“dissapointing”

Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Windsor
Horsham, United Kingdom
“dissapointing”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We had a spa break. The room was not in the main hotel and backed on to a nightclub, no sleep all night as very noisy... The meal with the deal was limited in choice, small portions, and the vegetarian option inedible. We also had to send one of the puddings back as it was suppose to be a fruit sponge but was xmas pudding and cold custard.I think that if I go to winsor again I would not stay at this hotel and choose to eat elsewhere .Value for money-poor.

Room Tip: don't go across the road to the executive rooms.dont eat in the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank LFennelly
SarovaHotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear LFennelly,

thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I appreciate your positive ratings for cleanliness and service, despite your unhappiness in other areas.

Claus, my F&B Manager, who spoke to you and your friends on the night of your dinner, was very surprised by your comments, as he was under the impression that five out of the six of you had been very happy with the meal and he had replaced the vegetarian main course you were unsatisfied with with an alternative main course. He was not aware of any issues with the Fruit Pudding.

Our table d'hote menu has been extended recently to give as wide a choice as possible to meet all guest tastes. We now offer a choice of four starters, four main courses and four desserts. On the night of your meal, the main course choices were fish of the day, river Exe mussels sautéed in a white wine cream reduction, pork schnitzel with a warm potato salad and a vegetable and halloumi cheese filo parcel.
The dessert choices on the night being steamed fruit pudding, apple and pear crumble, winter berry Eton Mess and lemon posset with a lemon and vodka sorbet.
I am very sorry that you did not find something to your liking from this choice.

Andi, my reception manager, also spoke to you on the morning of your check out in some detail and apologised for any disruption from the Ticket Hall, which is a live music venue across the road from the bedroom you stayed in.

We have addressed this issue since the weekend, as this is the second complaint in the last week and we are not sure what happened, as we have been managing noise disruption from the ticket hall well and had no complaints for an extended period prior to this.

Hopefully you will reconsider and visit again in the future.

Jutta Staude

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
Fareham, Hampshire
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Have to say although we made it an enjoyable stay, the hotel wasn't quite what what I was hoping for.....our room no.26 in the main building!! The highest point of the hotel, if you are not fit do make sure you don't get the room as its about 5 flights of stairs!!!!

The room is quite small, cosy but on the small side with a small double bed. The bathroom however was massive, but with nowhere to put your smellies, no shelves or cupboards and as we were staying for 2 nights we did not use the ones provided. I ended up putting everything on the floor!! Not really appropriate.....

When we first got there it was getting on for 7pm so already dark and like most people you look out of the window to see if you have a view or not.......well we did as opposite our block there was 3 rooms below us....it was a live sex show as all 3 rooms had people all having sex with the curtains open!!! Amusing, however not great!!

The hotel staff were lacking in personal service and not attentive at all, the bar wasn't fully stocked and had run out of different spirits. The staff in the restaurant were pleasant however the cooked breakfast was disgusting!!

Checking out.....what a fast! The queue to check was out the door and at least 10 people were waiting to be checked out, think this needs to maybe have a fast checkout service applied. Especially as they have your card details anyway!!

We did have a nice time however, lots of little niggles as well. Lovely location though.

Room Tip: Not room 26 too many steps especially if your not fit!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
SarovaHotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear Ge0rgina74,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay here with us in Windsor.
Our guest feedback is extremely important to us and constructive feedback helps us improve our guest experience.

We focus a lot of our training on our customer service and I continuously get excellent feedback on how efficient, helpful and friendly the team are. I am very sorry that this was not your experience.

I am well aware of the restrictions of our building not being the easiest to get around and having Grade 2 listing in several areas of the hotel does make it hard to adjust access.

We do try and advertise very clearly that we have no lift access and accommodate any guest requests for low level floors, but I am fully aware that room 26 is on the top floor and I can only apologise if this caused any inconvenience to you. We do provide full luggage assistance to ensure none of our guests have to carry their luggage up or down.

