“Great view, shame about the service!”

Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Windsor
“Great view, shame about the service!”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My husband and I visited the hotel after an invitation to attend a function at the Garter Chapel of St George's. The location is beautiful- right on the Thames, and the day could not have been better-warm and sunny. After returning, despite stating clearly that we were residents, we were told there were no tables free in the restaurant (despite there being about 50 empty tables indoors!) and we could have the bar menu on the terrace. After 15 minutes of sitting at a filthy table, with the previous customer's bill still on it, I got up to ask if we could have the table cleared and perhaps see a menu. After 30 minutes, my husband enquired again if the wait staff could clear a table for us and take a drink order. Both times we were assured someone would be with us. Around us, entire tables were getting up and leaving due to lack of service- understandable if not for the copious wait staff milling around seemingly getting very little actual waiting done. Finally, exasperated and hungry I got up and demanded to see a manager. I asked why 1) we had been told the restaurant was full when there were clearly lots of empty tables and 2) why no one in 45 minutes had either cleared a filthy outside table that was attracting flies and birds or taken our order. We were immediately taken to a table inside and given menus, despite saying we'd already had 45 minutes to decide. After that, things got a bit better, with only 2 of our orders got completely wrong...it was a bit like Fawlty Towers without the comedy. The waitress apologised, saying there were quite a few agency staff on duty, but considering the wait, the hassle and the wrong order, it did seem a very expensive and frustrating evening. As a note, I do not expect to have "deposits" taken on my card after I have paid my bill in full prior to arriving. An imprint should suffice to prevent patrons running off without paying their extras, particularly as there is no mini bar! As we had looked forward to the break and had such a lovely evening in the chapel, we managed to keep our sense of humour, but I would not be in a hurry to recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building. There are several annexes and no lift, a hassle if you have a l...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Xbklynite
SarovaHotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Xbklynite,

thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I was very sorry to read about your restaurant experience, but really appreciate the detailed feedback, as it will help us improve on our service.

Your view is very important to us and I do hope that all other hotel services were much better, but understand that the restaurant service overshadowed them.

I would really hope that you will give us another try when you are next in Windsor, as I am confident that we can do much better.

Jutta Staude

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
Fleetwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I have only stayed at Sir Christopher Wren for one night but i really enjoyed it. Room was more than perfect, looking like a little apartment ready to move into. Loved the wardrobe and the bathroom. Spotlessly clean, with nice furniture and finishing touches - brought it to perfection. Can't really say a bad word about the hotel apart from the rooms being placed in different bilduings .
Really enjoyable stay , quite room, nice furnished, with a comfy bed . What else could i ask for?

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Paulina S,

thank you so much for this fantastic review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

It was a pleasure to read that you had such a great time and I do hope that we can welcome you back from Fleetwood some time soon.

Please do let us know if you'd prefer to stay in the main hotel next time around and we will try and accommodate that.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Spent a family night at the hotel in an apartment room for the Windsor triathlon. Friendly staff and nice hotel. Apartment was away from the main hotel but only a 1 minute walk Slight smell of paint but the room had been refurbished so expected and didnt notice after a while. Didn't put us off.

Room was quiter then expected given its town location and the building felt quite secluded. No need to drive anywhere as everything we wanted was within easy walk. Given the chaos of teh triathlon the hotel seemed to have everything in hand including advising us before we travelled that we would have travel restrictions on leaving. Also given the race time offered to allow me to use the spa to shower etc if I didnt make it back for check out time with my family.

Would recommend and the staff go out of their was to accomodate.

Room Tip: Apartment rooms are nice and spacious
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank David K
SarovaHotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear David K.,

thank you very much for this excellent review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

It was great to read that we communicated all the information you needed for the Triathlon to you and I do hope it went well for you and you had a successful race.

We have just recently refurbished the apartments and they are much appreciated by our guests, especially when travelling with family or for longer stays.

I hope we can welcome you back here with us in Windsor soon, maybe even before the next triathlon.

Virginia
Reviewed 13 June 2014

For those traveling to or near Windsor, the location of the this hotel can't be beat. The hotel is (for the most part) on the river, in the center of town, and easy walking distance to the castle and many restaurants. And the hotel is on a non-through street so the noise at night is minimal.

Your opinion of the hotel itself will probably vary depending on the room you get. The hotel is actually a series of buildings, some on the water and some not. Even the same class/level of room can vary greatly with some having balconies and river views and great air conditioning and some having none of the above.

Checking in early after an overnight flight from the US, I was given a room right away, which was a huge plus. After two tries, I got a room that worked. However, it was directly atop the street with no balcony and no view. I used it primarily for sleeping and it was adequate for this purpose.

Decor is not modern -- it has an old world style and some rooms have lovely poster beds -- but the rooms are clean and of reasonable size. The chairs weren't particularly comfortable and two people in the room would seem crowded if both wanted to sit someplace other than the bed. Bath was decent sized with a nice towel warmer and tub/shower combination, but there were spots of mold in the shower area. Internet was free -- very easy and fast to connect. My room came with an in-room safe, a bathrobe, and free bottled water.

