“Beautiful and Special”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Broadway
Hamilton, New Zealand
“Beautiful and Special”
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

A lovely spot in a wonderful part of UK. High on the hill and luxurious with a wonderful spa and pool. The Spa was very professional. The establishment is very child friendly and aware of other guests needs. Rooms were very comfortable and well appointed and staff were very attentive. Most enjoyable. Will visit again.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank KingyOE
FarncombeandDormy, Manager at Dormy House Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Broadway, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Decided to have a family treat after my children's school awards afternoon. Booked afternoon tea for 330pm, arrived at 3 and sat out on the terrace to enjoy a drink whilst we decided on what we would like. Ordered our food about 315pm and we were still sitting outside at 345. We went into the Potting Shed and asked if we could come in for our tea now. Were told yes and we were then shown to our table. Lovely we thought, bit late but we did enjoy sitting outside in the sunshine. Sat for a further 15 mins. Waiter then brought out tea and our hot chocolates. Great we thought, sandwiches and cakes next! Well we were still waiting at 430pm for our food. After several trips to the bar/reception to enquire about where our food was, still no food. We were not the only table waiting on our afternoon tea spread to arrive. Seemingly there had been a computer error and our order had not been processed!! When we finally got our food I felt awful as this was a treat for my children and my Father. I can't complain about the food as everything was delicious and beautifully presented. Nor the surroundings as the hotel is just perfect. The lack of service is requiring some attention. The waiters were very pleasant and polite but the time taken from ordering our afternoon tea to receiving it was unreasonable. It was dealt with in a professional manor but please sort out the time taken from ordering food to service. We love visiting The Dormy and enjoy our time there but not the hanging about waiting side!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank CBS1978
FarncombeandDormy, Manager at Dormy House Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your Afternoon Tea. We're so sorry that you experienced such a long wait and due to a system error your order was delayed. We can assure you that this isn't typical of our service and we can only apologise. We do hope that you will come back again soon so we can restore your faith in us.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I knew this Hotel from many years ago and revisited it recently. All I can say is WOW - what a fantastic job they have made of their refurbishment. The new Spa is also out of this world with a wonderful outdoor hot tub. Loved the critical non essentials they provide - air mist for the room, nespresso machine, fresh milk and a tablet in each room.
Really stunning place and set in stunning Broadway - worth every penny!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We're so pleased that you enjoyed your stay in the refurbished Dormy House and that you picked up on the little touches that we think makes a guest experience more memorable. We do hope to see you back again soon.
london
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Just returned from a wonderful weekend at Dormy House. This was my second visit this year and its really hard to pick fault with this hotel. Our bedroom, number 39, was gorgeous. We had a separate sitting area and dressing area but the bathroom only had a shower no bath tub. That didnt bother me as I prefer a shower. The bedroom was lovely, the beds have to be the most comfortable I have ever slept in, in a hotel. They eye to detail is just magical. In the hall way there is a table with extra, water, juice and home made short bread and also newspapers. Little room sprays in the bedroom and lip balm, the list can go on and the decor is contemporary but so comfortable and easy on the eye. The staff are terrific, very friendly and will do anything to make your stay good. The food is excellent. I asked, on booking, if the chef could do diabetic desserts for my husband and I and he came up trumps. Fabulous desserts that were such a treat and he even gave me the recipe for one of them!!! If I am going to be picky and it was hard to find any faults, the housekeeping wasnt quite as good this time as last. They didnt seem to hoover the room on the 2nd day but that did not spoil my weekend and wouldnt stop me from going back, in fact enjoyed it so much am planning another trip.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
FarncombeandDormy, Manager at Dormy House Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you very much for your review. We're so pleased that you have returned for a second time this year and that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you back again very soon.
London, UK
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Just spent a 2 night weekend break with my husband at Dormy House, in a 'top notch' room. We have had quite a few short breaks in Cotswolds spa hotels but this was our first time here. It's a contemporary Cotswold farmhouse on the small and cosy side, without any sprawling grounds, but in a very beautiful location with amazing views.
There are MANY positives to mention; the house and spa are newly refurbished and everything looks absolutely pristine. The spa is beautiful - gorgeous pool, lovely outdoor hot tub, a fantastic champagne nail bar and most importantly amazing treatments. We both agreed that our massages could have been the best we'd ever had. The staff are all very friendly, very eager to help and nothing is any trouble. Finally, we were also very impressed with all the extra touches, which really made Dormy House stand out against some of the competition - for example, the home made biscuits in the room every day, the sorbet served before and after your spa treatment, the bottles of water on check-out for the journey home.. there are quite a few small but thoughtful touches like this.
The negatives are small and probably only temporary as the hotel finds its feet after its recent re-opening. We felt that the staff, while ALWAYS helpful, were a little bit inexperienced. In the Potting Shed (the pub restaurant), we were left waiting for our drinks for an unusually long time, and again at the end of the dinner for our plates to be cleared. I don't even normally notice things like this, but it was a particularly long wait. Second, the tablet in our room (which can be used to order room service) wasn't working properly on either day. Finally, the hotel is HOT!! There are fires burning all year round, and the underfloor heating in the bathroom was on, despite 25 degree temperatures outside... perhaps they might re-think the heating situation later in summer! These are tiny things, but for the fussiest guests might leave an impression that things aren't as slick as they could be.
Overall, it would be wrong to dwell on the negatives as we really enjoyed our stay and the hotel is a lovely place to relax. I think it will be 5/5 after a few more months! And I will remember my spa treatments for a very long time to come.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank toniebaldwin
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We're so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and also your massage! We are sorry about the delay in service that you experienced and we can assure you that this isn't at all typical of the standard of service we offer our guests. We hope we can welcome you back soon and get the 5/5.
Middle England
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Had a very relaxing evening and overnight stay here with my other half recently for our anniversary.
Wanted to see what they had done to the place - boasting a £10Mill refurb is a big boast, but boy was it worth it! The atmosphere was serene, not a word I use lightly and it really would be hard to fault our stay.
Yes it is expensive, but the level of welcome, service, quality and all those 'little bits that make the difference' makes it worth it. It is not stuffy and has some great little quirky touches I loved - look out for the humour in the signs around the place.
Our room was in one of the blocks away from the main building and was beautifully decorated with ample room. We did pay for a Top Notch room though so would expect it to be gorgeous.
Had a workout in the hotel gym followed by a swim in the pool, a visit to the sauna and the outdoor hot tub all before breakfast. Was a little jealous to see the personal training room as it had better equipment than the hotel gym. However for a weekend workout the gym was perfectly adequate.
Only two very small niggles - service in the 'Potting Shed' not quite up to par withe rest of the hotel staff and we didn't get a complimentary bottle of Champagne as promised by staff as it was our anniversary. I know we could have mentioned this at the time - but it really would have taken the edge off the stay to have to remind them...so I didn't.

