“Disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Windsor
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a few times and this was my fourth time of visiting. I had booked this quite a few months in advance and made it very clear that this was an anniversary get away and that I would like our stay to be a good one. Well here goes:

On arrival our room wasn't ready to check in to but that was okay as we went and had some cocktails and lunch near by. We arrived back and were showed our room which was meant to be an Executive room. Upon entry to the room we found that actually the room didn't match the requirements that I had discussed when booking. I went downstairs to complain and although they did try to move me they decided to show me to a room by their own admission that is very noisy because of the kebab shop near by. We decided to stay where we were as there was no choice really! Our room had no air conditioning and this particular weekend it was very hot, the windows hadn't been opened to allow any air in and the bed wasn't a King or Queen but merely a double. The bathroom was tatty and the complimentary toiletries were cheap.

We had treatments that evening and the treatments themselves were nice. I think overpriced and possibly short of the time stated on the price list but only a small quibble there.

We had room service that evening and that was fine.

The next day we were out all day and came back to get ready for our 8:30 dinner booking. This is where the hotel management really need to focus their attention on. The times before I have had the most amazing service, beautiful food and a thoroughly good time. On this occasion we had poor service, I had to constantly ask for things that are standard; water, wine topping up, butter for my bread and just good service. We were offered no choice of bread like some tables, the butter wasn't soft it was rock hard so could not spread it. We had to ask for an ice bucket for our wine and also water continuously. The staff had no idea of what they were doing and we witnessed staff talking very unprofessionally to younger members of staff. We waited 45 mins for our desserts and then the waitress approached us, "Have you not had them yet?" This was meant to be a romantic meal to celebrate our anniversary and it was appalling.

To fast forward to check out I heard other guests complaining and being offered gestures of goodwill as they liked to shout the loudest. I was asked if I enjoyed my stay, my reply, NO! She got the duty manager and he was useless. I fed back all my concerns and basically how my weekend with my husband was awful with no attention to detail at all. His reply, "I hope this hasn't put you off!" It was laughable and at that point I got up to go back and pay my balance. The ONLY positive was the reception manager who took some extras off for me and listened to what had happened. She genuinely did seem appalled that we had such a bad stay and this is the hotels one asset, her. I have her business card for future stays so she can upgrade me for free but am not so sure I would go back at this rate.

I also feel that this was our anniversary and there was no simple touches by the hotel. I have stayed at many beautiful, high end hotels as you can see from my reviews and they always have gone above and beyond.

I feel that there are members of staff that are letting down this hotel and we actually wasted a lot of money on a stay we did not enjoy one bit. Maybe some more effort with your paying guests would go a long way to keeping your clientèle.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Emma T
SarovaHotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Emma T,

thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay.

I was very sorry to read how unhappy you were on this occasion, especially as you have stayed several times before.

Please let me assure you that we do take customer service extremely serious and try and resolve any issues as they occur.

I have made sure the team have read your comments and have passed your positive feedback on to Andiswa, my front office manager.

Any time I am aware of a special occasion for any of my guests, I will handwrite a card and put fruits or chocolates in the room. I am sorry this didn't happen for you on your anniversary.

I would really like the opportunity to welcome you back and do hope you will get in touch when you are next in the area.

Jutta Staude

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
Province of Florence, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Have stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions during the last 15 months. I am continually impressed by the staff and the management's willingness to treat guests as individuals,recognizing their room/ dining /privacy wishes. The restaurant is an excellent example, a head chef a young dynamic team who strive to improve on an already high standard. It does not matter how busy they are, specific requests are respected and quality is paramount.
The location is a given, you would stay there for that alone. But that is just part of the the Sir Christopher Wren package that continues surprise me, they are a team that with a dedication to be better. I would not consider staying anywhere else in Windsor.

Room Tip: River view is obviously the best, but there are many excellent rooms with other features, relaxatio...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Gordon M
SarovaHotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Gordon M,

thank you so much for this exceptional review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

It is always a pleasure having you stay here with us and getting such wonderful feedback from a regular visitor is so rewarding to the whole team.

I hope to see you back here with us soon.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

The location of the hotel was great and the rooms were really clean. However, we were disappointed by the staff at the reception, who were quite arrogant and unhelpful, and the poorly made breakfast. The view from the restaurant on the riverside makes you forget anything bad though :)

Room Tip: Do not book an apartment if you want to use the spa as you will have to cross the main road on your...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank loiz0s
Dear loiz0s,

thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I was very sorry to read that you did not perceive us value for money and was especially concerned that you were unhappy with our customer service, as this is an area we really focus on.

We have added some training sessions since your visit to avoid future guests having similar experiences.

