“Poor service & poor value for money”
Review of The Broadway Hotel

The Broadway Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Broadway
London, United Kingdom
“Poor service & poor value for money”
Reviewed 17 May 2011

My wife and I recently stayed in a Superior room which was lovely but hugely overpriced.

The building itself is very pretty and in a great location within Broadway but a bit grubby and uncared for. Dirty tables at breakfast, overfilled dirty ashtrays left for days, dead flys on window sills and radiators jammed on the hottest setting aren't really good enough for hotel charging nearly £200 a night!

Breakfast was very poor indeed with disinterested staff, cheap ingredients, cold food and burnt toast! Even a basic greasy spoon cafe can provide a vastly superior breakfast to this place!

All in all a huge disappointment. Plenty of better places to stay locally.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mothra44
swan_bibury, Manager at The Broadway Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2011
First may I thank you for your comments with regards to your experiences with us here at The Broadway Hotel as I feel that it is essential to hear customer’s feedback irrespective of good or bad in-order for us to progress customer satisfaction levels.

I was upset to hear of your dissatisfaction and sorry that you were not able to bring your thoughts to my attention during your stay. It is so helpful when comments are mentioned at the time, so we have the opportunity to rectify at the time and ensure you of an enjoyable stay.

As we have previously discussed, I have fully investigated the issues you have raised following your recent stay. The issues that you raised fall far below the standards of service we aim to deliver and with that in mind I am pleased that you were able to accept my apology and gesture as compensation.

Once again, thank you for your email and correspondence and taking the time to write this review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
England
Reviewed 15 May 2011

Stayed at The Broadway Hotel for 1 night in May 2011. Whilst it is a lovely hotel it could improve somewhat. Our first problem was with our meal we ordered from the bar; my husband ordered Ribeye Steak & I ordered the Lasagne. When the meal came the Steak tasted oddly of Fish! I an suspecting it gad been cooked in a fish pan. The Lasagne was bone dry pasta and mince and had never seen any sauce in it's life!! My husband sent the steak back and after 30 mins hus meal still hadn't reappeared. It was at this point we asked for a complete refund as my food was inedible too. We were disappointed not to get an apology especially as we were residents. We ate round the corner at the Crown and Trumpet and had an excellent meal at half the price. Our hotel overlooked the Green and although it was a lovely room, the floors sloped quite badly (understandably, due to age of hotel) and we did not sleep well as our bed was also on a tilt and our heads were much lower than our raised feet. I am sure they could easily fix this by levelling the
bed out. We were quite uncomfortable but eventually started to drop off to sleep about 11.15pm only to be disturbed by what could only be described as someone turning on Blackpool Illuminations outside our window. The outside lights had obviously been turned on and they were bright fluorescent orange and were right outside our window!! Consequently we did not have a good night sleep and did not feel the room was worth the £110 we paid. I am pleased to say that breakfast was hugely better than dinner and our waitress was very pleasant and accommodating. I live Broadway but would definitely stay somewhere else next time

• Stayed May 2011
Thank you for taking the time and effort of writing a review following your recent stay with us as I feel that it is essential to hear customer’s feedback irrespective of whether they are good or bad. In order for us to better improve customer satisfaction levels your comments are invaluable.
I am happy to hear that on the whole you where happy with your room. The room that you have described in your review is one of the oldest rooms however all of our rooms have been beautifully refurbished within the last eighteen months. As you can imagine with a 16th century old building there are still some historical aspects of the hotel we are unable to change as we are a listed building, for example the slight slope between the bedroom and the bathroom.

I do apologise that your bar food experience did not meet your expectations, I thank you for bringing it to our attention on the evening, please be assured that I have personally investigated your points raised.

I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Broadway Hotel.
Kingham, Chipping Norton
Reviewed 14 May 2011

Chose The Broadway Hotel for lunch as had previously been very impressed with a sister establishment in Burford. As we entered the lovely building we were asked if we wanted a set menu or bar snack and as we were not sure what was on offer we were given menus to peruse standing in the entrance hall. Once decided we were shown to a table by an uncomfortably hot radiator. I asked if it could be turned down but was told no and would we like another table. There was no attempt by the waitress to carry our drinks, bread, water or menus. As my friend went to sit down her foot caught in the table cloth which was draped on the floor and the seat and my glass of wine splashed all over her and the table. There was again no attempt by the waitress to help in any other than to ask rudely if we would like a third table and then walked away. We were left to mop up the spillage and we had to ask for fresh napkins, for the soggy ones to be removed and for the water left on the first table. A fresh glass was brought without comment or apology or word of concern.
As for the food - we ordered lamb and apricot pie which was lamb casserole with a dry inedible separate piece of cardboard dry pastry and a blob of tasteless mashed potato. At no time did any of the waitresses express concern about my friends predicament nor apologise for the incident.
I wrote to the hotel with my concerns and gave them tiime to reply before I wrote this review but have heard nothing. We wil not be visiting this hotel again for lunch and feel very sorry that this hotel brings down the excellent reputation of it's sister establishments.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank MoatEnd
Thank you for your recent review once again I’m sorry for any delay with reply to your initial email as I was had been on annual leave. I’m happy that we have been given the chance to rectify your experiences and hope you are happy with our offer. I hope that we have restored you with some confidence in The Broadway Hotel. Although you mentioned that you don’t travel to Broadway often I hope in the near future we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Broadway Hotel.
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2011

My Mum and I stayed at the Broadway in August 2010 and loved it so much that we decided to spend the Easter weekend (2011) here. We were so disappointed. The food during our stay was awful and during dinner one evening the Duty Manager cleared our plates and noted that we had left our meal. He asked if there was a problem and we explained that the food wasn't very nice. He dealt with our complaint very badly by becoming very hostile and quite dismissive. This really ruined our stay and we couldn't wait to leave the hotel early the next morning. We did, however, find a fabulous restaurant across the road called the Workshop - we had a great meal there with friendly attentive staff and a lovely atmosphere!

• Stayed April 2011
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your a review on The Broadway Hotel we are always open to here feedback irrespective of good or bad. I am sorry that you where disappointed with your recent stay. I would be very keen to speak with you in more detail regarding your recent stay with us.

You can contact me on 01386 852 401 and ask to speak to me personally, Luke Grimwood.
Nottingham
Reviewed 8 May 2011

My partner and I had a one-night stay here last weekend, our 3rd visit to Broadway but first to this hotel. We were given the Jodami room, which (despite being a bit of a trek round the back of the hotel) was lovely - almost felt like being in a little apartment as its front door opened straight onto the pretty garden. We ate at the hotel after finding that our favourite Broadway eatery (The Swan) was fully booked. Dinner was excellent and our waitress very friendly and efficient, happily going to ask the chef a question about one of the dishes for me. Our bed wasn't terribly comfortable, and the fabulously powerful shower was impossible to use without soaking the (very nice) bathroom, but those would be my only minor gripes. Breakfast was wonderful. The hotel's location is perfect and I would happily stay here again on any future trips to very special Broadway.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bb67Nottingham
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2011

We were a little dubious about what to expect after having read some of last year's reviews, but were very happy with our 2 day stay here. The staff couldn't have been more attentive and were very friendly. Nothing was too much trouble for them and we felt very well looked after. The evening meal in the restaurant was well cooked, with huge portions,but the highlight was the to die for chocolate puddings!! All in all very good value for money and highly recommended.

Room Tip: wifi is BT openzone so not totally free