“Lovely”
Review of Dormy House Hotel

Dormy House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Broadway
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Visited the Dormy House on 21/04 for afternoon tea in The Potting Shed. Really lovely. Took elderly parents - father in wheelchair. They felt very 'looked after'. We were greated at the door, the table was all set out for us with a space for the wheelchair. Very good selection -regular tea with sandwiches, scones and little cakes/tarts as well as a more savoury tea which was lovely. They also cater for kids which is great. Very reasonable price. The interior is fab. So comfortable too. Staff are super acvomodating and attentive. Would def recommend and shall def go again either for lunch tea or dinner.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
FarncombeandDormy, Manager at Dormy House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Thank you for your review and we are so pleased that you and your parents enjoyed your afternoon tea with us. We do hope to see you again as you say for lunch or dinner very soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,488)

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Which unfortunately we did not use, though we did have a tour of the facilities - if you want an amazing Spa hotel, or you are a golfer, then this would be it!
We stayed only one night - in an 'Intimate Room'. Slightly smaller than I expected but suitable for our needs. The bed is the star attraction, by far the most sumptuous looking & comfiest I think I've ever slept in! The en-suite shower room is wonderful and loved those Temple Spa toiletries.
We had dinner in the less formal Potting Shed which was perfectly fine & our waitress was very helpful.
Breakfast is superb by the way, you really get what you pay for here, and it's great that the check-out is 12.00 as opposed to the usual 11.00.

My only gripe, if you will, would be to do with the general happiness of the staff - and I can see it's also been mentioned by other reviewers. Although they are helpful with any requests or questions, there unfortunately seems to be zero joviality or personality which is the only reason why I've knocked off a star. I don't know if this is required of them by management or whether they are just over-worked...or just unhappy, but if this was rectified then it would be 5 star all the way.
As first impressions go, we were received by the Tweed clad porter in a very sultry manner. Whether or not it was because we didn't pull up in a brand new Vogue or he was just having an Off day, I don't know! But similarly, many of the staff inside just seemed a little...flat, really.
That's my only negative on the place but I hope it's addressed. We would return yes, and make sure we have enough time to use the spa next time...

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We are pleased that you enjoyed your break; the beds are indeed VERY comfy! We pride ourselves in our team who do have great personalities and we are sorry that on this occasion this didn't shine through. Our team are extremely hard-working but are very passionate about the hotel. We hope that when you return you will see the staff, their passion and personalities at their best!

Reviewed 20 April 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a 2 day break at this fantastic hotel. The facilities were brilliant and the staff very pleasant. We stayed in room 16 which was a courtyard room situated next to the main hotel at the front of the building giving views over the cotswold hills to the front. The back of the room had a patio door leading out to a seating area and also allowing access to the main building if you didn't want to go through the front main entrance. The room was very cosy and had a coffee machine, with a container of homemade mini choc chip biscuits and a plate of apples. Although there was no milk in the room you could order this via an apt on the Samsung Tablet which was in the room. I made an order for some milk and it was delivered within 2 mins of the request being made. The milk came in a glass sealed container and contained about 1/2 pint which was plenty to last us through the day. The Spa facilities were fantastic with it being one of the best I have used in a long time. Overall this hotel was outstanding and I will definately come back. It was pricey but when you see the facilities you can see why.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
FarncombeandDormy, Manager at Dormy House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Thank you for your wonderful review! We are really pleased that everything met your expectations and that the spa was one of the best you have been to for a long time. We will be sure to pass your lovely comments around to the team.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

My partner and I have just returned from a night at the Dormy House and I have to say we were both somewhat blown away. Having travelled extensively I find surprise and delight to be increasingly elusive sensations these days, however from the moment we pulled up and parked to be greeted by the tweed attired doormen who came to assist us with our bags, to our reluctant check out we experienced several such instances.

We stayed in room 41 which enjoys dual aspect views over the golf course as well as the outdoor Spa courtyard via it's own private terrace. While there are no minibar facilities there is a Nespresso machine and fresh milk can be ordered at the tap of a button via the 'crave' application on the in room Samsung tablet, possibly the only criticism here, and it is a very minor one, is that the amount of milk delivered could be a little more plentiful, as it is really only sufficient for a couple of coffees at a time. Temple Spa toiletries are provided within a well appointed bathroom featuring both a double ended bath and an excellent 'rainfall' shower.

The spa though is the real revelation, an outdoor jacuzzi which is actually hot, rather than tepid is a wonderful place to while away the time, while the indoor 16 metre infinity pool is as lovely to use as to look at!