I do hope you would consider us again and should you be in the area again, please contact me on jstaude@sarova.com and I will allocate a more suitable room for your visits to the Wren's Club.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed in the hotel for two nights. We had booked the Executive Room with Double Bed. The room was admittedly really spacious and equipped with facilities. Having said that, the double bed was semi-double really and not so comfortable. Also, the bathroom was very clean, but the shower head was old-fashioned: rigid on the wall with no flexibility. When we arrived (at 2:15 pm), the room was not ready for us until 3 pm (the check-in time was 2 pm). Though, when we asked to upgrade, the response was that there is no availability. Bizarrely, at the same time, we were advised (and guided) that our room is in with the hotel's apartments (which was a mistake). We have booked the nights on an offer and we knew exactly what the rooms were. Although the apartments were larger, we would have liked to stay within the hotel (so we are close to the hotel's facilities and amenities) - the apartments are 3 minutes walking from the main hotel towards a main road (which means that if you want to use the spa etc, you have to walk in the street). We called the reception and, eventually, we were given the right room. Breakfast: there were some good choices at the buffet or on order but we were not blown away by the quality of the food. On the positive side, the location is amazing (just by the river and Windsor and Eton Riverside Station ) and the hotel owns a beautiful spacious terrace. The staff was friendly in general with some exceptions of not really experienced staff but that's not a problem. I would recommend the hotel in case someone does not have high expectations and is focused on location only.

Dear Nickts80,

thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us and for your overall positive ratings.

I was sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations and that there was some initial confusion on your bedroom allocation.

Constructive feedback like yours really helps us improve and I do hope you would consider a return stay should you be in the area again.

Please contact me directly on jstaude@sarova.com to help allocate a room that accommodates your preferences next time around.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

This hotel has a superb location as it is truly walking distance from the Windsor Palace, French brothers cruise boats, Duck tours starting point and the Royal Windsor Market. The hotel itself was a building once owned by Sir Christopher Wren, but it wasn't a house that he himself ever lived in. So, if you are expecting beautiful architecture you are in for disappointment. Do check the room you are offered as the hotel has are separate buildings and the first room we were given was quite awful with a low beam ( about 5 and half feet high ) running right across the middle with a big ominous sign that said mind your head. Thankfully, upon requesting we were offered a club room that was neat and comfortable. The staff was cordial and helpful, the breakfast buffet sumptuous. We couldn't experience the spa as it was fully booked ( they just have 3 treatment rooms) and parking too was unavailable. Tips for full value choose your room carefully and book the spa and parking well in advance to avoid disappointment.

Sleep Quality
Dear Amol S,

thank you very much for this overall positive review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa.

I really appreciated your excellent feedback on the team and the breakfast.

Our Wren's Club is indeed very popular and the three treatment rooms can get booked in advance. I am sorry you were unable to use this facility during your stay, but hope you used the gym, sauna or Jacuzzi, as those are complimentary for all hotel guests.

Hopefully you had a safe journey back to Mumbai and I look forward to welcoming you back here with us when you are next visiting Windsor.

Taplow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

we had a lovely relaxing massage and facial by the experts Liz and Sara - Jane and followed by a girlie chat in the outdoor whirlpool. After that a huge and delicious cream tea by the Thames with very attentive friendly people.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SarovaHotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Karen K,

thank you very much for this fantastic review of your spa treatments in our Wren's Club and the cream tea on the terrace.

Matt, my Health Club Manager, has made sure Sara - Jane and Liz have received a special thank you. It is always so motivating for the team to get such wonderful feedback and they were both delighted.

Hopefully you will be back soon for a quick visit from Taplow.

Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Just had a wonderful stay at this Hotel. The terrace overlooks the Thames, Eaton and Eaton Bridge. Its minutes to Windsor Castle. There can not be a better place to stay in Windsor. If there is please tell me. My wife and I enjoyed the terrace on several evenings watching the boats moving up and down, the swans and the Canadian Geese relaxed in front of us and we watched the pedestrian traffic on the Eaton Bridge admiring the view.

The food is good in the Hotel and the breakfast of good quality. Our room was as expected of superior quality and the staff were more than helpful with a young (I think Australian) more than helpful at reception.

My only fault I could find was that the Hotel's best asset which was the terrace overlooking the Thames could definitely do with the help of a gardener to bring it back into control. The privet hedges need work on them and the garden beds need hospital treatment.

If you are considering staying in Windsor do NOT stay anywhere else, please

Room Tip: I am loath to tell you but we stayed in room 37 and I hope to stay there again so please do not all...
1 Thank Rannoch2
Dear Rannoch2,

as always, it is a pleasure receiving the wonderful feedback on your stay with us here at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you were so happy again and have passed your feedback on to Jill, our 'resident Aussie' who has just been promoted from her receptionist role to a duty manager role.

I look forward to your next stay and please do let us know in advance to try and allocate room 37 again, as it is very popular.