Message from TripAdvisor:
This is a fictional place, as heard on BBC's "The Archers." Please do not try to book a visit here.

“Still waiting for my garden ornaments”
Review of The Bull

The Bull
Ranked #1,008 of 1,364 Restaurants in Worcestershire
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I stumbled across The Bull after getting lost returning from a meeting in Felpersham. It's very much a locals pub and I got strange looks when I walked in. It took ages to get served as the landlord and landlady were too busy gazing longingly into each others' eyes and whispering about purple dresses and giggling.
Eventually an expensively dressed lady perched at the bar (who acted like she owned the place) took pity on me and said:
"Just help yourself Darling. I would. And get me a large gin while you're at it."
So I poured myself a pint of Shires and a triple G & T for Lillian (I think her name was) and left some cash on the bar. She then started telling me some complicated story about credit cards in Russia, so I made my excuses and moved away.
I then bumped into a well dressed gent wearing a bow tie, who asked me if I was "a student of the classics". Before I could answer, he launched into a story about Publius Cornelius Tacitus and Pliny the Elder.
After 10 minutes of Roman history I was ready for another pint of Shires so made my excuses. This time a perky Welshman served me and a young farmer at the bar.
"How much do you know about ready meals?" the farmer asked me, introducing himself as Tom.
"I've already eaten," I explained. However he then launched into lists of recipes, delivery details and shrink wrap techniques, before taking out spread sheets and business plans.
Seeking light relief, I moved into the corner and fell into conversation with an elderly man troubled by a bad cough and his son (Joe and Eddie I think). Somehow the conversation turned to gardening and -- after I had bought them each a pint of Shires-- they said they could offer me a good deal on garden ornaments.
"And we might even throw in a pint of homemade cider if you're paying the right price," said the elderly Joe before his hacking cough returned.
So the evening wasn't entirely wasted. With hindsight, I do wonder if I was wise to pay up front for the garden ornaments, but I am sure Eddie will call soon to arrange delivery. Mind you, it was a week ago and they said they would deliver within two days.

8  Thank DH14

Reviewed 12 August 2013

If you ever wondered where all the old tat that disappeared from pubs in the mid-70’s went, this is where it came to die.

Those heavy, dark-varnished tables with the dimpled brass tops? Check. Big heavy chairs with the red rexine seat cover nailed on with buttock-bruising dome-headed studs? Check. Dark velvet curtains with bobble fringing? Check.

Add in a few tons of assorted horse-brasses, warming pans, hunting horns, yard-o-ale, unidentifiable superannuated agricultural implements (or perhaps instruments of torture), twisted flex wiring to the lamps covered in dark grease and dust (God knows when it last saw a paint brush or rewire) and sporting prints, and the time warp is complete.

Food is adequate; at first I thought the menu was a bit retro, but no, apparently it’s always been like that. Beer ok, but restricted choice. Gent’s loo terribly graffiti’d (some in what looked like Polish) but reasonably clean.

Generally, ok for a pit stop, but not a destination.

4  Thank grh59
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I'd previously visited just after 7:00 pm on a weekday, so decided to make my return visit on a Sunday morning; arriving at 11:15. Noticed that they still don't open on a Saturday for some reason. The young man who had been propping up the bar when I last visited was still there and still talking about Ready Meals, until a Scottish bloke came in and told him to shut up, and that if if didn't he'd get his Bagpipes out, and serenade the whole bar with "My heart belongs to Glasgee." The silent elderly lady who had served me previously wasn't there. Apparently she had gone to hear her husband recite self penned poetry at a local stately home, dressed as someone called Uncle Rupert. As a result the menu choice was rather restricted. Mains were "Joshies three egg Mankwold omelette" or "Joshies two egg sausage omelette." The only alternative was a microwaved sausage casserole. Pudding was restricted to "Joshies egg custard infused with Granny Jill's honey." This time I was served by an over enthusiastic welshman, whilst the barmaid continued to sit on a stool behind the bar and the landlady told anyone prepared to listen that she would soon be "one of the family." She did shut up though when one of the yokels (Susan ?) told her that she was already practically related to Brine and Jenny Daahling, which then set off the cackling gin swigging woman sitting in the corner. Would I go back? A resounding YES, after all you couldn't make it up could you ....

7  Thank Bopeep22
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I was searching for something just a little bit different when I stumbled over this lovely local pub, The manageress was delightful and introduced me to some of the regulars who were equally friendly. Lillian, nursing a large gin and tonic, was particularly keen to share some of her more recent experiences and the barman, Kenton, was equally effusive and I was persuaded to contribute to the St Stephen's Organ Fund which is in urgent need of repair. The meal itself was a delight being locally produced pork sausages made by Tarm, who, I believe has grown quite a business empire by producing home-cooked food in an industrial unit in Felpersham.

All-in-all, I feel this is a pub well worth looking out, for the excellence of the food and company, although I fear I cannot recommend the beer which tasted suspiciously like cold tea to me. Artisan beer production being somewhat idiosyncratic; rather like this pub really!

2  Thank Roberto_Presto
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I dropped in to the Bull a couple of months ago on my way back from Borchester to Bristol and was immediately struck by the ambience. The Bull is a typical village pub with a real community atmosphere and their Shires bitter is the best pint that I’ve drunk in a long time, and that includes my favourite Badger beer! I fell into conversation with one of the local farmers about the state of farming today and we were chatting pleasantly when I mentioned my surname – he immediately turned his back and walked off to talk to a rather pompous chap whose wife (or mistress) was chatting animatedly to another rather loud woman about a mat and a recipe for venison casserole. I was about to leave when I was collared by an elderly gent with a bad cough who wanted to show me the sites of Ambridge on a bartlebury, I’m sure it’s a quaint old county custom but he had a slightly satanic air about him that unsettled me slightly so I gave my excuses and left.
All in all a very pleasant public house – but my advice is leave well before 7 pm!

4  Thank Hamish B