“Near on Perfect”
Review of Dormy House Hotel

Dormy House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Broadway
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and went to the Dormy House Hotel for my birthday. Very impressive on arrival. When we walked in we were unsure where to go and 2 members of staff walked past and didn't ask if we were ok. We had to ask if we were in the right section for dinner which we were told we were then offered a seat and a drink. This took ages, then we asked for menus which didn't arrive. Then the manager took care of us which was much better. That's my only gripe about the place. We had dinner in the garden room which is beautifully decorated. We chose from a set menu which is £40 for 3 courses, for the quality that's a bargain. Wine is expensive but who cares, have enough and you're not too worried. Sam the restaurant manager was fantastic, polite and attentive without being intrusive. All the staff were very friendly in the restaurant. The food was sublime, from the scallops to the salmon I couldn't fault it. Top tip if you like rhubarb don't hesitate to choose the soufflé; blooming marvellous. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed: June 2014
FarncombeandDormy, Manager at Dormy House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your Birthday dinner with us in the Garden Room. The Soufflé is definitely one of our favourites! We do hope to see you again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,443)

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We went to Dormy House today for lunch as a precursor to booking the Garden Room for a family get-together later in the year. Lunch in the "Potting Shed" was great with a wide range of choices: wonderful professional service and tasty food. We will certainly be back! A lovely place, really good food and first class service/hospitality

Room Tip: Did not stay at the hotel so I'm afraid I can't comment on the rooms etc.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank judi186338
FarncombeandDormy, Manager at Dormy House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thanks you for taking the time to review your lunch with us. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your meal and we are very much looking forward to welcoming you back for your function in September.

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Simply WOW! A must for those that enjoy quality.
From the moment I entered to leaving the service was outstanding, rooms/facilities superb and the food certainly worth going back for. This hotel is a gem and if you are looking for a luxury hotel in the Cotswolds then this is certainly the one to go for. Will return very soon.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Breno39

Thanks for your lovely review. We are so pleased that your stay with us was faultless! Your review is wonderful and will be shared with our team. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon!

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed for one night on the Sunday Potting Shed deal in a 'comfy' room. The place is beautifully decorated throughout with a good spa. But it's the little touches we thought well done - the tablet in the room; the high-quality tea tray (hot chocolate would be a good addition!) and umbrella in the room; the remote control cars in the men's loo; the jokes on the coasters, personalised for Dormy; the amusing signage throughout; the ability to hire willies and bikes; and how lovely to see a Gideon Bible in the room!. Very well thought out.
We could not fault the staff who were always welcoming, polite and obliging.
Overall it is a wonderful blend of modern and tradition.
This would have gotten a full 5 stars from us had there not been just a few 'niggles':-
The spa could do with a few more loungers as demand outstripped supply the afternoon we were there. The TV in our room was temperamental and took nearly 10 minutes to turn off! The potting shed deal was good but I wouldn't have wanted to pay any more for the room - nice as it was. It was also overly warm at night (and this is only early June) and we could only cool it down through opening windows. Breakfast was good but slow - we had to wait quite a while, as did everyone else we observed, for our hot drinks and for buffet plates and items to be replenished - they need to 'tweak' their service systems. The breakfast food, however, was fantastic and there was a wonderful selection.The Potting Shed itself was beautifully decorated and is what it says - a pub - so don't expect anything more than a decent gastropub menu. Unfortunately the duck was the fattiest-tasting piece of duck I have ever eaten, which was a real shame as the accompanying gravy was delicious. The remainder of the meal was fine.
Overall impressive staff, décor and personal touches - but with a few 'tweaks' required.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rlab815

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us. We really do value customer feedback so your 'tweak' suggestions are very useful. However we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and also shared a chuckle over the coasters! We do hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I have been booked in at the Dormy House due to lack of room at the Conference centre just down the road and was I glad that I was put here instead!

It was set in a very pleasant location with nice features throughout. The key to the room was very heavy and that's a good change from the usual plastic cards!

the breakfast was fantastic - well worth waking up for that's for sure. Room was very clean, and though I didn't get any time to use the spa facilities it looked very pleasant too.

It is a very nice hotel that I would recommend anyone to stay!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thanks for your review. We are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Hopefully you can come back and visit us and take time to relax in the spa soon.

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel is probably one of the best for value for money and the location is not bad. The local town and shops is approx a 15-20 minute drive. My girlfriend and I had a pleasant stay but the hotel receptionist was not hospitable at all. We arrived and had been asked our details, when she could not find them on the system she then asked if I was sure that I had the right hotel (I drove 100 miles from London and did not somehow stumble across this hotel in the countryside!) Then after me going through my own emails to prove we had booked with them she told me there was a system error but there was no apology on her behalf. This did not give me a good first impression. Also on checking out, the same girl tried to charge us for 3 nights stay only then we had to correct her and remind her we had only been there for 2 nights. This was very frustrating. Overall the hotel was great and in a good location but we had poor service and a general lack of hospitality from the receptionist. I'm not one to complain, but she really did annoy with me her attitude. This was probably a one off situation. I would still recommend staying at this hotel despite my unpleasant experience with this particular individual.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Shakeel79
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Excellent location and hotel but it let itself down through lots of small details. Spa treatments booked online and confirmed by email not recognised when we arrived. It was eventually resolved. The spa was open to children for certain hours. Not conducive to a spa experience and totally spoilt the experience, not relaxing to have children splashing around in the pool. The treatments and spa staff were excellent, highlight of stay. Noisy in room as aircon motor kept kicking in all night long not resolved despite complaining about it. This was a known problem which would be important to be resolved. Dinner in the cheaper restaurant was awful eg. Parfait was over salted, dauphinois was slop on a plate. Despite making staff aware of the problem we did not even receive an apology. Waiting staff ok but totally lacked leadership and polish. Beautifully appointed hotel so disappointed that it didn't deliver on the small details that make the difference and are expected when you pay what we paid for our stay.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank M G
FarncombeandDormy, General Manager at Dormy House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you for your review, which I was obviously disappointed to read.
Having discussed this with the team, I know that the Spa Manager spent some time with you and resolved the issues there. Regarding the food and service in the restaurant, we clearly got it wrong on this occasion, but would have liked the opportunity to rectify this on the day, our Food and Beverage Manager did try to contact you, but was unable to reach you.
At Dormy House, we're proud to offer the very best food and service, as the many other reviews confirm, we're sorry and disappointed to have failed this time.

Sarah Stacey

Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadway
Buckland Manor
5 mi away
Charingworth Manor
Charingworth Manor
#1 of 3 in Chipping Campden

Been to Dormy House Hotel? Share your experiences!