Room Tip: Worth paying for Top Notch rooms if you can stretch to it....but then I hear the others are lovely t...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank QueenieRoadie
FarncombeandDormy, Manager at Dormy House Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thanks for your review. We're so glad that you and your other half had a 'top notch' stay with us. An early morning spa session is always a must! We look forward to welcoming you both back again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My wife and I celebrated our anniversary by visiting this very popular boutique hotel in Broadway, Cotswolds.

We booked the timeless spa break which included a midweek 1 night stay in a Comfy Room, 60 minute spa treatment each, light champagne lunch in spa restaurant, full use of the spa, breakfast and dinner though we upgraded our meal to The Garden Room (the offer normally includes a meal at their pub "The Potting Shed") for £465.

When we arrived first impressions were high, as we were greeted by a charming gentleman in the car park who directed us to the best place to park and check-in was smooth. We were shown around the grounds and our overall feeling was dormy house incorporates 21st century touches set within its old world Cotswold charm that's slick and sophisticated.

Our comfy room was about the size of a spacious london studio flat, with a shared patio, a good sized tv, tablet with all the hotel information + internet access. The bed was very comfortable, and there was a walk-in shower with accompanied seat for my wheelchair bound wife so again first impressions were faultless. Oh and because it was our anniversary we got a complimentary bottle of champagne!

So why have I given this hotel 3 out of 5? Unfortunately its for quite a few very good reasons.

