“The Good, The Great, and The Ugly”
Review of Dormy House Hotel

Dormy House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Broadway
London, United Kingdom
“The Good, The Great, and The Ugly”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My wife and I celebrated our anniversary by visiting this very popular boutique hotel in Broadway, Cotswolds.

We booked the timeless spa break which included a midweek 1 night stay in a Comfy Room, 60 minute spa treatment each, light champagne lunch in spa restaurant, full use of the spa, breakfast and dinner though we upgraded our meal to The Garden Room (the offer normally includes a meal at their pub "The Potting Shed") for £465.

When we arrived first impressions were high, as we were greeted by a charming gentleman in the car park who directed us to the best place to park and check-in was smooth. We were shown around the grounds and our overall feeling was dormy house incorporates 21st century touches set within its old world Cotswold charm that's slick and sophisticated.

Our comfy room was about the size of a spacious london studio flat, with a shared patio, a good sized tv, tablet with all the hotel information + internet access. The bed was very comfortable, and there was a walk-in shower with accompanied seat for my wheelchair bound wife so again first impressions were faultless. Oh and because it was our anniversary we got a complimentary bottle of champagne!

So why have I given this hotel 3 out of 5? Unfortunately its for quite a few very good reasons.

We booked a table at the garden room restaurant that evening with its uber tranquil setting and large garden with accompanied sign 'please step on the grass'. For starters I had a bill to tail duck terrine, grapefruit and chicoryand and my wife had pan-seared scallop, pea, dandelion and black pudding

Unfortunately as I bit into my duck, it was extremely chewey and then I pulled out to my surprise a lot of cling film (which was holding it together underneath). I raised the issue immediately with the waiter and the chef apologised. I casually mentioned that i wished to not be charged for the starter. My wife found her scallops pleasant enough although the flavours were not particularly strong.

For the mains we both ordered the Poached fillet of beef, smoked onion marmalade, salt beef hash. The fillets of beef were again 'pleasant enough' though we both found the onion marmalade overpowered the taste of the beef, and the side dish of salt beef in melted cheese didn't work - it felt as if it was its own main dish and added a 'stodginess' to the proceedings and with its cheesy saltiness combined with the onion marmalade made for a strange concoction of strong flavours that fell short of the near michellin star asking price of the meal (£40pp).

So a poor starter and below average main was followed by a sensational dessert, which left us even more confused. We both had the Chocolate mousse, salted peanuts with caramel ice cream. It was faultless and delicious and the other courses were well behind in comparison. We asked for the bill to double check the Duck mishap and were told it would be taken off.

So it was off to bed and unfortunately its only at nightime we noticed our room had consistently noisy pipes which kept us both up till 2am. It was room 23 or 21 I think and I promise I'm not exaggerating when I say my central London flat is vastly quieter than this room out in the country. It basically sounded like someone was running a bath upstairs through the night. My wife and I were starting to become miserable and not enjoying our stay.

The next morning we had a very good freshly cooked breakfast and again couldn't help but discuss the inconsistencies of Dormy House with each other.

Upon check out the food mishap wasn't passed onto the bill even though we asked twice. All the checkout lady could do is take off our drinks from the bill (£12) which wasn't great because obviously when a foreign object ends up in your mouth from a negligable saux chef and nothing is taken off the bill as a gesture of goodwill and then with the added embarrassment of having to now ask 3 times is poor service. We did mention the noisy pipes also, and apparently they've not heard that complaint before, so maybe the people upstairs were running a bath all night! Because it was our anniversary we didn't want to kick up a bigger fuss than we normally would have done because it would further tarnish an already tarnished overnight stay and generally we give the benefit of the doubt.

So £465 later and it was off to try out the spa which was included in the package. For a boutique hotel the spa is fairly large and the couples massage my wife and I had was awesome. Almost everything was tranquil and relaxing.

