“Ok if you have to spend the night in Windsor”

Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Windsor
San Francisco, California
“Ok if you have to spend the night in Windsor”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I travel to Slough for business, so stay in Windsor as a tradeoff. If this hotel had to compete with top drawer options, I would never stay here. Having said that, I'll give it 2 stars given the local choices.
On the plus side: the location is wonderful, scenic, and v nice if you are spending time at/near the hotel. As I am traveling on business, the location is nice but not a major driver - if you're a tourist this would be a big plus. The restaurant overlooks the river - very scenic; food is ok. Also on the plus side - the fitness center is really very good, especially for Europe! And last having a hot water kettle in the room is very much appreciated.
On the minus side: the bed mattress sucks - I'm still getting over a back pain from it. The TV sucks - no channel choices to speak of, and the remote and TV are practically not on speaking terms. The bathroom is what is typical in Europe - narrow tubs, no real ability to keep water from splashing out, no area to put your things. And bonus: steps from the bedroom to the bathroom will keep you on your toes when going to the bathroom in the dark in middle of the night - a fall waiting to happen!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms which have steps inside - such as steps between bedroom and bathroom. Get a TV and remo...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
SarovaHotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 17 September 2014
Dear M B,

thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I appreciate the positive feedback on location, our Thames View restaurant and the Wren's Club.

I was very sorry to read that you did not sleep well, as that is so essential and would really appreciate if you could contact me on jstaude@sarova.com with your room number, so that I can get the mattress and TV checked.

Please do let me know when you are next travelling from San Francisco and I will allocate a room with a new bed and no steps.

Jutta Staude

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
Inveraray, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

We had a fantastic 2 night stay in windsor on a deal which included dinner and a bottle of wine. We chose to upgrade for only £10 extra per person for the full a la carte menu which was to die for. Our room was lovely and clean in the Riverside building and the bed was very big and comfy, even with my 6ft 5 snoring fiancée beside me! Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone, staff service was great too.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
SarovaHotels, General Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear AlwaysSomething2See,

thank you so much for this perfect review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

I was delighted to read your lovely comments about your riverside room and the a la carte upgrade.

Whilst we try and make the bed and bedding as comfortable as possible, I feel for you, as it didn't help with your fiancés snoring. Remember to ask us for ear plugs next time, as we provide those complimentary.

Hopefully I can welcome you back here with us soon, when you are next travelling from Inveraray.

Staffs, England
Reviewed 15 August 2014

This promises great historical interest - but it wasn't apparent to me. The main house is an intriguing maze of rooms and corridors, quite quirky and appealing. I understand there are two more modern annexes but I didn't see those so cannot comment. My room was reasonable but a bit faded: the beds was comfy enough, tea/coffee facilities adequate, and the free wifi in the room was better than many other places.... but no air con meant an open window and even facing the courtyard was noisy - clanging deliveries, revving cars going past and revellers until the early hours. The short bath looked a challenge and the shower was basic and functional - nice toiletries though.

The bar/restaurant looked good but pricey: having eaten there before though, my memory is that the food is very good - and if you reserve a table by the window, you get a great view over the Thames.

Finally the spa next door is quite good - 3 floors of gym kit (weight/cardio/mats & punchbag), a small outside Jacuzzi and a couple of treatment rooms for a reasonably priced massage (or beauty treatment).

I think I expected a bit more - from the outside view and the welcoming receptionist, but I'm not sure if I'd stay here next time.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Dear skyjockey99,

thank you so much for your overall positive review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

I really appreciate the detailed feedback and was sorry to read that whilst there were no major concerns you were not as impressed as you could have been.

Thank you for the great description of the Wren's Club and for the welcoming comments on the team, it really motivates them.

We do have a few rooms left without air conditioning and I can only apologise if this effected your stay.

Please contact me personally when you are next in the area and I will ensure that we allocate you a room with a little more history, as well as air conditioning.

Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Hotel expensive. Lovely by Thames. Rooms dated furniture One night stay great. No staff that are English ? Breakfast buffet. Very good . Great terrace to sit and relax Bar expensive. Rooms noise . Allways something going on in hotel. Spar great

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank werz3031
Dear werz3031,

thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

I appreciate the overall positive ratings, despite some shortfalls in service.

We really focus on our customer service here and recruit locally with that in mind. I can only apologise if the team were not delivering your expectations.

Hopefully you will consider us for a future stay.

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel in a good location. The service was good and the hotel was clean. The layout if the hotel is a little odd as it has a number of different buildings/parts to it. The Spa is ok, but small. The only negative was that the breakfast was a poor; not a vast selection and they ran out of several things on both morning we stayed.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nick S
SarovaHotels, Manager at Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 16 September 2014
Dear Nick S,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us and for your overall positive ratings.

I was sorry to read that Breakfast did not meet your expectations and have passed this onto the Food and Beverage Manager to ensure this does not happen again.

Constructive feedback like yours really helps us improve and I do hope you would consider a return stay should you be in the area again.

Warm Regards,

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We had a couple of nights here in late June when we were seeing Elton John at Stoke Park. We were in one of the annex buildings and not the main hotel. Room and bathroom were lovely although a little small. Staff were fantastic and check in and out was great. Fantastic breakfast, which set us up for the day. Location right next to the Thames was fantastic and within walking distance of the castle and restaurants.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the river then you will have to ask and pay for it
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Alistair G,

Thank you very much for this very positive review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel.

I really appreciate your comments about the team and hope that we can welcome you back here with us in Windsor again soon from York.

Warm regards,

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

We have just celebrated my wife's birthday in this hotel - we were upgraded into a club suite - which was lovely, the hotel is in a brilliant location for restaurants - try Cote brasserie - right on the water - fabulous lunch - then dinner the next day - couldn't fault it. We enjoyed a short boat trip - turn right at the bridge instead of left - much quieter and cheaper boat trips. The hotel itself is lovely - great place right on the river - we bought a secret escapes deal - which was good - but we wished we hadn't had the set menu and had eaten off of the main menu instead. We felt that the choice was very limited and the food was not presented well - unlike the main menu - it was also rather salty. Overall tho - we really enjoyed our stay and would stay there again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richard H
Dear Richard H,

Thank you very much for this splendid review of your stay with us at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa.

It was great to read your comments about the excellent service and complimentry upgrade you received.

I have spoken to Lee, my head chef, and passed on your feedback on the Table d'hôte Menu.

Thank you for the recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you and your wife back from Southampton soon.

Warm Regards,