. The reception itself is little more than a side passageway with what passes for a desk with just about enough room for two people to be checked in or out, the reception staff were professional and very helpful. Our allocated bedroom was large, faced onto the Castle and well furnished, the bathroom, again, large and well proportioned with plenty of large bath towels and were of excellent quality. The bed was large, comfortable and the linen appeared fresh and well laundered at first glance. However, on the morning of our departure, a pillow fell off the bed together with the pillowcase and revealed a disgusting filthy stained pillow without any protective covering...totally unacceptable hygiene standards in this day and age.

On our return back to the hotel on the evening of the wedding at about 23.00, we went into the hotel bar and ordered nightcaps of 4 cognacs and coffees costing £24.40. Half Hour later l went to order the same round of coffees and cognacs, I was informed by the barman that there was no coffee available as the machine was now switched off, however, we could if we so desired, go and make our own coffee in our room, we declined that pleasure and stated that this was a 4**** hotel, we were in a room costing £230 per night and that at 23.30, to tell a customer that there was no coffee available was unacceptable and quite frankly insulting. He shrugged and indicated that it was the hotel policy, he served the cognacs, which incidentley was kept locked up in a cupboard, after doing so he proceeded to get involved with his ipad and immersed himself in the cyber world, job done as they say!!!!

The following morning we came down for breakfast and were met with a welcoming smile and shown to our table. Our waitress brought us a pot of coffee and a selection of mixed toast and told us to help ourselves to the buffet breakfast. To call it breakfast is an insult to the term breakfast, poor quality bacon, reconstituted egg (scrambled) l declined to go for the dried up fried eggs (one of whose yolk was by now black) and swimming in grease, the sausages were acceptable,as were the grilled tomatoes and baked beans, but no choice of mushrooms or hash browns...not a pleasant breakfast experience and not worth the additional cost of £10.
We noticed that two ladies on the next table left their breakfast uneaten and left the restaurant. I have read other visitors reviews of this hotel and cannot believe that the people writing them in such glowing terms actually stayed at the same hotel as we stayed at. A note to the Manager...you may wonder why we did not complain on our departure.. there was no visibility of anyone resembling a manager or even a duty manager in evidence. However, if as the manger you are reading this and wish to discuss this feedback please contact me...l would be happy to discuss the points l have raised with you.

Room Tip: If you can afford £200+ ask for a castle view deluxe room. Unless they improve the breakfast offerin...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
GMHarteandGarter, General Manager at Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 September 2014
Please accept my sincere apologies that certain aspects of your stay could have been improved.
I was pleased that you enjoyed your bedroom and view of the Castle. I have addressed your comments regarding the pillow with the housekeeping manager who has reviewed all of the pillow at the hotel. I have spoken with the food & beverage and night manager to ensure that coffee and tea is available 24hours in the bar/lounge area and please accept my apologies that you were not served your second coffee as requested. We offer a full selection of both hot and cold breakfast items. If the hotel is busy we will service the hot breakfast as a buffet which generally is well received by guests. Once we have served the majority of breakfast or if the hotel is quieter then we offer a plated breakfast. I will ensure that the hot buffet is regularly reviewed to ensure the presentation of all food is to a high standard. There is always a Duty Manager available at the hotel. This could also be a departmental manager. I would like to speak to you personally regarding your stay, but unfortunately as I do not have your full name I am unable to establish when you stayed and therefore contact you. If you would be so kind as to e-mail me your details I will personally call you.(gm.harteandgarter@shlhotels.com) I look forward to receiving your details and then speaking with you in the future.

Andrew Lee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
Huntington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

We took a CIE tour of Ireland 2 years ago and loved it. Loved 95% of the hotels. This CIE tour had some of the worst hotels. The Harte and Garter in Windsor was WAY below my expectations. We had no elevator to our room on the second floor. At least we did have "sort of" air conditioning. The meal provided by CIE that evening at the hotel was also below my expectations. We booked this tour in September 2013 and took it the end of July this year. I would have thought we would have gotten one of the best rooms by booking that early. I do know one of our trip mates did not have a shower, only a bathtub so maybe ours wasn't so bad. I would imagine there are better hotels in Windsor someplace. This was old and drab. Our view was the pigeon pooped roof tops of other buildings. The service was exceptional but that was the best I can say about the hotel.

