“Refurbishment needs completing”

Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Windsor
Reviewed 9 September 2012

One night stay for a function/event. I was placed in one of the annexe buildings across the road which I accept was nexessary as I knew the hotel to be full. The room was on the top floor. The annexe looked battered and not at all like the main hotel building. The carpet on the stairs to the room was totally worn through in several places and had some large staining- the paint work was battered and in a generally poor state as was some of the room. The bathroom was also very dated with basic bath and shower facility. The main hotel looked to be in much better condition but I was charged the same rate for much less. I mentioned this to the receptionist when she asked how I found the hotel on check-out and she said that they had only owned the hotel for a year and were in the process of refurbishment and this annexe would be upgraded at some future time - I am sure this is true but didnt get the same facilities and standards as guest from the main hotel who went to the function but paid the same price.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank familye
Sarovahotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

Thank you for your feedback and please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment experienced during your stay. We are currently in the process of refurbishment, completing the hotel section by section, as you noted. This will address all of the concerns that you have expressed. I would love to have the opportunity to show you the hotel in a better light, so please contact me in advance if you plan to return to Windsor, and I will ensure that you get a newly refurbished room for your next stay.

Jutta Staude, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,949)

Reviewed 4 September 2012

This hotel has some very good points; Great location, very friendly and helpful staff, beautiful view of the river from the dining room. Food was good quality and my room had all the facilities you'd expect.
However, my room was on the tatty and dated side, the bathroom blind had a horrible stain on it and there was no air conditioning so it was uncomfortably warm. There was no mini-bar and limited toiletries. I felt the room was overpriced for a tired single and was left with an impression that the hotel cuts corners in terms of comfort to increase profit margins.
Everything was ok but nothing really blew me away which is a shame as this place has the potential to be amazing.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Sarovahotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2012

Thank you for your comments and the positive points you are mentioning. Our pricing is comparable to other four star hotels in the area, and we feel we provide good value given our central location and extensive facilities. Clearly this was not your impression and for that I offer my apologies.
I have shared your comments with my management team and please do contact me if you are in the area again, so that I can show you one of the rooms that have been fully refurbished and are bringing us that little step further towards being amazing.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 4 September 2012

This property may be a bit "hit or miss" based on other reviews, but my experience was very good. Arrived around noon and the helpful desk staff spent a few minutes extra on the room selection -- as it turns out they were trying to be sure that as a solo female traveler that I had a room in the main hotel rather than the annex so that I would not have to go out on my own at night (although the location seemed perfectly safe). My room was on the top floor, quite sizable, with a modern bathroom. Furniture was a bit "ye olde" for my taste, but lighting was good and modern and bed was firm and new. Robes and slippers as well as very good toiletries provided. No lift and many stairs, but staff was extremely accommodating in carrying bags up / down on check-in and out. Breakfast was very good and included in the room rate. Outstanding gastro pub right across the street and Windsor town/castle within two blocks.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Sarovahotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

Thank you so much for your comments and the great feedback on the helpfulness of my team members and the breakfast quality. We always try and accommodate single travellers in the main house for that little bit extra security and I am glad the receptionists explained why. It is refreshing for someone to see the building as it is, with lots of stairs and the quirkiness of a listed building, but also the product detail and service to go with a four star property. I have made sure my team are aware of your positive experience and hope to welcome you back soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 3 September 2012

I was extremely disappointed with this hotel. We arrived from a long flight with our 3 year old who needed the potty right away, my husband ran in with him to take care of business while I pulled up outside. At least 3 staff came out to tell me I couldn't park at the hotel (apparently needs to be reserved in advance??) but not one of them offered to help with my bags! They watched me struggle with the bags while trying to make sure I didn't get a parking ticket (no loading zone either). Great start...

Room was small, too warm despite running the (really noisy) air conditioning all night, and the noise from the kitchen early in the morning made sure none of us slept in too late! Oh, and the keys had a really annoying habit of not working and needed to be reset a few times.

The final straw(s) came on our last morning. When we returned to our room after breakfast, the housekeeping staff had strewn filthy towels from the rooms they'd cleaned across our doorway throughout the hallway. Yes, really. Luckily I had an opportunity to let them know immediately because my key wasn't working again, so I had to go to the lobby anyway to get it reset. One of the receptionists was very apologetic, but when I returned later to ask for my luggage to be stored, the other receptionist was EXTREMELY rude! My sister was also staying at the hotel and commented that the staff were rude... I wish I'd taken her name so I could post it and let her management know.

Anyway, wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. They need to seriously work on their customer service and get some decent cleaning staff...

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback, which I have shared with my team. I sincerely apologize for lapses in service during your stay and would like to assure you that your comments will be followed up.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 2 September 2012

We stayed here for one night for a friends wedding. We weren't staying in the main hotel, but in an additional house just across the path from the main hotel. The building was quite old so had creeky floorboards and air con units that made a noise through out the night.The room was in need of a refurb as the paint was chipped, there were big stains in the carpet and wall paper as peeling off the walls.

The main hotel seemed lovely, with a great terrace leading down to the river, big spacious function rooms and very helpful staff.

Location wise it is spot on, with a train station, main town and castle, less than a 5 mintue walk away.

In all honesty I have paid a lot less for much, much better.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Sarovahotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2012

Thank you for your comments, I was happy to read that my staff were helpful and you liked the location, which I agree is unbeatable.
I am very sorry you were disappointed with the room you stayed in. We are refurbishing continuously and have already completed all public areas and quite a few of our bedrooms. I would love to welcome you back in the future, so please do ring me in advance and I will ensure you get a fully refurbished room when you book next.

Jutta Staude

Reviewed 31 August 2012

Bit disappointed with this hotel...

Communal areas were lovely, really modern, clean and well presented. Great staff and facilities.

Our room, however, was a different story. Size wise was fine - an adequate twin. But the room was not clean. There were stains on the carpet, (hence the need for slippers) dirt in the bathroom, the shower plug hole was blocked so I was standing in what was effectively a bath of skanky water whilst showering.

I'm not one of these people who looks underneath the sink to find rust and mould to then photograph it and put it on here...but it isn't difficult to give a bathroom a surface wipe every now and then. This hadn't been done for a long time.

The furniture in the room (not that I'm overly bothered) was all mismatched... They were trying to achieve a certain look with the vintage mahogany pieces, but it didn't work and as a result the room smelt musty.

However, the bed sheets were clean and I had a good night's sleep so can't complain at that... however I would have asked to be moved if I was staying for more than one night. Luckily I wasn't paying otherwise I wouldn't have left until I'd had a refund.

Room Tip: Ask for a clean one (!) that's been refurbished recently. Otherwise you'll end up with somet...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We had a great weekend away and were delighted to have a room with a balcony over the river. The hotel itself is lovely but we found our room was a little run down. It is a great location for a weekend break in Windsor and we had a stunning weekend for weather. When I spoke to the staff regarding the room I found they were understanding and helpful. We will return at some point next year.

Room Tip: Check trip advisor for a restaurant and book a table. The Bel and Dragon is quite nice for dinner.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple