“Below par”

Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Windsor
Barcelona, Spain
“Below par”
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights in order to spend a full day at Legoland and see a bit of Windsor too. Our accommodation was in the hotel's apartments, very close by - great location, albeit with a view onto a car park. The apartment building smelled of paint and dust, although this wasn't evident in the room. Good to have apartment facilities but to fit a family of 4 in was a squeeze, with a single sofa bed and an added camp bed. The bathroom wasn't great, with a leaking cistern and a toilet seat that didn't stay up for the gentlemen in the family. And worst of all we found a used cotton bud on the carpet next to the bin under the desk.

The welcome in reception was great, but I was told that their car park was full (best value in that case was to park at the train station). We were shown out to the terrace bar on arrival which was indeed impressive with a relaxing position straight onto the Thames. Unfortunately when we returned for evening drinks we sat at a table for half an hour without being served so gave up.

In all a disappointing experience for the price paid, it seems to be a hotel that thrives based only on an excellent location and a lack of alternatives.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Mikel_Arteta
SarovaHotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Mikel_Arteta,

thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us.

Guest feedback is essential to us, as it helps us improve any shortfalls in service. I can only apologise for your experience in the apartment building.

I have made sure all apartments have been fully checked and deep cleaned to avoid anyone having a similar experience.

Please contact me directly on jstaude@sarova.com, when you are next travelling from Barcelona and I will allocate a more suitable apartment for a family of four.

Jutta Staude

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
Rothwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights b& b , we had a room with a balcony over looking the Thames and Eton bridge ! There is a spa and car park at rear of this hotel ! The staff are brilliant , very helpful ! The restaurant has a great view over the Thames and Eton bridge ! The hotel itself is in a great location , just minutes from Windsor castle and boat trips on the Thames

Dear Gill504026,

thank you so much for this outstanding review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you had such a fantastic time and that the weather played along for you to enjoy the balcony and river view.

I look forward to welcoming you back here with us in Windsor soon.

London
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I stayed here while on a business trip. The location is great, with everything - restaurants, shops and attractions close by. The hotel is also situated right on the River, so stunning views from the outside bar and a lovely atmosphere.
We didn't use it, but the spa also looked very welcoming and lovely.
The building doesn't lend itself to easy assess. My room was through a labyrinth of corridors, steep stairs and hallways. The room itself was fine, although I had to get help getting my case sent up and brought back down. I also ordered room service and my tray was still sat outside my room three days later. How is that possible?! The lack of lifts and maze of stairs and corridors isn't great. The floorboards were also extremely creaky all night long.
The staff were friendly, however service was painfully slow. Expect to wait 10-15 minutes to order a drink and another 20 minutes to receive it. The food was very average and took forever to come. I wouldn't recommend eating here. If you have a good hour plus spare and it's sunny, the outside bar is nice.
We had a drinks reception one evening and there was one guy behind the bar to serve 100 of us. He ran out of glasses after serving two people and didn't have ice or lemons/limes ready. The reception started on time and this seems unacceptable to me.
If my stay hadn't been paid for my work, I would have been deeply disappointed. I wouldn't recommend staying here to anyone.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank icklemisskaty
Dear icklemisskaty,

thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I really appreciate that you are highlighting the positives, as well as the improvements needed and I would like to apologise for any shortfalls in service you experienced.

Please let me assure you that we do take customer service very serious and I have made sure Claus, my food and beverage manager, has seen your comments as well, so that we can get better.

Hopefully you would use us again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed in this hotel for one night following a day at Ascot races. We booked for the romantic package, with dinner and breakfast. It did not disappoint. The room was top class as were all the staff we met. Would recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to be spoilt.

Room Tip: The executive queen room
Dear Sharon L,

thank you very much for this perfect review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

I was extremely happy with your description of 'top class' and 'being spoilt'.

Hopefully we will have the opportunity to spoil you again in the near future.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We purchased a voucher through Secret Escapes. Cost was very good. Upon our arrival however we were impressed by the room itself but discovered we were actually above the kitchen and alongside the road. Very noisy - all night. Between the kitchen noise and the road noise, little hope of sleeping. Location was across the road from Windsor Castle so that was great. Just noisy was the only real complaint.

Room Tip: Too much noise was the only real issue but it was enough to make stay awful.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PIPER154
Dear Piper154,

thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I really appreciate the overall positive ratings, even though you experienced some noise.

Please do let me know when you are in the area again and I will make sure we allocate a nice, quiet room next time around.

Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed in this Hotel for a weekend break and had a meal in the restaurant on the Friday night. The meal was fantastic, the room was great too and the staff were very helpful and friendly. A big thank you to Sophie D for looking after us in the restaurant

Dear Paula A,

thank you so much for this fantastic review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

I've made sure Sophie has seen your comments as well, as positive feedback like yours is always so motivating to all team members.

Hopefully we can welcome you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Whether we are staying, enjoying a meal inside or alfresco overlooking the Thames with a jug of Pimms we always receive first class service, hospitality and the finest drinks & food from all over the world. Whether on a business trip, a family holiday or just a day trip to Windsor this hotel is well worth a visit. You won't regret it!

@cljfrancis

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
SarovaHotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear cljfrancis,

thank you so much for this superb review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

It was fabulous to see how happy you were with all our services throughout the hotel and in our Thames View restaurant.

It really motivates the team to see feedback like yours from regular guests and I hope I can welcome you back here in Windsor soon.