“Weekend Get-Away”

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Windsor
London
“Weekend Get-Away”
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

My wife and I made a weekend trip from London to Windsor - while it's only a 20 mile train ride from the city, Windsor is well worth the trip. We booked the Sir Christipher Wren through secretescapes.com and got a great deal. The hotel upgraded us for free and we had use of spa's hot tub and sauna as well. Fortunately our room had a view of the castle, unfortunately there were loud people yelling from the streets during the middle of the night. Overall, the hotel, it's amenities and the view of the River Thames from the breakfast room was wonderful.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
SarovaHotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear Thompsonduo,

thank you very much for this fantastic review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa.

I was pleased to read that you had such a wonderful time and got a chance to enjoy all our facilities including the outdoor jacuzzi.

I am sorry that you experienced some noise disruption. As you can probably imagine, it is very hard to control night time revellers in such a central location, but we do our utmost to avoid any disturbance to our guests and pay night time security guards throughout the weekends.

Hopefully we can welcome you back soon, maybe when it is a little warmer, so that you can utilise our Thames view terrace as well, as you mention enjoying the view.

Jutta Staude

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

I stay in Windsor fairly regularly on business. This was my first time at Sir Christopher Wren's and upon arrival there was a warm welcome in a pleasant period building.
My room was in the building across the road, located off of a courtyard area. Although the room has some nice period features (most notably a big old fireplace) and antique furniture, it was very small, with little space to get around the bed and a tiny desk/work space. The ensuite bathroom was rather average, but did feature a very powerful shower. Unfortunatly said shower managed to flood the bathroom floor!
Still, the slight shortcomings of the room are made up for by the pleasant interior communal space within the hotel, nicely decorated with big open fires, and it's reasonable sized gym (again a couple walks outside to reach the building).
Breakfast (average buffet) is served overlooking the Thames (great view).
It seems to fit pricewise, for b&b inc. parking, a little under the nearby Macdonald, but more expensive than the Mercure The Castle, which I both often stay at. I'd say that the communal areas and service is a bit better here, than at either of the other two, although the rooms are generally better at the Macdonald. The Castle beats it on price and is a good allrounder, although not as pleasant rooms and no gym to speak of (no gym at the Macdonald, either).
So overall pleasant stay and great location; being down by the river but also close to the action and, of course, the castle.

• Stayed December 2013
SarovaHotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear king_of_muffins,

thank you very much for this splendid review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

It is always really helpful to get such positive and detailed feedback from a regular traveller.

It was brilliant to read that you were happy with the service and I have shared your comments with the team.

Please do let me know when you are next here and I will find you a more suitable room with better work space.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night over the weekend with friends to celebrate a birthday. Having read previous reviews we already knew that although it was a spa hotel there was no swimming pool. We also knew that there were 2 annex buildings owned by the hotel. We naively presumed that the hotel would be quiet at the end of January but guess what - we were booked into the annex. The reception staff and porters were friendly and efficient. We were taken the short walk across the "pedestrianised" road and you then enter through a gap between a florist and a cafe. Our room was situated up the metal stair case on the right. It was a lovely big room, sky light windows, double sinks, huge bath and larger walk in shower. Wine and chocolates awaited us. Unfortunately the heater/air conditioning unit did not work but the helpful team offered to move us or provide heaters. We stayed where we were as the room was a good size and the electric heater gave out adequate heat. We had booked our stay at the same time as our friends but their room wasn't ready until after 3pm and to make things worse they were situated a long way from us, up some more stairs in a part of the hotel "that time had forgot" The gym/spa was behind the main hotel, another walk outside is required, luckily it was not raining and we didn't need to use the guest umbrella left in the wardrobe! We can not fault the staff, our breakfast overlooking the Thames on the Sunday morning was pleasant. The hotel location is perfect for discovering Windsor and nearby restaurants, but we felt disappointed that we had gone away with friends and didn't get the 4 star hotel experience we were expecting. There was only space for three to have spa treatments so I utilised the gym, the relaxation room looked neglected as the candles had gone out and the tea needed re stocking. On a positive note we picked the only weekend in a long while where the sun shone and we could walk along the Thames without umbrellas! we parked in the station car park which is very close.

Room Tip: If you like being away from it all ask to stay in the annex block. Room 308 was a lovely size but th...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Dawn O
Dear Dawn O,

thank you taking the time to review your stay with us here at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa.

