“Disappointed”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Broadway
Evesham, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We loved the old Dormy House and were full of anticipation to visit after it's refurb. We were sad to find that it has lost its old country house feel. It was so full of character before which seems to have been lost in the modernising. The Garden room restaurant had a cold atmosphere and the staff seemed ill at ease, although the food was excellent. I love this hotel and had really wanted to be able to say good things about our visit but unfortunately that's not the case.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tracy D
DormyHouse, Manager at Dormy House Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your visit to The Garden Room. Of course we are still a 17th century farmhouse and many people love the new interiors, which have retained the old flagstone floors, wood panelling and log fires. But style is a personal thing and we do appreciate your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed the food and hope you will come back to see us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
west sussex, england
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I stayed at the Dormy House last year and it was all very tired.When I was invited by a car maker recently I wasn't looking forward to it but when I got there I was staggered. The private owners have just spent £10 million transorming the place without losing any of the original character.

The staff are lovely and very efficient and the service excellent. The room was very well equipped but a little small.

I didn't rate the food but to be fair it was a corporate event when they have to get 40 meals out at the same time. Disappointed that the sommelier had not noticed that a bottle of French wine was corked before pouring it and several of us drinking it - ugh - big black mark

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your review - we are glad you enjoyed your stay. Our Food & Beverage manager did notice that a few bottles of wine were corked which weren’t served but unfortunately one slipped through the net, apologies and we will do our best to ensure this doesn't happen again. We do hope that you will return soon.
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I was fortunate to stay in the Dormy House last Monday in readiness for facilitating a Management Retreat in Foxhills on the estate. We ate in the Potting Shed in the Tack Room - semi-private area for 14 of us - great atmosphere in there.
Staff were exceptional - helpful, polite, attentive and welcoming.
Food was super - The Moules were popular starters and I had excellent smoked salmon - Delicious Steak for main and then a huge Black Forest Trifle - delicious - The cheese board looked and smelt excellent too.
Sam chose our wines and made a great choice to compliment the dishes and various tastes of the group.

My room was beautifully appointed, the crave system is very techy and fun. Bathroom and shower were warm, and welcoming - comfortable bed and relaxing décor.

Both Nicola and Alice on reception could not have done more for you - informative and helpful - approachable, re-assuring and polite.

Gareth took me to the function room in Foxhills which is a stunning building set in the most beautiful grounds - complete privacy with all the amenities we required - Gareth was incredibly attentive and informative, offering ideas for break-out rooms and other aspects to enhance the workshop.

The buffet lunch and afternoon tea were great - and we were so lucky that the weather enabled us to get outside and see the fabulous views.

This building is about to undergo a refurbishment, although it looked pretty good! when it is done it will be a fabulous venue for exclusive use - be it weddings or management retreats - there is a sense of peace and tranquillity, a very creative and harmonious environment.

I look forward to returning here for work and pleasure....especially when the Spa is open...it will be fantastic!

Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Kent
Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

Originally booked in Lygon Arms, but when we saw the room we declined to stay (terrible!) and Dormy House luckily had room for us. Staff were fantastic, really welcoming, rooms lovely, the public areas are homely with log fires in most, ate in the main restaurant and food was stunning. Didn't want to leave. Feels like Pennyhill Park's younger sibling. Highly recommended.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SecretKent
DormyHouse, Manager at Dormy House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Thank you for your review. We are really thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again soon. Many thanks for the recommendation too!
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2013

My wife and I first stayed at Dormy House in 2010 when celebrating our wedding anniversary and had been meaning to return for sometime. We finally did so on October 25th and enjoyed another wonderful experience. Having enjoyed the Dormy House so much first time around we were both curious as to how the refurbishment may have impacted on the hotel which was already of such a high quality. Well, we need not have worried. The new look Dormy House is fabulous, all very sympathetically restored and upgraded.
Everything ranging from our room, through to the food and the service was first class and all we can both say is a big thank you to all concerned for making our stay so enjoyable. We came away vowing that we will not be leaving it three years until we next return.
When the spa is fully open next year, we think we will have the perfect excuse to return!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom R
We are delgihted that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us and are gald you feel that the quality of service is still as high as ever. We do hope to welcome you back soon.
Glos
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I was treated to lunch in the Potting Shed by my mother-in-law for my birthday. Having viewed the menu on-line beforehand we were both looking forward to it, despite a work colleague warning me of poor service (she had been with her family for a birthday lunch also). The ambience was lovely, and although the staff weren't over friendly, they were polite enough. We both had the chicken pie which looked very nice when it came out on the plate but I was a little disappointed when I started to eat. It was tasty enough and it was packed with filling, however, the flavoured shortcrust pastry case was really hard and took far too much effort to eat to the point where i got fed up with it and ended up leaving most of it. The pie top was puff pastry which was fine. The pie came with six (very nice) chips and a small pot of petit pois, which again took too much effort. I finished my meal with a Millionaire's Shortcake desert which came with peanut ice-cream. That was ok. We were at the table for well over 2 hours so it was a good job we had lots to talk about and didn't have to rush for anything! Overall, the hotel looks lovely (the ladies loo's are worth a look!) but I don't think i shall be rushing back. I'm not generally a complainer and I take most things as they come but this wasn't quite the treat we were both expecting.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank fuzzy1Glos
DormyHouse, Manager at Dormy House Hotel, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Thank you for your comments following your visit to The Potting Shed, we are very sorry that the meal did not live up to your expectations. I can assure you that our focus is heavily on the quality of food and the hospitality and to that extent I have shared your comments with my team. Can I ask you to contact me (Gareth Coles F&B Manager) directly so I can work to reinstall your faith with us.
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We received vouchers for Dormy House from our daughter as a birthday present so we treated ourselves to lunch in the Potting Shed whilst we were holidaying in the Cotswolds, We had an amazing experience from start to finish. All the staff were friendly and knowledgeable, and the food and beverage manager, Gareth Coles came and introduced himself. Our food was all exceptional and the Head Chef, Paul Napper even made us a small birthday cake when he found out it was my husbands birthday. The hotel itself looks absolutely fabulous- lots of small touches and attention to detail.
We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch and I have now managed persuade my husband to treat us to a weekend at Dormy House for our upcoming wedding anniversary.
Thank you so much to all the staff at Dormy House, a truely unforgettable day.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Anna R
Hello and thanks for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your Birthday treat in The Potting Shed and delighted to hear that you will be returning to celebrate your anniversary with us. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadway
The Lygon Arms
#3 of 22 in Cheltenham
The Broadway Hotel
The Broadway Hotel
#4 of 6 in Broadway

Been to Dormy House Hotel? Share your experiences!