“Excellent apart from the food”
Review of Dormy House Hotel

Dormy House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Broadway
“Excellent apart from the food”
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Everything about this hotel is great apart from the food. Staff are polite and attentive the rooms are amazing and the spa is brilliant! Just a little disappointed with the food. We stayed on a Monday night and I had the pork which was undercooked and really fatty and my veg was hard. In the morning I had the Dormy breakfast with a poached egg and the yoke was hard and over cooked. In such a nice place I would expect higher standards.

• Stayed August 2014
FarncombeandDormy, Manager at Dormy House Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We're pleased that you enjoyed your stay but are sorry that the food wasn't as it should've been. We do hope that this won't put you off returning and can assure that next time we will get it right. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Me and my girlfriend visited Dormy House for a few days and had a brilliant time. The location of the hotel was stunning, an ideal break in the middle of the beautiful Cotswold countryside. We hired a bike for one of the days which the Dormy house staff helped organise, which you could truly take in the wonderful views and local tourist attractions.

The staff were fantastic, very very accommodating and were more than happy to go the extra mile. The food in both restaurants was also fantastic.

The facilities were excellent with top notch Spa facilities and infinity pool. Plenty of room to sit a have a quiet drink in Dormy`s 3 lounge rooms and an array of treatments if that's what your after.

For any wanting a stunning trip, away from the hustle and bustle, to relax and enjoy piece and quiet then Dormy House is the one.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
FarncombeandDormy, General Manager at Dormy House Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thanks for your wonderful review. Great to hear that the team helped to make your stay so special. Hope to see you soon.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I write this review with two minds as we really loved Dormy house especially for all the small things but there are a few negatives that if they were sorted I would never want to travel anywhere else.
So first let’s look at the positives, from the moment I considered Dormy house and spoke with Steph the reservation manor she could not have been more helpful even when our chosen date got booked up she offered an upgrade on next date we could take and held it while i tried to move my meeting. At no point did she make me feel an inconvenience to her and in fact on many occasions she took the initiative and called me back. This was the start of the service we grew accustomed to at Dormy. In the end we booked the spa stay package with the champagne lunch.
We arrived around 5pm and it was raining heavily, no sooner had I pulled up in the car park, but we were greeted by staff with an umbrella and offering to take our cases. Once inside we were offered a tour of the Dormy to make sure we got the most out of stay and then then whisked away to check in our room. Again the small things we even noticed at that point sweets and being offered a drink at reception, a fruit bowl and lots of board games in the 3 separate lounges. All set out more like your home away from home.
Once in our room (rose cottage) some pictures attached as well as the ones on the website. We was advised of the in room tablet to be used for ordering anything from room service to fresh milk, we did find it quite strange that the room did not have a fridge especially given all the other attention to detail. Rose cottage was very Cath Kidstone type with floral paper but the attention to detail really was amazing, fresh roses in the room, underfloor heating, all the pictures, art and furniture had been picked specifically. In the room was some of the most amazing tea too, as well as the nespresso with several different coffee options, this was also topped up by the turn down service. As well as this there was also some lovely shortbread in jar and fruit, honestly I know they are missing in the picture but they were there. Last but definitely not least was the temple spa toiletries, I always judge a hotel on these and they were amazing they even left some additional unexpected items like pillow spray, aching joint/foot cream in case you had been walking and face mist, so many lovely little touches.
We were booked into the spa the next day for treatments, but decided to just go and relax, it truly is worth the 5 bubbles luxury rating it has. The pictures do not do it justice, it is the perfect temperature, the robes are so comfortable and staff could not be any more helpful. The treatments the next day did not disappoint, my wife said it was the best she had ever received, usually this type of accolade was reserved for the Grove hotel. Again it was not just the treatment it was all the little things round it like the usual questionnaire form we were seat nicely in the spa restaurant to fill this out and given the most amazing berry smoothie over ice, in the treatment room checking the temperature, the specific aims of the treatment to tailor it so we got the most out of it, at the end of the treatment a full breakdown of areas of concern and how we could address these, we were then taken back to the restaurant to have a sorbet to relax and finish all as part of the treatment.
We then had a spa lunch as part of our package this was either help yourself to the 4 different types of salad, as well as fruits and nuts or have one of the sandwiches from the menu. I had one and my wife the other both were lovely. Also we had a smoothie and a lovely glass of champagne.
So I now move on to a few areas of improvement, unfortunately our shower in the room kept losing heat from the water after about 2 minutes. We did inform reception who had maintenance take a look at a faulty sensor but unfortunately it continued we informed reception a second time at dinner and they advise they were still looking into it. After dinner the same issue was still there and informed reception a final time, as it was now late in the evening the gentleman advised he could have it looked at first thing in the morning, although previously I had been told they had 24 hour maintenance. At that point I left it and we got a show in the Spa instead the next morning.
The next issue was around the Spa, although it is wonderful and extremely well equipped there is just not enough beds around pool considering there is 40 odd rooms there is only 4 beds and 9 seats. Unless you were there first thing or just as someone was leaving it was not possible to get one. I would suggest more are placed where the lanterns are at the end of pool, replacing them if necessary. Finally we have been to other spas that have a hair dryer and shaving kits/deodorant this just allows you have a proper shower after your treatments if you have to take them check out which had to do due to availability.
The final issue was the most major of them all which was the garden room, I am very sad to say this one thing that would make us think twice from returning to Dormy House and if we did we definitely would not eat there. To start with as has been commented by everyone else the portion size is far too small on the starter and main, really you would need another 2 courses to feel suitably full. That is not to say me or my wife are big eaters and we regularly enjoy fine dining, the portion size on the dessert was perfect and the soufflé was wonderful. The flavours and presentation again was wonderful and the same can be said about breakfast just increase the size of the portions or add another course to make it 4 or 5 course menu. Also strangely there was no amuse bouche or specials which I would of expected in this class of restaurant.
The worst part however was the level of service, I cannot remember the last time I did not add a gratuity but I did not here due to such poor service, this ranged from people coming in after us and being served before us, forgetting to give us a dessert menu, not checking after a suitable period if our food was ok, and only once where asked if would like any drinks, despite our glasses being empty. Getting people’s attention was also extremely difficulty. This was not the level of service I would expect in a restaurant of this calibre, to be fair I would not expect this level of service for any meal I went for. I did bring the fact we felt like we had been forgot about to attention of gentleman in suit that seated us, and he advised it was definitely not the case.
Breakfast the next morning was similar, however the service was slightly better, portion size was still an issue, my wife ordered eggs benedict and it was a single portion where we would have expected two in most places, unfortunately as that was all she was planning on eating we had to wait and order a second. The toast although presented lovely in a double linen bag with beads to keep it dry and warm there was only two small baguette slices.
One final point for suggestion is it would be useful to provide average nutritional details for each of the meals in the restaurant and spa. This is not difficult to do but would help hugely some of us that have to follow certain dietary requirements.
As I said at the start of my review there is so many amazing little things that Dormy does so well, how every member of staff in the Spa and reception are so helpful and always smiling, it really makes a wonderful impression it is just such as shame that the restaurant lets it down so much. Please fixed this and without doubt this would be a 5*+ review!