I was glad to read you were impressed with service and enjoyed your breakfast overlooking the Thames.

Matt, my Wren's Club Manager, has already spoken to his team to ensure they pay attention to details, as candles and tea supplies, should never be an issue in our relaxation area.

If you are travelling to Windsor again, please do let me know in advance and I will ensure your preference for a main house bedroom is noted and we allocate you and your friends close together.

Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Went to this hotel for a weekend of Christmas shopping. mmmm....we had to complain about the shower. For it to actually work we had to scald ourselves. Having mentioned it in reception the woman said, oh yes we have a plumber coming to see that room this morning. Not sure why we were placed in this room in the first place with the shower knowingly broken.???? But it did work afterwards. The meals seemed a little rushed but were tasty and breakfast stopped on the dot with nothing being cooked after stated times. Make sure you get there early. Room was tidy but perhaps a little dated.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nzmel25
Dear nzmel25,

thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I was sorry to read that you had reason to complain about the shower, but can assure you that we would never knowingly put a guest in a room with a fault. We did have some boiler issues in the Nook building back in December, where we had to call in a plumber for external support, once the guests had made us aware of the issue.

I have also addressed the service times for breakfast, as you should never feel rushed or unwelcome at any time of the day.

Constructive feedback always helps us improve and I appreciate your overall positive ratings despite some shortfalls.

I do hope that we can welcome you back soon, as you are quite local, even if it is just for a afternoon tea or Sunday lunch, when you are next in Windsor for some shopping.

Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

This was my second visit and cannot fault the hotel or the service. Nothing is too much trouble and my suite was amazing. Great location minutes walk to the shops and restaurants and with a great view of the Thames! Would definitely recommend.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Sophia A,

thank you so much for this outstanding review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

I was thrilled to read how happy you were with our service and the bedroom you stayed in and it will be a privilege to welcome you back for your next stay soon.

St Andrews, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I stayed at this hot on business 1st week of January -I booked late and knowing location had no concerns. On a very wet evening with the Thames high - i arrived to be met by very peasant receptionist.I was shown to myu room - at best described as a box room, plaaster around wall was flaking and bathroom was moldy by the shower. well is was a business rate,, so put up wth it i thought. The room i recall was room 3 or 103 i hadnt checked trip advisor before - I never slept - the room backed onto to an electrciity meter and through the night every 6 second you could hear the click of the meters - the following morning on check out i explained how poor the room was and the sleep - the mgr very kindly offered to cover the princely sum - £5 from my bar bill as an apology i asked if room has been complained about before and was told no - - on checking trip advisor - this found to be incorrect, why rent a room out for the princely sum of £100 that is not fit for sleep AND has already been compalined about.. great staff, please rent rooms where people can sleep..

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank sjb2003spurs
SarovaHotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear sjb2003spurs,

thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I was sorry to read that you were unhappy with the standard single room that you had booked.

Our guest views are extremely important to us and we always try and resolve any issues as and when they occur, but on this occasion we were not aware of any noise issues in room three and have not ever been made aware of the clicking noise you are referring to.

Sarah - Jane, the duty manager, who spoke to you on the morning of your departure did fully investigate this matter and we have since had one of our team members sleep in that room to no avail.

The amount given to you was the only outstanding amount, as you had paid a third party for the room in advance. I am very sorry that you feel this was insufficient, as Sarah - Jane felt you had left satisfied with her gesture and feedback.

We have also deep cleaned the room and checked all maintenance to ensure all future guests are happy with their stay.

I do hope you would consider us again for future stays.

Los Angeles
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I was on a quick over-night escape from London by myself and spent the extra money for the Wren. I am very happy I did. The single room was not at all tiny. It was very comfortable, free wifi, 24 hour room service, really friendly staff. The entire time there was great! I also booked a massage at the spa and it was the best one I have ever had. Holly was amazing! The location right around the corner from the castle and train stations was perfect. Looking forward to the next time I can visit.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Dear Nikkisong,

thank you so much for this superb review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa.

I was overjoyed to read that you had such a great time.

Holly was delighted about your feedback and it really motivates the team so much when they get personal mentions.

I look forward to welcoming you back here with us when you are next travelling from LA;
maybe you can bring some sunshine along next time, as we could really do with some - it is still raining continuously.