I will mention that the spa lunch was light yet flavourless and boring. The smoothie was tasty and the champagne we received afterwards certainly made up for it. More importantly the disabled changing rooms water temperature for the shower was painfully cold so my wife had to wait around for 30 minutes for someone to get her a chair for the able bodied women's shower room, which was bordering on discraceful (you should see the letter my wife wrote to Virgin trains for keeping her waiting 30 minutes to get her off the train!!). Seriously watch this screen for 30 minutes and then you'll realise that waiting for a chair and twiddling your thumbs for that period of time is offensive. Your 30 minutes starts....now!!

Boring isn't it?!

So we left to go home and our overall feeling was Dormy House is a mixed bag that doesn't justify its price. When you consider you can stay at somewhere like Pennyhill park for an almost identical package for £530 (like we did the year before) where they have a 2 michellin starred restaurant, a theme park sized spa and standard rooms 2-3 times the size of standard/comfy rooms at Dormy House and you start to realise the difference in standards.

I definitely do not recommend Dormy House for the culinary experience but if its a room and spa experience you want then Dormy House is a good option but you might want to consider checking the noise level of the pipes before getting ready for bed otherwise it'll be a long night for you!

Room Tip: If you're wheelchair bound then the spa is fully accessible but ob
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank owen21stcentury
FarncombeandDormy, Manager at Dormy House Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are pleased that you found your room comfortable and enjoyed time in the spa. We have however, clearly let you down on this occasion with the food and the unacceptable wait that your wife encountered in the spa. We're really sorry that these issues weren't rectified straight away. I can assure you that this isn't typical of our team and our service and I do hope that you will return again in the future and give us another chance.

Sarah Stacey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
London , UK
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I was at Dormy House for my sister's 50th birthday recently, and I'd be hard pushed to find fault. As you'll see from my previous reviews - I do usually! We were greeted at the door by friendly but not cringing staff. The hotel decor is gorgeous, but not overly fussy. The fire is permanently lit, but there's plenty of fresh air, fresh flowers and a truly relaxing atmosphere. The spa is beautiful, with a selection of interesting hydro rooms, a nice indoor pool and an outdoor hot tub. If I'm really picky I'd say an outdoor pool would top that off nicely. I didn't try treatments but friends did and raved about them. Our room (4) was large with a balcony & en-suite. I had to taking a running jump to get on the 4-poster bed which was lovely and sumptuous. There were little extras, biccies and fruit in our room, no sign of the dreaded 'hildon' water, large generous bath & shower room, nice selection of toiletries. Breakfast was a delight. The hotel has lots of separate terraces and we experienced, and adored, them all. I didn't particularly like our choice of supper, but that was for a mass-catered party rather than a-la-carte so I can't really comment on the food. In every single way this hotel hit the spot. We are definitely going back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nashes_5
FarncombeandDormy, Manager at Dormy House Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review. We are so pleased that you and your party enjoyed your stay with us. Room 4 is one of our favourite rooms and we're glad that you loved it as much as we do. We look forward to welcoming back again soon and also wish your sister a very Happy Birthday.
London
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

We booked Dormy House through Mr and Mrs Smith and we weren't disappointed. The late deal we got was good value and booking through them meant we got a bottle of champers thrown in for free which the hotel allowed us to drink over dinner. We weren't overly keen on our first room which was a 'comfy ' and situated in the converted stables as it was dark and hot but they let us downgrade to an 'intimate' room in the main house which we preferred. Every room is v different so it's def down to personal taste. The spa was gorgeous, all the food we had was fantastic and the board games in the lounge was the perfect way to end a Sunday evening. This is a lovely hotel in a great location to discover the Cotswolds. We will be back (as soon as we can get a babysitter again...!)