We booked a table at the garden room restaurant that evening with its uber tranquil setting and large garden with accompanied sign 'please step on the grass'. For starters I had a bill to tail duck terrine, grapefruit and chicoryand and my wife had pan-seared scallop, pea, dandelion and black pudding

Unfortunately as I bit into my duck, it was extremely chewey and then I pulled out to my surprise a lot of cling film (which was holding it together underneath). I raised the issue immediately with the waiter and the chef apologised. I casually mentioned that i wished to not be charged for the starter. My wife found her scallops pleasant enough although the flavours were not particularly strong.

For the mains we both ordered the Poached fillet of beef, smoked onion marmalade, salt beef hash. The fillets of beef were again 'pleasant enough' though we both found the onion marmalade overpowered the taste of the beef, and the side dish of salt beef in melted cheese didn't work - it felt as if it was its own main dish and added a 'stodginess' to the proceedings and with its cheesy saltiness combined with the onion marmalade made for a strange concoction of strong flavours that fell short of the near michellin star asking price of the meal (£40pp).

So a poor starter and below average main was followed by a sensational dessert, which left us even more confused. We both had the Chocolate mousse, salted peanuts with caramel ice cream. It was faultless and delicious and the other courses were well behind in comparison. We asked for the bill to double check the Duck mishap and were told it would be taken off.

So it was off to bed and unfortunately its only at nightime we noticed our room had consistently noisy pipes which kept us both up till 2am. It was room 23 or 21 I think and I promise I'm not exaggerating when I say my central London flat is vastly quieter than this room out in the country. It basically sounded like someone was running a bath upstairs through the night. My wife and I were starting to become miserable and not enjoying our stay.

The next morning we had a very good freshly cooked breakfast and again couldn't help but discuss the inconsistencies of Dormy House with each other.

Upon check out the food mishap wasn't passed onto the bill even though we asked twice. All the checkout lady could do is take off our drinks from the bill (£12) which wasn't great because obviously when a foreign object ends up in your mouth from a negligable saux chef and nothing is taken off the bill as a gesture of goodwill and then with the added embarrassment of having to now ask 3 times is poor service. We did mention the noisy pipes also, and apparently they've not heard that complaint before, so maybe the people upstairs were running a bath all night! Because it was our anniversary we didn't want to kick up a bigger fuss than we normally would have done because it would further tarnish an already tarnished overnight stay and generally we give the benefit of the doubt.

So £465 later and it was off to try out the spa which was included in the package. For a boutique hotel the spa is fairly large and the couples massage my wife and I had was awesome. Almost everything was tranquil and relaxing.

I will mention that the spa lunch was light yet flavourless and boring. The smoothie was tasty and the champagne we received afterwards certainly made up for it. More importantly the disabled changing rooms water temperature for the shower was painfully cold so my wife had to wait around for 30 minutes for someone to get her a chair for the able bodied women's shower room, which was bordering on discraceful (you should see the letter my wife wrote to Virgin trains for keeping her waiting 30 minutes to get her off the train!!). Seriously watch this screen for 30 minutes and then you'll realise that waiting for a chair and twiddling your thumbs for that period of time is offensive. Your 30 minutes starts....now!!

Boring isn't it?!

So we left to go home and our overall feeling was Dormy House is a mixed bag that doesn't justify its price. When you consider you can stay at somewhere like Pennyhill park for an almost identical package for £530 (like we did the year before) where they have a 2 michellin starred restaurant, a theme park sized spa and standard rooms 2-3 times the size of standard/comfy rooms at Dormy House and you start to realise the difference in standards.

I definitely do not recommend Dormy House for the culinary experience but if its a room and spa experience you want then Dormy House is a good option but you might want to consider checking the noise level of the pipes before getting ready for bed otherwise it'll be a long night for you!

Room Tip: If you're wheelchair bound then the spa is fully accessible but ob
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank owen21stcentury
FarncombeandDormy, Manager at Dormy House Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are pleased that you found your room comfortable and enjoyed time in the spa. We have however, clearly let you down on this occasion with the food and the unacceptable wait that your wife encountered in the spa. We're really sorry that these issues weren't rectified straight away. I can assure you that this isn't typical of our team and our service and I do hope that you will return again in the future and give us another chance.

Sarah Stacey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadway
Buckland Manor
#4 of 23 in Cheltenham
The Broadway Hotel
The Broadway Hotel
#5 of 6 in Broadway

Been to Dormy House Hotel? Share your experiences!