“Great hotel, friendly staff & amazing food.”
Review of Dormy House Hotel

Dormy House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Broadway
LONDON UK
“Great hotel, friendly staff & amazing food.”
Reviewed 14 June 2011

We stayed here for one night for our wedding anniversary and loved it.

The service was friendly and as the website says "Unstuffy" and we felt at home straight away. The room (4) in the main building was large and comfortable and had a small terrace area that you could stand out on for some fresh air and a view of the countryside.
The lounge area and seating area outside was great too.

We had booked a one night package direct with the hotel including the 4 poster room, 3 course dinner in the barn owl brasserie and breakfast for £185. I think this was great value as the food was delicious and we wished we'd had a few more nights there.

We didn't walk down into broadway but it was about a ten minute drive and the town is very picturesque.

The only draw back for me was that I discovered that we had been moved from the brasserie to the main restaurant for dinner. One staff member e mailed that this was an upgrade when in fact we would be eating from the brasserie menu so it wasn't really. It just meant we would have ended up sitting in a slightly more formal setting. This was due to there being a set menu evening on in the brasserie. After speaking with the manager we did find a table in the brasserie so if that's where you want to eat I'd check when booking.

As I'd already booked the surprise trip for my wife and only found this out a few days before our stay I was forced to tell her which obviously ruined the surprise. Shame..

I'd stay there again in a heartbeat and will bring my golf clubs next time as the course next door looks stunning..

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Reviewed 12 June 2011

The Dormy House was the perfect setting for our wedding.  The service leading up to the big day was outstanding and on the day itself the staff couldn't have been more lovely.  Our food and wine was delicious and one of our guests has since commented it was the best chicken she had ever tasted!  The rooms are beautiful and the location couldn't be better, really in the heart of the cotswolds.  Big thank you to the Dormy House, we will be back!

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank ics7ljh
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2011

I stopped with my wife for one evening as part of their "Great Escape" offer. The hotel is about a five minute drive away from the beautiful village of Broadway and out of the way of anything...a real rural escape. On arrival we were informed we had been given an upgrade to a deluxe room. These rooms were away from the old quaint building which houses the main part of the hotel (reception, barsetc). The rooms were in a chalet style block just across the car park although the area was well lit when walking back to the room late at night . Our room was clean, modern and well equipped, with it all looking very new. The meal we had in the brassiere was excellent and the staff were extremely friendly too. The main building was very oldy worldy with a maze of corridors but had plenty of seating areas including a quiet room with an open fire, Very peaceful and relaxing. The only downside (well for some people anyway) was that there was no mobile signal in the area round the hotel, although wifi was available in the main building.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Ashby-de-la-Zouch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2011

This was a last minute booking to extend our bank holiday weekend away. We couldn't get through on Laterooms.com as the system crashed, so we booked direct with the hotel and they honoured the deal. The hotel is oozing charm and original features. Our room, although on the small size was extremely comfortable, but slightly let down by the bathroom as the bath was dated and could do with replacing.
There was a wedding taking place at the hotel which enabled us to dine in the main restaurant with the brasserie menu. The food was out of this world - congratulations to the chef and his/her staff, and the service was attentive without being fussy.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2011

My partner and I stayed here for one night for his birthday. We had specifically asked for a room with a shower only and were given room number 16. The room itself was fine and the bathroom was nice with a big walk-in shower. My only complaint would be with the bed which, when you laid on the right hand side, went down to such and angle that I spent most of the night hoping I was't going to roll out of bed! My partners side was fine (and he did try it and said the same as me!). It was also quite noisy in the corridor (not sure there is a lot that can be done about that!).

Service at the hotel is excellent. Very friendly, nothing is too much trouble. We had booked DBB and had the set menu which gives you a choice of around 5 courses for starter, main and dessert. Both my partners and my starters were exceptional! I had the wild mushroom risotto with smoked duck breast and he had salmon with crab and corriander. With starters this good we were really looking forward to the main courses which I have to say slightly disappointed. There was nothing wrong with the food it just didn't have the 'wow' of the starters. My partner had the belly pork (no crispy crackling) and I had the venison. For dessert I had the banana tarte tatin and my partner had the pear mouse (its got a fancy name that I can't remember!). He couldn't make his mind up at first between the mouse and a berry sorbet creation but settled on the mouse after the waitress recommended it. To make sure he didn't feel he'd missed out she got him a small slice of the sorbet to try. It was little touches like that that made the stay as good as it was.

Breakfast was really nice with a continental buffet. You order your hot food. I asked if there were any hash browns or sauteed potatoes and the waitress (the same one as for dinner, I think she may have been the head waitress) said they are not on the menu but they should have and would speak to the chef. A few minutes later she came back and said the potatoes were cooking! What wonderful service!

When we arrived on Saturday we decided to do one of the walks available from reception. We walked into Broadway (downhill) and back (uphill). Quite a trek back but wonderful views!

All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable stay.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shell007
Stafford
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Hotel itself was very old worldy with log fires and ticked all the boxes on arrival. We had paid extra for a suite and decoratively it was lovely and spacious. We ate in the fine dining restaurant and the food was really good if a bit formal in service. Despite a lovely venue and good food what ruined the trip for us was that there was no sound proofing in the ceiling about our suite (15) and the noise on the creaky floorboards of the storage cupboard was horrendous and kept us awake till 3am and then up again from 6.30 am. There was no one on reception in the night to complain to and when we complained in the morning the receptionist said "yea we've heard that a few times from customers" The manager did not return our calls or emails and as we had paid in advance (£300 for the night with evening meal) we were not impressed and for this reason alone would not return or recommend

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Mickleton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2011

This hotel is a gem. We went for a short weekend and had a fatstic stay. Food was amazing in the barn owl, only one problem and that was what i was going to eat. Cant wait to return.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadway
The Lygon Arms
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,013 reviews
The Broadway Hotel
The Broadway Hotel
#4 of 6 in Broadway

Been to Dormy House Hotel? Share your experiences!