Room Tip: The best tip I can give you is to shop around for a better hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Please accept my apologies that your stay was not as enjoyable as you had hoped. We do have a few rooms at the hotel that do not have access to a lift. Please accept my apologies if you found this to be difficult. We do if requested try to ensure that all guests that request lift access are allocated the appropriate room. The general feedback we receive for the meals for CIE are very good, but please accept my apologies if your experience was below your expectations. All of the bedrooms in the hotel have a shower. Some of the rooms are shower only and therefore do not have a bath. The hotel does face Windsor Castle, but only the front facing bedrooms have a view of the Castle. We have internal facing bedrooms that do not have a view also. On a positive note I was pleased that you found the service exceptional and I will feed your comments back to the team at the hotel.

Penzance, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Looks very grand upon arrival, entrance very grand too but you get to a tiny reception, there was a man there dressed very smart but 2 girls dressed very casually, no uniform, looked scruffy - need a uniform !
Hotel a little tired, soft furnishings etc, eye for detail lacking, bulbs out etc. no visible management around
Allocated a room in gosling house around the rear of the hotel, fine with that, was modern and clean but sooooo noisy at night, nightclub close by
Hence 2 nights with little sleep
Breakfast less than average for type of hotel
Afternoon choice of cakes limited and poor quality
Requested very stiff window to be closed as couldn't do, never happened
Offered a great rate as there to support the afghan soldiers returning home - well done to them for that
Would use again :-)

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
GMHarteandGarter, General Manager at Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 September 2014
I was pleased that we were able to offer you a great rate to support the local soldiers. We do liaise closely with the local barracks and do try to offer them special rates for family and friends visiting them. I was disappointed with some of your comments and will address these with my team at the hotel. The hotel has a Duty Manager available 24hours per day as well as departmental manager.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Just spent the weekend at your hotel, from start to finish the staff have been fantastic, the room was lovely with a nice view. A special thanks must go to Leanne the reservations manager who was absolutely fantastic from my initial enquiries to her follow up e-mails. Would definitely stay again. Thank you

Martin

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for writing a review and I was very pleased you had an enjoyable weekend stay. I will pass on your comments to all of the team at the hotel and in particular Leanne for dealing with your enquiry and booking. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night as part of a deal with legoland tickets. The hotel is well situated in front of Windsor castle , a short walk from both the train station and the bus stop to get the shuttle to legoland.
The staff were friendly and helpful and the room was large and comfortable, a very large king size double bed and a large pull out bed for a child.
The breakfast was excellent with a great choice and delicious coffee.

Stayed August 2014
Thank you for writing a review and I was pleased that you had an enjoyable stay at the hotel and that the staff looked after you well. Thank you for your comments regarding the breakfast and coffee being excellent. I hope you will stay with us again on your next visit to Windsor.

swansea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Location on this hotel is fantastic, right in the centre with great views of the castle.

Rooms are lovely and clean, just one down side was there was no air con and it was the hottest day of the year, so very hot at night.

Staff are very friendly and the manager is very helpful.

Would love to stay here again, but would upgrade room to have air con next time ;)

• Stayed July 2014
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for writing a review and I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay with the exception of the room being hot. 80% of the hotel bedrooms have air-conditioning. The other 20% electric fans are provided in each room to assist with air circulation. If air-conditioning is required please request this at the booking stage and subject to availability we will ensure you are allocated a room with air conditioning. We work very hard with the team to ensure that they are as friendly and helpful as possible and I will ensure your comments are passed onto them.

Greater London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Went on a one night break which included breakfast and afternoon tea. The room had a balcony and faced the castle and could not have been nicer, spacious with good quality towels and tea and coffee making facilities.The position of the hotel opposite the castle could not be bettered.

However breakfast was a totally disaster, it was all buffet and the food must have been out for hours, my wife tried hers and left everything and I did the same. I called over Prandeap the very helpful waiter, who arranged for me to have a freshly cooked breakfast which was excellent, my wife's appetite had disappeared so she only had toast. A hotel of this grade should be constantly checking a buffet and not allow food to deteriorate in this way.

We also had champagne afternoon tea included which was perfectly adequate although I would not have liked to have been paying the advertised price of £25 per head for it.

Staff were all perfectly pleasant although a little amateurish in their approach to guests.

Room Tip: try and get a castle facing room with balcony, great view of the changing of the guard
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank RICHARD S
Thank you for writing a review and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your bedroom and view of the castle. If we are expecting breakfast to be busy we do offer the hot food in a buffet form. The majority of guests prefer this style of service as it is quicker than a plated meal. When the breakfast is quieter or when we have served the majority of guests then we do revert to plated service. The hot buffet should be checked regularly to ensure that we have the correct quality and standard. Any guest that requests a plated breakfast will be catered for at any time and I am pleased that Pradip looked after you well. We offer 4 different afternoon tea packages ranging from Cream Tea £9.50 to Champagne Tea £24.95. I believe the choice and cost to be good value for each package offered.