There are 2 saunas, one Finnish Juniper, and one Lavender, a salt steam room, and a 3 programme 'storm shower' which has a bracing 'cold mist' setting, just perfect after a session in one of the hot rooms. The facilities are all immaculate, beautifully designed and maintained, falling neither into the uber minimalism of a soulless business hotel, nor the rather tired 'shabby chic / rough luxe' look which seems to have proliferated in recent years, increasingly providing a convenient excuse for incomplete or poorly maintained interiors! Instead the rooms at the Dormy house are exquisitely furnished and designed while being simultaneously welcoming and cosy.

The Garden Room restaurant is excellent, we gorged ourselves on treacle smoked salmon, crab linguine, rack of lamb and cauliflower risotto, while a rhubarb 'crumble' souffle and chocolate mousse were a perfect finish to a thoroughly satisfying meal.

As we left we felt rested, spoiled, and resolute that we would return before long.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful review of Dormy House. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed every element of your stay including dinner and spa experience. We very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We stayed 2 nights in March as a baby moon.

The hotel is well located and easy to find.

The main house where the potting shed and lounge are is fantastic. Beautifully done and really feels cosy without being pretentious.

The rooms are excellent we stayed in a mid priced room in a separate block from the main hotel. Was slightly smaller than I was expecting from photos, but well appointed and the bathroom was lovely. Two things to watch in the room. Firstly there is a light outside the room in the porch which you can't switch off and even with the blind on the door closed it lights up the room at night. If I was staying more than two nights I would have asked them to take the bulb out! Secondly as other reviews say the view from the rooms aren't great we looked at a hedge!

The restaurants are great we ate in the potting shed, was a great meal. Food was perfect gastro pub food. Well priced and really nice. Well worth a visit. Service was a little quick though.

The breakfast room was also lovely, great setting. Breakfast was on the whole excellent good selection although the cooked breakfast didn't seem to have been freshly cooked, but kept warm and was mediocre.

The spa was great we visited twice. The sauna and rain showers were excellent. The pool is warm and it has great selection of spa treatments. Definite highlight!

On the whole an excellent hotel. I will visit again.

I did wonder about the price though, it is expensive for what it is. But then the cotswolds is expensive and here use of the spa is included so it probably is worth it.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your baby moon stay with us in March. We're so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience from the Spa to the food in The Potting Shed and we do hope to welcome back again you soon!

Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on a mid week break, that makes it a little easier on the pocket.
Great location, staff were wonderful, tried the spa - the wife said the best ever, had a 3 course meal - excellent. And spent some time in the bar - lovely with a nice pint.
So basically if I'm fortunate enough to win the lottery I may well just move here permanently!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and we are glad that you and your wife enjoyed your stay. We do hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

We were very excited to go to Dormy House based on the reviews and also word of mouth. It was a special treat for us at the end of a 'glamping' week with our children aged 4 and 6 and was also a personal celebration for my husband and I.
Initial impressions were excellent. No expense has been spared on this place. I started in the spa with Georgina the Head Therapist where I had a manicure and later they squeezed in a pedicure for me. The spa is what sets this place apart from others. It is world class in terms of luxury and facilities. I just wish that we had had more time to try different treatments- be warned that the spa is very popular and you need to book well in advance. I will definitely be back with a friend for a spa day.
The pool is a lap pool, perfectly good size and I had a great swim this morning! They also have 2 saunas - sadly the lavender one didn't seem to be working but I really enjoyed the salt steam room.
The design and decor is really fabulous- not over the top, but understated and quite fun.
The food was delicious and well executed and the waiter at dinner (Italian guy) was very good. The Garden Room is a beautiful setting for dinner. I wanted to dress up a little so I did and so did most others in there, but you can also eat in the Potting Shed which is more of a gastro pub. Breakfast was a bit cold but the service was great.
We had The Hideaway room, actually two rooms and our children had the sofa bed in the separate sitting room which worked great for us, however, the door between the rooms is glass and could do with a blind for privacy and to stop light from the bedroom waking anyone sleeping on the sofa bed. We had a lovely babysitter organised by the hotel so that we could have dinner together after our kids were asleep. Our kids loved that they got welcome bags with lots of toys in- that was a nice touch, as was the tablet computer in the room where they could order a kids film.
A couple of things let them down- our kids had 'High Tea' in the Potting Shed which of course they loved as it was called 'Sticky Fingers', but to be honest it was extremely high in sugar and low in nutritional value! It comprised scones, jam, cream, chocolate cake and jam sandwiches. A few carrot sticks and some houmous at least wouldn't have gone amiss here! Some poor service at lunch in the Potting Shed meant that my husband missed his lunch but to their credit the manager did rectify this at checkout with no prompting.
We felt that on providing us with a special experience, they delivered. We managed to combine a romantic mini break with our kids in tow and that is no mean feat! With dinner included in the room rate, it was actually pretty good value. We will most definitely be back and would enthusiastically recommend to others.

Room Tip: The Hideaway is a good choice for a family as it has a separate sitting room.