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Starsky14
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We're so pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of you time here, including your champers and board games! We do hope that you will be able to find a babysitter again and come back soon. Alternatively we are doing a 'kids stay free' throughout the school holidays! We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

The title says it all, this is one of our favourite restaurants, the food amazing, the service simply the best! This is one of the Cotswolds greatest secrets. There is an extensive wine list with some very special wines. I would recommend booking in advance, and should time allow take advantage of their spa treatments, including a champagne nail room. There is plenty of parking.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rachel F
Thank you for your lovely review of Dormy House. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and will be sure to pass your wonderful comments onto our team. We hope to see you again soon.
San Gabriel, California
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Dormy House runs with efficiency and attention to detail. Our greeting and check in were accomplished in seated comfort. Common areas of the hotel are uncommonly appointed with inviting fires tended by the friendly doorman, luxurious furnishings, substantial books for browsing, some games and spacious comfort for a couple or small groups. Our room, the lowest price point classic, had no view and was rather small but extremely comfortable with a soft, pleasing color scheme, delightful bedding, excellent toiletries and bathroom. housekeeping called to schedule a time for turn down service which makes such sense rather than the normal knocking and interruptions while dressing for dinner. The room was stocked with water, cookies, oranges and a newspaper in the morning. In room mini iPad and well functioning wifi were beyond the norm. We enjoyed our dinner in the cozy atmosphere of The Potting Shed. Breakfast was beautifully served in the greenhouse-like restaurant looking out into the misty garden.We were not eager to leave, but departed with a farewell bag of water bottles and more of those tender, buttery cookies!
Upon check out we received water bottles and more of those yummy cookies for our road trip.

Room Tip: the countryside is so beautiful, one might ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mimipjs
FarncombeandDormy, Manager at Dormy House Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thank you very much for your lovely review. We're so pleased that you enjoyed all of the 'little touches' that we feel make a big difference to our guests experience. We always like our guests to be well fed and watered before they leave us. A very warm welcome awaits you at Dormy House when you return.
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Dormy house is a real treat, gorgeous setting, gorgeous interior, superb food and service throughout. The spa was immense, so calming and relaxing, friendly, helpful and polite staff. My friend had a treatment and was taken back by how relaxing it was as she fell asleep! I had a nap on the comfy chairs whilst waiting, felt so relaxed. Very nice to go there for a treat, the food in the potting shed was lovely, I think they could have more choice from locally sourced foods but that's my only suggestion, it was a truly lovely afternoon :) very very highly recommended

• Stayed June 2014
We're so pleased that you had a lovely relaxing stay with us, thank you for your wonderful feedback and we hope to see you again soon.
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Visited in a small party to celebrate 2 friends' birthdays. Stayed 1 night. Welcome & check in were faultless. Hotel itself is well laid out, particularly liked the choice of sitting areas, real relaxed feel to it. Spa & pool were everything you'd expect of a recently modernised hotel, as were the rooms. Rooms are stylish, modern, and thoughtfully fitted out, and a good size. On a warm summer's evening, the dining room was shown off to its best, and on the whole, dinner was good. Exceptions were a corned beef hash which was first forgotten by serving staff, and when delivered to the table was dry, and wholly unappetising. 2 members of our party had ordered the main course of which it was a pert, an neither managed more than a mouthful. Service generally was slow - when ordering drinks before dinner, during dinner, and at breakfast. We had to ask for several items more than once, and there seemed to be no recognition that waiting more than 10 minutes for a drink might not be acceptable. Overall, it was an enjoyable stay, if the service had been prompter, the score would be 5. One final warning; the rules excluding children from all spa areas after 5pm are strongly enforced, even if, in our case, the 11 year old in question was sitting quietly in a group of 7, the other all being adults, all enjoying drinks in the evening sun.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review following your recent stay for your friend’s birthday. Firstly we'd like to apologise about the delay in service you experienced. Please be assured that this isn't the norm and that we will take your comments on board. However we're so glad that you enjoyed all other aspects of your stay and we do hope we will be able to welcome you back again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadway
Buckland Manor
#4 of 23 in Cheltenham
The Broadway Hotel
The Broadway Hotel
#5 of 6 in Broadway

Been to Dormy House Hotel? Share your experiences!