“Weekend Away”

Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Windsor
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights, first night was spent in and executive room across from the main hotel, bathroom lovely, room very small and old furniture, looked outdated and well worn. There was a nightclub opposite our room, which we didn't realise until midnight! Very noisy, constant base noise until about 2:30am. Spoke to front desk in the morning who moved us straight away to an apartment which again was in a separate building. This room was clean but again very outdated and worn. Overall staff were nice but hotel really outdated wouldn't stay again, for the price we paid felt we could of probably stayed in a nicer hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
SarovaHotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear Sarab2807,

thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I am very sorry that you were disturbed by the live music from the ticket hall, as we regularly speak to them to ensure doors are closed and noise levels are managed. This was clearly not the case on the night of your stay and I reminded my security team to ensure they keep an eye on this.

We are continuing our refurbishment programme, so please do let me know when you are next due in Windsor and I will allocate you a newly refurbished quiet room.

Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed with my husband for a 2 night stay. Car park down the road 5mins walk £10 for weekend, not bad or the hotel have 10 spaces for £10 per night ( you have to pre book).

Our room was across the road in a separate block and had no views what so ever, we had a brick wall one side and flats the other. I hated being separate from the hotel, didn't feel like a special break away. When you go for breakfast you have to put a coat on and go outside and occasionally use the umbrella. Being apart from the hotel felt like we had booked an apartment, you couldn't just go downstairs and read the papers or have a quite drink in the snug. I think the hotel should ask you your preference on booking.

We also had a massage in the hotel spa. The massage was ok but the facilities need to be redesigned to promote the spa feeling. The room you wAit in for your treatments is a corridor with bright lights, no relaxing music, or spa smells. It's basically a gym with a couple of treatment rooms. The jacuzzi looked nice but it was outside and you would have had to walk pass the gym to get to it. Which I didn't feel comfortable doing.

We booked through secret escapes at £260 for 2 nights with 3 course meal and a bottle of wine on 1st night and spar treatments at £110.

The meal included in the deal wasn't up to standards of a decent hotel. You had 3 choices of starters, main and pudding. Soup, pâté or smoked salmon. Chinese noodles, mackerel or vegetable strudel and pudding was ice cream, Eton mess and a pudding with custard. The portion sizes were small. Most people opted for noodles as the choice was so poor and not many people like mackerel. However, whilst in the restaurant a family ordered off a different menu as they obviously didn't book with se and their food looked lovely, be warned if booking through se as I think you get treated like a cheaper holiday maker but I spent nearly £400 with this hotel so expected more than I actually got. Therefore I felt cheated.

This hotel is at the bottom end of town, 10mins walk up the hill to the castle, tea rooms and high street. It's also on the river, so nice to walk up to Eton or down the river. Overall good location but very strange layout, parts not really a hotel.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear LisaMCord,

thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

We do try and advertise all our facilities and offers as clearly as possible on all channels, including secret escapes and I can only apologise if you felt this was not the case.

The hotel consists of five separate buildings with just over half of them in the main house. We do try and accommodate guest preferences when allocating rooms, but as you can possibly imagine, this becomes harder with bookings made via a third party.

The secret escape offer is advertised as including dinner from our table d'hote menu, which does have a choice of three starters, three main courses and three desserts. Starters and main courses from this menu will generally have one vegetarian choice, one meat choice and one fish choice to cater for as many guest tastes as possible.
I am sorry that you did not find a choice you liked. In addition to the table d'hote menu, we do indeed offer a full a la carte menu and an all day lounge menu for any guests, who have not pre-booked on the limited menu.

All dishes are prepared freshly by the same chefs and are in line with our AA awarded rosette standard.

The Wren's Club does have a large gym, but also offers a separate relaxation room, sauna, outdoor hot tub, manicure and pedicure area, as well as three treatment rooms.

Please do not hesitate to contact me when you are in the area next and I will ensure you are allocated a bedroom in the main hotel.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

This is the place to stay if you want the use of a great gym………which is always something I want when I travel. Apart from that, the room I had was a nice size for 2 people and very clean. I found all the staff to be wonderful, so friendly and helpful, very accommodating…a real credit to the place. There is a bar and a couple of small lounge areas, with open fires, which are really inviting.The breakfast staff are also lovely, and there is a good variety of food, however when ordering off the menu, it can be hit and miss on the quality and presentation of the food. The only other complaint I have is that there are no refrigerators in the rooms and as I need to have medication refrigerated it's a real hassle to have to get the staff to go and get it every night, although they were very pleasant about it and didn't seem to mind.Overall this is a very nice place to stay and I will certainly be staying there again in the future.

Dear Jensta007,

thank you so much for this exceptional review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

I was delighted to read your praise of our gym and lounges and really appreciated your comments about the friendly and helpful team.

