“Fantastic Staff”

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Windsor
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Staff”
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I travel fairly frequently on business and hate to stay in faceless chains, I am always on the lookout for small intimate places to stay, from boutique hotels to country pubs. The Christopher Wren is neither but it's a little quirky with the courtyard rooms. My room was ok in size, comfy bed, nicely decorated with huge fluffy towels. Free Wifi is provided in the rooms with coffee, tea, biscuits and water and room service is available.

However, the jewel in the crown is most definitely the staff. Very welcoming, accommodating, courteous and friendly.

I wouldn't hesitate to return

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
SarovaHotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear balimoon,

thank you so much for this excellent review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

I was delighted to read your comments and especially pleased to see your wonderful feedback on the team. We have worked very hard over the last couple of years to get the best possible team in place and have really focused on our customer service.

I look forward to welcoming you back here with us soon, when you are next travelling from Cambridge.

Jutta Staude

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2014

My first visit was several months ago - I had some issues with our room which, despite some very positive aspects of our stay, prompted a less than glowing review on TA.
The Manager, Jutta Staude, responded to that review and requested that I contact her. I did so with little expectation of anything other than a well rehearsed defence. How wrong I was. She immediately accepted that a mistake had been made in the room allocated to us and that it was compounded by a further mistake. She said that it was unacceptable and wanted to find a way to resolve the matter to my satisfaction.
I was offered a partial refund or a complimentary one night stay in an Executive room with breakfast. I love Windsor and went for the complimentary night - adding on an extra night at my expense.
I have to say that I was hugely impressed by her response and obvious genuine desire to put things right. I believe it is the case that the true measure of an organisations commitment to customer care is how it responds when things go wrong - as they occasionally and inevitably do.

We have just returned from our subsequent visit. It was perfect - our room was superb and all the staff were friendly, helpful and efficient. As the staff were on our previous visit.

Well done Jutta - you have converted a previously dissatisfied customer who would not return or recommend this Hotel, to one who has now been greatly impressed by you, your staff and your Hotel.

In summary - a great Hotel, with great staff in a great location in one of the most vibrant towns in the UK.
Highly recommended

1 Thank Arthur_Tash
SarovaHotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear Grubens,

thank you so much for this amazing review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

I was delighted that we managed to impress you with all our services second time around.

We rely on guest feedback and your comments help us improve on the standards we provide, so that we can meet and exceed guest expectations.

I really appreciated your personal thank you e-mail as well and have also shared it with Andi, my reception manager, as this type of feedback is what makes our jobs so worthwhile.

Hopefully we can welcome you back here soon.

UK
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed here for one night over the weekend. Check in was really simple and the first room we were given was really lovely and in the building across the way. Unfortunately the ceiling was rather low and for my 6'7husband it was just too low (sure it would be fine for more normal heighted people) They moved our room very quickly and with no fuss. Second room was also very nice and we could fit a lot better.

You could hear the street outside, but we are both heavy sleepers so was not an issue.

The hotel is well located for the centre of Windsor and very easy to walk around.

The breakfast was good and the view from the restaurant was lovely.

1 Thank Twizbe
Dear Twizbe,

thank you very much for this first-rate review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

I am glad we managed to accommodate you in a suitable room with high ceilings, once we knew there was an issue. With all the rooms being so individual, it is sometimes a little hard at check in to acknowledge specific guest needs.

I really appreciate your excellent feedback on breakfast and hope to welcome you back soon, so that you can enjoy the river view again.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

The customer service was excellent from email contact (immediate responses) to the welcome when we arrived - having a parking space was great. Our room had a lovely four poster bed and looked out over the river (just as we had requested). The bathroom was a little tired but clean and nice toiletries provided. It was my husband's birthday and he had a card and lovely bowl of fruit waiting in the room - lovely touch. All the staff were friendly, helpful and an absolute delight. Breakfast with free newspapers, overlooking the river did not disappoint - loads of choice and lovely quality. The hotel is smack bang in the middle of everything - the castle, shops, restaurants, walks and we will be back!

2 Thank Tracy M
Dear Tracy M,

thank you so much for this brilliant review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

I was overjoyed to read your comments regarding customer service, as our guest comments are so rewarding for the team and really motivate them. I have made sure that they have all seen your feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back here with us in Windsor soon.

Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel on my own for a couple of nights and it was a lovely hotel however the room I was put in was a bit dated and a little bit creepy. I did visit the spa which was lovely and I enjoyed the outdoor hot tub. The location is perfect and I would return if the next room was a little more comfier.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a nicer room
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Dear Lucy P,

thank you very much for this excellent review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the hotel and the spa area.

Please do not hesitate to contact us prior to your next stay, so that we can assist with your bedroom selection and find something more to your liking.

birmingham
Reviewed 6 January 2014

My friend and I recently spent four excellent days and nights, inclusive of Christmas Day at the SCW in its delightful Thames-side location at Windsor. From the moment we stepped into the foyer to when we checked-out, the customer service and genuine kindness of Jutta, Manager and indeed of every staff member wet could not be faulted. This elegant and historic hotel manages to combine all that you might expect (though don't always receive) from a four-star property with genuine client-centred service and dedication. The truly excellent breakfasts are a combination of self-service buffet both (hot and cold) with table service for additional luxury items like smoked salmon bagels and fresh Haddock, all included in the standard room-rate. Additional Christmassy touches such as an individual hand-written Christmas Card and a Chocolate Orange left in the room, plus Quality Street offered at reception were much appreciated and reinforced the truly seasonal atmosphere that pervaded. I hope that I shall visit many more times and all my good wishes go to the staff, many of whom are fairly young but noticeably very well trained. More than this, I believe that the SCW shows expertise in its appointment process and has taken every care to select staff with a genuine passion and aptitude for working within the hospitality industry.
Top Marks !!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank cattermole
SarovaHotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear Cattermole,

thank you so much for this exceptional review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

Both Sarah - Jane, my human resources manager, and I were so humbled by your feedback on our team and the appointment process, as this is something we have worked on with a lot of focus over the last two years.

I was thrilled to see you highlight all the little extras that don't always get noticed and that these helped make your stay so special.

It will be an honour to have you back here with us in Windsor and I hope you have reason to travel down from Birmingham again soon.

Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

We booked in on a deal the weekend before Christmas as a treat. This is a really nice, if unconventionally laid out, hotel ideal for exploring Windsor & Eton.

We had a very nice room in the annex opposite the main hotel. Well furnished with modern fixtures and fittings it even featured show instructions (one of my hotel bugbears).

Breakfast wasn't quite 5* but the view of the Thames from the restaurant was amazing. Very cosy lounge for me to use while my fiancé enjoyed the spa treatments. Lovely open fire and coffee.

All the staff we met were helpful, friendly and efficient. Car parking is tight so book this early. We couldn't book parking but were able to pull up outside to unload and then park in the very reasonable and safe station car park just round the corner. Be warned that the station car park only takes cards not cash. However £6.00 for both days is a steal.

A nice place to stay.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SuggyD
Dear SuggyD,

thank you very much for this superb review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you had such a great time and really appreciate your positive feedback on the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back here with us soon.