“An idyllic tea in the heart of Windsor”

Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Windsor
St Albans, United Kingdom
“An idyllic tea in the heart of Windsor”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

We were given an afternoon tea as a present and chose the Harte and Garter at Windsor. You can't miss it as it is bang in the centre of town. We were given a selection of lovely sandwiches of 4 different kinds, all freshly prepared. These were followed by two scones each with jam and clotted cream - delicious! One scone was fruited whereas the other was plain. We thought that was a nice touch catering for every taste.Then there followed a selection of cakes all interesting and varied in themselves. My Mother had a pot of tea with lemon while I indulged in a double espresso - a very good one too. The staff were most obliging but unobtrusive and insisted on bringing me a pint of tapwater to the table instead of my having to walk over to the bar to fetch it myself. Tea was served in the bar on the ground floor and we could see the famous Windsor Castle through the windows. What more could we ask for? An altogether unforgettable experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
GMHarteandGarter, General Manager at Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 September 2014
Thank you for writing a review and I was very pleased that you and your mother had such an enjoyable time and that the team looked after you well.

Andrew Lee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
Reviewed 1 September 2014

We stayed at the hotel last Sat in 518,booked through late rooms and I must say The Hotel is located just opposite Windsor castle. Not quite a warm welcome at reception (I work as a Manager in a 4 star hotel in Central London so I know the drill )A bit disappointed with the spa being charged at £15 per head(as informed by receptionist) on the weekends??? and free on week days ---as I booked the hotel specially for this. Another small drawback was the room offered was on the exterior side, which was a short walk around and was at the back side of the hotel in another building more like a Victorian house,however the rooms were quite,refurbished, and spot on. Breakfast was excellent,restaurant staff very friendly and attentive, lot of variety and great quality food .The receptionist-or probably a Manager who was on check out was very courteous , cheerful .I do appreciate the late check out till 12.30 pm offered the next day.

Kind Regards,
Rajiv Padwal

• Stayed September 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for writing a review and I was pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and that the team looked after you well. The spa is open Tuesday – Sunday and there is a £15 charge for hotel residents Fri-Sun. We do try to ensure that all guests are aware of this prior to arrival and clearly display this on our website. The hotel has 98 bedrooms. 79 in the main hotel and 19 in Goswell House which is located at the rear of the hotel and has its own separate entrance. I hope that you will stay with us again on your next visit to Windsor.

Kent
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Great hotel in great location. Staff friendly and helpful rooms good, clean and comfortable. Best location, right opposite the castle with loads of restaurants and pubs within minutes, as well as shops. Great few days and will definitely go back

Room Tip: Ask for one with balcony if you want a good view of the castle and change of guards
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for writing a review and I was pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and that the team looked after you well. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

UK
Reviewed 29 August 2014

This place is literally at Windsor Castle. Lots of charm although some bedrooms at the back are very small. I've stayed here 4 times and been lucky twice with a large room,twice not so lucky. The rooms are clean a d functional. The bar is lively and benefiting from being as central as can be in Windsor,there are lots of great restaurants on the doorstep. The village is always buzzing.
Breakfast in this hotel is lovely with very attentive staff. A piece of Olde England,well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a large room facing the castle.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tailwind25
Thank you for writing a review and I am pleased that you have enjoyed your various stays at the hotel. As you state the rooms and bathrooms do vary in size and shape due to the age of the original building. The feature bedrooms are the larger rooms and I would recommend booking those rooms if space is important. I was pleased you enjoyed breakfast and will ensure the team are made aware you found them very attentive. I hope that you will stay with us again on your next visit to Windsor.

London
Reviewed 28 August 2014

At first sight, although pretty expensive, we seemed to be getting value for money. The room was large and comfortable, great bathroom, and a fantastic views over Windsor Castle. However the cracks began to show as soon as we returned at around 11pm after a wedding reception held nearby. we went into the almost deserted bar (4 of us) and asked for 4 brandies and 4 coffees. All was well: then after half an hour or so, my partner went to the bar and asked for a repeat. He was told that if we wanted coffee we would have to make it in our room!! The brandies were delivered in shot glasses, and when asked for them to be served in proper glasses, was told there were none! The bar man then resumed his position sprawled across the bar working on his I-Pad or whatever. This annoyed me - so I went back to the bar and challenged the lack of availability for a coffee. I was told in no uncertain terms that the coffee machine had been switched off and that was that!!
The next morning, a closer inspection of the bedding revealed a grubby and stained pillow.
Breakfast (paid extra) consisted of the usual, reasonable cold fare and a "Full English" Buffet. This consisted of fried eggs which had been there o long (2 of them) that they were hard and black. Some very odd coloured scrambled egg, the texture of which was absolutely vile and with a flavour to match (I am certain it was made with powder!!), grilled tomato, beans, fatty bacon, and nasty tasting sausage(no hash browns, mushrooms etc.). The plates were cold, the food luke-warm and consequently the whole thing was stone cold by the time it arrived at the table. Perfectly horrible!!
I have stayed in dozens of hotels, good and bad and have never been served up such a rotten breakfast anywhere. Only the very nice waitress made up from a very disappointing experience.
Of course you then start to look around at the stained and shabby furniture in the dining room, ripped and dirty easy chairs in Reception, and the Reception itself a horrible cubby-hole of a place.
I suppose that most guests are short stay visitors to Windsor so they don't have to bother - but really!! What a let down!!
The price paid was no less than I would pay at one of the premium branded hotels anywhere in the country (including London) for a comparable stay.
Would not return, would not recommend.

Room Tip: Great views of Windsor Castle if you ask for one (pay more)
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank willibug
Please accept my sincere apologies for the poor service you received at the bar. I have addressed your comments with the Night Manager and F&B Manager and would like to assure you this has been addressed. Tea and coffee is available 24hours in the bar/lounge. On review we also have sufficient Brandy glasses and the correct glass will be used moving forward. I am pleased that your room was large and comfortable. The Housekeeper has inspected all pillows to ensure they are the correct quality and not stained. The breakfast buffet should be regularly inspected for quality and appearance. The team will ensure that this is improved moving forward. All furniture in the restaurant and the bar is scheduled to be cleaned next week as part of the schedule we have inplace.

Andrew Lee

Travellers are raving about these Windsor hotels

North Carolina, USA
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We stayed at the Harte and Garter 2 nights a few weeks ago as part of a CIE Tour. Our room was situated facing the side street with all the stores. No air-conditioning with single glazed windows that only opened 6 inches made for an extremely uncomfortable stay. Very noisy and the room did have a fan but not large enough to do any good. Wifi was spotty at best in the room. We requested a change of rooms for day 2 and they did accommodate us but we had to settle for a small bed. The staff was very good but food mediocre, nothing to rave about.

Room Tip: Request an air-conditioned room.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Please accept my apologies that your stay was not as enjoyable as you would have hoped. 80% of the hotel bedrooms have air-conditioning. The other rooms have an electric fan to help with air circulation. Not all bedrooms will have views of the Castle and it is important to ensure that you specifically book a castle facing bedroom if this is a requirement. Being located in Windsor town centre the external facing bedrooms may hear some street noise. The internal facing bedrooms are the quieter rooms, but there will not be a view. The wifi has been reviewed and 2 new receivers installed which should help with improved reception. I was pleased that you thought the staff were very good.

Newcastle
Reviewed 26 August 2014

The Harte and Garter is ideally located in the heart of Windsor, across the road from the castle, close to the river and a wide range of bars, shops, restaurants etc. to suit all tastes and budgets. Both of Windsor's railway stations are a short walk away. There is no parking on site at the Harte and Garter, but you can unload your car at the front of the hotel for a few minutes. Parking is located at the Riverside Station car park (five minute walk) and costs £7.50 for twenty four hours parking. We booked the Harte and Garter over other Windsor hotels as it offered us a very reasonable summer rate close to a bank holiday and we were not flexible on dates. The room allocated to us was small but comfortable, with a double bed, full size wardrobe, desk, plasma TV with a full range of Freeview channels, kettle with tea/coffee, iron and ironing board and the temperature of the room was fine despite there being no air conditioning. It was tastefully decorated, clean with good range of towels and toiletries. The bathroom was also small, but fine for a couple on a short stay with a good shower/bath and shelving to put things and hooks to hang clothes. The hotel has a bar and restaurant on site as well as a spa but I did not use these facilities.
I am afraid that is where the positives for the Harte and Garter end for me. When we checked into our room we found the hot tap in the sink did not work. We were meeting a friend for dinner so told the receptionist that it was not working and we were going out. When we returned it was still not working. We returned to reception who apologised profusely that it could not be fixed that night as there was no one they could contact who could fix it, but they did give us free breakfast to apologise. The tap was fixed the next day, but by the time we checked out, the day after it being 'fixed' the tap was not working again. Breakfast was buffet style and the dining room too busy for the amount of staff allocated to run it. We had to wait to be seated for some time, when we were the table was not clean and I had to request it to be cleaned. The staff did apologise for this. Tea/coffee and toast is served at the table, but the rest of breakfast is laid out for you to help yourself. The range of food is good with pastries, fruit, cereal, juices and hot food available, but it was poorly replenished as the staff were too busy elsewhere and the hot food lukewarm. The Harte and Garter's wifi was also poor, I could log in using my iPad but it was impossible for me to connect with my phone although I could connect to the network's of local businesses next door. The room overlooked a very messy courtyard that could have been easily been tidied, and the window was covered in bird droppings.
The Harte and Garter could be an outstanding hotel, it is a lovely period property in an ideal location, but a lack of attention to detail on issues like courtyard, the tap and wifi let it down. Other small details like leaving deliveries in reception for long periods of time, scruffy chairs in the corridor outside the ballroom, a picture that had slipped in its frame but not corrected and water damage to the dining room ceiling give the Harte and Garter a slightly neglected air that with some attention to detail from the management could make it excellent.

Room Tip: Try and get a room facing the castle.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
GMHarteandGarter, General Manager at Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 September 2014
Thank you for writing a review and please accept my apologies that certain aspects of your stay were not as enjoyable as they could have been. Unfortunately the hot tap in your sink had a defect that the hotel team could not resolve on the day. I am pleased that you were informed of this and offered a complimentary breakfast as a gesture of goodwill. We do try to ensure that we have the correct number of staff on duty dependant on how many people we have at the hotel and please accept my sincere apologies if you felt we did not have enough team members working for breakfast. The hotel has complimentary WIFI and codes are issued by reception. You do need a different code for each devise that you have and this may have been the problem with your phone not connecting? The courtyard is cleaned on a weekly basis, but I will ensure this is now checked daily to ensure it is well presented. There are a lot of pigeons in Windsor and they do cause quite a mess. We are working with our pest control company to try to reduce the number of pigeons on the hotel site. We do try to ensure that the hotel is well presented at all times.