Breakfast (included in room rate) was more than adequate. There is a buffet with plenty of choices plus ability to order additional hot food (hotcakes, eggs Benedict, etc.) off the menu. Service was quite prompt and pleasant and the river view is nice. Met a colleague for drinks in the bar one night Even though we were the only guests, no one waited on us for 15 minutes (literally) until we flagged down a server; I ordered red wine -- she brought white; we again had to flag someone down for the check.

If you're looking for a clean comfortable hotel, close to everything, with a pleasant staff, this hotel is more than adequate. If you happen onto the right room, you could also have a wonderful view of the river. However, can't say this is a true 4-star or a business class hotel.

Room Tip: Be flexible/insistent and willing to wait to get a room with a balcony or river view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank MisstheDogs
SarovaHotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear MisstheDogs,

thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us here at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

We really value our guests opinion and your extensive feedback is vital to us.

As you have highlighted the hotels rooms are very varied from standard double rooms to grand rooms with large four poster beds and suites with separate lounge areas. Some with river views and balconies, some without; all spread out over five buildings.

We do try and accommodate guest preferences, in line with their room type booked and availability and I am sorry we didn't manage to get you your ideal room this time around.

We cater for tourist, leisure guests and corporate travelers alike and try and offer all required facilities like bathrobes, safes and complimentary WiFi. Thank you for highlighting these facilities positively.

Your breakfast comments were really appreciated and I am glad the team were helpful enough. I have shared your bar feedback with the team and can only apologise for any wait you experienced .

Please do not hesitate to contact me personally on jstaude@sarova.com, when you are next traveling from Virginia and I will try and accommodate as many of your room preferences as possible.

Oswestry, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Only stayed for one night but will definitely be staying longer next time. Lovely friendly staff, pleasant room and very comfortable beds, excellent location within walking distance of the castle.
Only down side was the excellent valet service of the cars spoilt by the fact that both cars suffered minor damage. Mine was a hire car so has been expensive. Will stay again but park car somewhere else.

Room Tip: We where in room 16 no view of the river and on the third floor so quite a few stairs but spacious w...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jackie S
Dear Jackie S,

thank you very much for this superb review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

It was a pleasure to read the header 'little piece of heaven' and the praise for the team and your room.

Our valet parking is much appreciated by our guests, as parking is at such a premium in Windsor. I am sorry you had some issues, but appreciate that you will return to the hotel.

Come back soon!

Southend on Sea
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This hotel was our base for two nights while we visited the castle and spent a lovely day messing about on the river.
The hotel staff were without exception, friendly, courteous and helpful. They were genuine and none of the service was delivered through a forced smile as happens in some establishments.
You must be prepared to put up with the noise of aeroplanes taking off every few minutes and although it was loud it did not ruin anything for us.
Our twin room was very comfortable, spotlessly clean but quite small and exceptionally hot (almost suffocating) we opened the windows but it didn't seem to make much difference until we realised that the heated towel rail was pumping out enough heat to barbecue on. We switched it off and things drastically improved. I would question the need for this to be on when a room is unoccupied and has clean towels for new guests. At the time of booking I was offered the chance to 'add on' breakfast for about £16 each which I declined to do. When we checked in however it was being offered at £10, so well worth waiting until arrival to decide. Unusually complementary water was not provided in the room which I always think seems mean. We asked a member of staff if the tap water was drinkable and she immediately sent some bottles up for us. It was dealt with efficiently but little things like this can make an establishment seem a little ungenerous on first appearances.

Being a beautiful sunny day we enjoyed sitting out in the lovely riverside garden for a drink and bite to eat. Despite being busy, service was quick and attentive and once again lovely friendly staff.

Despite a few little niggles we really enjoyed staying here and would happily return and perhaps spoil ourselves with a river view room.

Room Tip: River views are obviously special but come at a premium otherwise you will probably end up overlooki...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Subshell,

thank you so much for this first-rate review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

It is always motivating for the team to see wonderful feedback like yours and being described as 'friendly, courteous and helpful without exception' was very rewarding.

I am glad the sun was out for you to enjoy our river view terrace and it was good to read that service was quick and attentive.

Please try and upgrade to one of our River view rooms next time around, as they are really very special.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Well done Sir Christopher Wren. What a great hotel, room was superb as was the food and location. Myself and my husband had a three night break as we wanted to visit Windsor Castle and the surrounding area of Windsor. The staff at the hotel were very attentive and helpful, the room was very spacious with a very large bed, dressing area and an extra large bathroom. Could not fault anything. It was a shame about the weather as we had a lot of rain on our visit (there is a large patio area overlooking the Thames but unfortunately we could not take advantage of this because of the "good old british weather" There are many shops, restaurants, pubs to visit so there is lots to do and see. A must see is Windsor Castle, it was amazing. Overall we would highly recommend a stay at Sir Christopher Wren. You will not be dissapointed.

Room Tip: Maybe a room at the back of the hotel as we were above the air conditioning unit which was a bit noi...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Sharon W,

thank you very much for this exceptional review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

I was glad to read your marvellous comments about the team, your room and the food.

And Windsor Castle is indeed very special and always worth another visit.

I was sorry to read that the weather did not play along during your three day visit, as that would have made your stay even better.

Please try and come back for a sunny break, when you are next visiting from Stoke-on-Trent, so that you can add a relaxing afternoon tea on our terrace to your Windsor agenda.