I have asked my head housekeeper to see what we can do to add some additional storage in the bathroom, but I was at a bit of a loss in regards to your comments about the room and your view.

Room 26 is a refurbished executive double room, with a standard size double bed (5ft / 150cm) and oversees a corridor window and one bedroom and bathroom window, with some views of the castle visible above the roof, so I can’t possibly imagine which three rooms you may have looked into. I would however like to add, that it is very hard for a hotel to manage what our guests do behind closed doors and whether they choose to draw the blackout curtains and nets, each bedroom has.

Hopefully we can welcome you back and please do not hesitate to contact me personally, so that I can allocate a lower floor room for you.

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights, first night was spent in and executive room across from the main hotel, bathroom lovely, room very small and old furniture, looked outdated and well worn. There was a nightclub opposite our room, which we didn't realise until midnight! Very noisy, constant base noise until about 2:30am. Spoke to front desk in the morning who moved us straight away to an apartment which again was in a separate building. This room was clean but again very outdated and worn. Overall staff were nice but hotel really outdated wouldn't stay again, for the price we paid felt we could of probably stayed in a nicer hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Sarab2807,

thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I am very sorry that you were disturbed by the live music from the ticket hall, as we regularly speak to them to ensure doors are closed and noise levels are managed. This was clearly not the case on the night of your stay and I reminded my security team to ensure they keep an eye on this.

We are continuing our refurbishment programme, so please do let me know when you are next due in Windsor and I will allocate you a newly refurbished quiet room.

Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed with my husband for a 2 night stay. Car park down the road 5mins walk £10 for weekend, not bad or the hotel have 10 spaces for £10 per night ( you have to pre book).

Our room was across the road in a separate block and had no views what so ever, we had a brick wall one side and flats the other. I hated being separate from the hotel, didn't feel like a special break away. When you go for breakfast you have to put a coat on and go outside and occasionally use the umbrella. Being apart from the hotel felt like we had booked an apartment, you couldn't just go downstairs and read the papers or have a quite drink in the snug. I think the hotel should ask you your preference on booking.

We also had a massage in the hotel spa. The massage was ok but the facilities need to be redesigned to promote the spa feeling. The room you wAit in for your treatments is a corridor with bright lights, no relaxing music, or spa smells. It's basically a gym with a couple of treatment rooms. The jacuzzi looked nice but it was outside and you would have had to walk pass the gym to get to it. Which I didn't feel comfortable doing.

We booked through secret escapes at £260 for 2 nights with 3 course meal and a bottle of wine on 1st night and spar treatments at £110.

The meal included in the deal wasn't up to standards of a decent hotel. You had 3 choices of starters, main and pudding. Soup, pâté or smoked salmon. Chinese noodles, mackerel or vegetable strudel and pudding was ice cream, Eton mess and a pudding with custard. The portion sizes were small. Most people opted for noodles as the choice was so poor and not many people like mackerel. However, whilst in the restaurant a family ordered off a different menu as they obviously didn't book with se and their food looked lovely, be warned if booking through se as I think you get treated like a cheaper holiday maker but I spent nearly £400 with this hotel so expected more than I actually got. Therefore I felt cheated.

This hotel is at the bottom end of town, 10mins walk up the hill to the castle, tea rooms and high street. It's also on the river, so nice to walk up to Eton or down the river. Overall good location but very strange layout, parts not really a hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear LisaMCord,

thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

We do try and advertise all our facilities and offers as clearly as possible on all channels, including secret escapes and I can only apologise if you felt this was not the case.

The hotel consists of five separate buildings with just over half of them in the main house. We do try and accommodate guest preferences when allocating rooms, but as you can possibly imagine, this becomes harder with bookings made via a third party.