I have also shared your feedback on the breakfast menu with my head chef, as 'hit and miss' is most certainly not what I would like our guests to experience.

Hopefully we can welcome you back from Melbourne some time soon.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Didn't stay at the hotel but did go for afternoon tea there. It was plentiful and delicious. Scones were some of the best I've had, the tea itself was a bit disappointing but everything else was tasty. Great view of the river sitting on the veranda. I will be visiting again, not that expensive either.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
SarovaHotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear Vic S,

thank you very much for this brilliant review of your visit to our Thames View Restaurant.

It was fabulous to read that you thought our scones were some of the best you've had and I have made sure my head chef Lee has read your comments.

I look forward to your next visit from London.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Was going to watch rugby at Twickenham and thought I'd treat myself and a friend to a nice hotel in Windsor. The location is fantastic. Its a few mins walk from Windsor and Eton Riverside Station, Windsor Castle, Eton, the shops, the river, bars and restaurants. I felt the cost for room only was acceptable for a Saturday night in a very touristy town. I booked the day before over the phone and had a few queries which were all answered. We arrived early and they stored our bags, on return from the rugby we checked in. We were in the annexe which is the building opposite. It was a bit of a mission to get to our room, but kind of to be expected in the old buildings that house the rooms. The room was lovely though we were slightly disappointed that the room hadn't been made up as a twin even though our reservation confirmed a twin room. Reception dealt with this well by showing us another room (not as nice as the one we already had) which we declined and then it was arranged that the kingbed in our room would be 'unzipped' to make 2 singles when we went out for the night, this wasn't until 10.30pm. On our return in the early hours of the morning it was all sorted. The bathroom was huge, and the bedroom was a reasonable size with very comfy beds. We only dealt with reception and the porter who were all lovely. We didn't have breakfast included in the room rate, so decided to find somewhere nearby rather than eat at the hotel, and made it as far as the Chocolate Theatre Cafe which is right opposite the hotel reception. Fantastic Eggs Benedict.
I would definitely stay at Sir Christopher Wrens again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Adie0106,

thank you for this first-rate review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

It was lovely to read that you were so happy with the service received and that we managed to sort out the twin room for you. I can only apologise that this had not been done in advance.

Hopefully we can welcome you back soon here with us in Windsor, when you are next going to Twickenham. We do have some special breakfast offers, when you book at arrival and have a very extensive breakfast menu to try.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

My husband booked us into this hotel into a standard room. When we arrived, there was a problem with one of the air vents. The maintenance man was very friendly and, when he realised he couldn't fix the problem and that we were celebrating our anniversary, he was extremely kind in asking the reception staff to move us to a different (and better) room. We were delighted to be upgraded to a junior suite, which we thought was beautiful and very well-appointed. Bathrobes and slippers were a welcome touch. Our breakfast the following morning was amazing. I ordered Eggs Benedict which I could not fault and my husband ate from the buffet. We sat overlooking the Thames - a wonderful start to our day. Because of the fantastic service we experienced when something went wrong, I have already recommended the hotel to a family member. We hope to return in the future.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
SarovaHotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Amanda C,

thank you so much for this excellent review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

It is very rewarding for us to be part of someone's special occasion and I was thrilled to read that my maintenance man arranged for an upgrade once he knew of your anniversary. As a manager, it makes me so proud, as it really shows that everyone within the team delivers the great customer service we are trying to achieve.

I have made sure my chefs have seen this review as well, as we have only recently changed our breakfast menu and the Eggs Benedict were one of the new additions.

It is fabulous to see that you are hoping to return and that you have recommended us to a family member.

Come back soon!

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel for two nights On the 7th of Febraury 2014 for a birthday treat. Very warm and friendly staff welcomed us into the hotel. The only bug bear was the route to the rooms which incorporated different passage ways which was a bit of a trek and the nice decor dwindled to plain shabby walls. We stayed in room 55 so if you want a room without a maze to get threw dont go for this.The bar area is comfy and quite reasonable in price lovely decor all around and nice comfy sofas to sit on.
On the downside of the last day i cut my finger on the wash basin due to a crack in the inside of the wash basin.I did report this on the way out and thanked me.

Mr whittaker

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Z683YQGaryW,

thank you for this positive review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

It is rewarding to read that you were so happy with the team, as this is an area we focus our efforts on throughout the hotel and 'very warm and friendly' are just the type of descriptive words our team wants to achieve.

We are still continuing refurbishment throughout the building, so it really helps us improve when we receive constructive feedback.

I was very sorry to hear about you cutting your finger and can only assure you that Chris, my maintenance manager, has already ordered a replacement sink for room 55.

I hope we can welcome you back here with us when you are next travelling from Wolverhampton.