“Poor”

Ranked #129 of 251 Restaurants in Windsor
Price range: US$13 - US$47
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Groups
Description: Browns, Windsor occupies one of the loveliest spots imaginable. With views across the Thames from the front and towards mighty Windsor Castle from the back, this elegant and spacious building has a beautiful mezzanine and a delightful outdoor balcony. With its stunning views, the mezzanine is the perfect place for a private party. It seats up to 80 people so it's ideal for any kind of celebration or a stylish corporate event. We're ten minutes away from Windsor racecourse, so come and pop a cork or two with us.
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The food is very average and expensive for what you get.

The day i went , I had Fish and chips, and for what I paid, the quality and quantity is poor. The fish was tasteless, the batter soggy and not crispy.

There are many restaurants in Windsor that are much better value.

Browns will always do well because of its position, but for me its a rip off.

1  Thank Peter B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,574)

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

I used to go to Browns all the time a few years ago as it always had great food and an amazing atmosphere, well how much it has changed. Went on a Saturday afternoon for some drinks and something to eat and the first thing that struck me was how many children were there - if I was in McDonald's or zizzi's then I would expect this but not a bar. The second thing I noticed was how dirty the banquette and surrounding area were that we were shown too - clearly the previous occupants were not so good with a knife and fork. I was prepared to put this to one side and persevere but when the table next to us became occupied by a screaming child I gave in and left as this was clearly not going to be the romantic late lunch my husband and I had planned. Just to point out I don't dislike children but sometimes it is nice to just be in adult company and that is why I choose a bar instead of a family restaurant to eat in.

1  Thank niq1305
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Clearly you are paying the slightly inflated prices for the ambiance, which is just across from the river and on a pleasant day sitting outside with a slight breeze can't be beat.

The service is average AT BEST. I was seated promptly by a friendly host who gave me a menu then I was completely ignored for around 12-13 minutes. Waiter finally came over, seemed to be a bit indifferent, took my order without a shred of pleasantness.

I ordered fish and chips and while there was nothing "wrong" with the order, it was not worth the 13 GBP. The batter was a bit tasteless and spongy, fish slightly tough and chips were under-cooked. Passable meal overall but a place like Brown's can definitely do better.

When it was time to leave I tried to signal the waiter several times as he was walking about here and there and since he never once even looked at my table after serving me the food I could not get his attention to bring me the bill. Finally I got up and walked to where he was SITTING (yes) and asked if I could pay.

Disappointed and I know there are so many other options in and about town.

1  Thank CPNY206
Reviewed 5 June 2014

A large group of us visited Browns for a works outing. We ordered a selection of buffet dishes. Ive no idea now much we spent on the food but the buffet was awful. Just light snacks with no real substance. We were all hungry afterwards and so visited the Kebab takeaway which was the only place open when we left. Definitely wont return.

1  Thank trevor6410
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Visited with my 8 year old daughter on a busy Saturday night and were very happy. We had an Italian waiter who made her very welcome from the start. She had the prawn cocktail which I feel is unusual to see on a kids menu and loved it as it made her feel very grown up she enjoyed her penne also. I had the delicious carrot and orange soup and the house salad. There was a good selection of soft ails for her and drinks for me. The was a great buzz in the restaurant and the location beside the river was very good. Overall we had a great night and enjoyed very good service.