The secret escape offer is advertised as including dinner from our table d'hote menu, which does have a choice of three starters, three main courses and three desserts. Starters and main courses from this menu will generally have one vegetarian choice, one meat choice and one fish choice to cater for as many guest tastes as possible.
I am sorry that you did not find a choice you liked. In addition to the table d'hote menu, we do indeed offer a full a la carte menu and an all day lounge menu for any guests, who have not pre-booked on the limited menu.

All dishes are prepared freshly by the same chefs and are in line with our AA awarded rosette standard.

The Wren's Club does have a large gym, but also offers a separate relaxation room, sauna, outdoor hot tub, manicure and pedicure area, as well as three treatment rooms.

Please do not hesitate to contact me when you are in the area next and I will ensure you are allocated a bedroom in the main hotel.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 March 2014

This is the place to stay if you want the use of a great gym………which is always something I want when I travel. Apart from that, the room I had was a nice size for 2 people and very clean. I found all the staff to be wonderful, so friendly and helpful, very accommodating…a real credit to the place. There is a bar and a couple of small lounge areas, with open fires, which are really inviting.The breakfast staff are also lovely, and there is a good variety of food, however when ordering off the menu, it can be hit and miss on the quality and presentation of the food. The only other complaint I have is that there are no refrigerators in the rooms and as I need to have medication refrigerated it's a real hassle to have to get the staff to go and get it every night, although they were very pleasant about it and didn't seem to mind.Overall this is a very nice place to stay and I will certainly be staying there again in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Jensta007,

thank you so much for this exceptional review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

I was delighted to read your praise of our gym and lounges and really appreciated your comments about the friendly and helpful team.

I have also shared your feedback on the breakfast menu with my head chef, as 'hit and miss' is most certainly not what I would like our guests to experience.

Hopefully we can welcome you back from Melbourne some time soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Didn't stay at the hotel but did go for afternoon tea there. It was plentiful and delicious. Scones were some of the best I've had, the tea itself was a bit disappointing but everything else was tasty. Great view of the river sitting on the veranda. I will be visiting again, not that expensive either.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
SarovaHotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear Vic S,

thank you very much for this brilliant review of your visit to our Thames View Restaurant.

It was fabulous to read that you thought our scones were some of the best you've had and I have made sure my head chef Lee has read your comments.

I look forward to your next visit from London.

Horley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Was going to watch rugby at Twickenham and thought I'd treat myself and a friend to a nice hotel in Windsor. The location is fantastic. Its a few mins walk from Windsor and Eton Riverside Station, Windsor Castle, Eton, the shops, the river, bars and restaurants. I felt the cost for room only was acceptable for a Saturday night in a very touristy town. I booked the day before over the phone and had a few queries which were all answered. We arrived early and they stored our bags, on return from the rugby we checked in. We were in the annexe which is the building opposite. It was a bit of a mission to get to our room, but kind of to be expected in the old buildings that house the rooms. The room was lovely though we were slightly disappointed that the room hadn't been made up as a twin even though our reservation confirmed a twin room. Reception dealt with this well by showing us another room (not as nice as the one we already had) which we declined and then it was arranged that the kingbed in our room would be 'unzipped' to make 2 singles when we went out for the night, this wasn't until 10.30pm. On our return in the early hours of the morning it was all sorted. The bathroom was huge, and the bedroom was a reasonable size with very comfy beds. We only dealt with reception and the porter who were all lovely. We didn't have breakfast included in the room rate, so decided to find somewhere nearby rather than eat at the hotel, and made it as far as the Chocolate Theatre Cafe which is right opposite the hotel reception. Fantastic Eggs Benedict.
I would definitely stay at Sir Christopher Wrens again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Adie0106,

thank you for this first-rate review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

It was lovely to read that you were so happy with the service received and that we managed to sort out the twin room for you. I can only apologise that this had not been done in advance.

Hopefully we can welcome you back soon here with us in Windsor, when you are next going to Twickenham. We do have some special breakfast offers, when you book at arrival and have a very extensive breakfast menu to try.