Room Tip: could not recommend rose cottage enough
2 Thank Pingu_the_penguin_84
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review, the information is really helpful to us when we're carrying out training.
I'm delighted that you enjoyed the attention to detail, we find that small, thoughtful touches make such a difference.
Obviously I was disappointed to read your comments about the Garden Room, whilst portion size of dishes is a matter of personal opinion, there is simply no excuse for poor service. Please be assured that this has been addressed.
I do hope that you will give us another try and this won't be your lasting impression of Dormy House.
Hope to welcome you back soon.
Pontefract, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Stayed here two nights for our wedding anniversary on a "Gourmet package".
The hotel is just stunning - beautifully appointed and very much to our taste, with some nice little touches.
The staff were, without exception, friendly, polite and very professional.
The food choice was good (even for vegetarians) and the desserts in particular were just delicious!
A small niggle is the limited choice of bar drinks (aperitif and after-dinner), but that aside, it is now my favourite UK hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
We're so pleased that you had a great stay, hope to see you again next year for your anniversary (if not before)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Fantastic hotel, wonderful service and amazing spa! Our second visit to the Dormy in the last 3 months and we are still smitten! The ambience, service on arrival and departure, the spa facilities and treatments are all second to none. They do everything so well, right down to every candle being lit at all times, a pillow mist left by your bed at night, wonderful toiletries in your bathroom, no complaints.

The only thing I would say though is being a vegetarian, there is only ONE choice of mains on the Potting Shed menu which is such a shame as meat/fish eaters get at least half a dozen choices on the menu. Having been to the Dormy twice in the last three months it has meant that I have had the SAME vegetarian main course both times *Polenta and roast veg) as this is all that is available on the menu. I don't want to have to make a fuss and ask the chef to rustle something else up instead of that choice, I want to go out for dinner and be presented with a choice of well thought out vegetarian dishes with choice.

I hope that the chef takes this on board and comes up with at least 2 choices of vegetarian dishes. There was a salad available (blue cheese) but I had eaten salad at lunch time in the spa café so wanted something tasty and interesting. I don't fancy polenta and roast veg yet again when I visit the Dormy next time!

Other than that, this place is fantastic!

1 Thank RealFoodieGirl
FarncombeandDormy, Manager at Dormy House Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We're so pleased that you came back to visit us again and enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your feedback about the vegetarian options on the menu. Jon Ingram and his team will always be able to serve up something different for you. Just let us know when booking your next visit about your requirements and we will ensure that a new delicious dish is available. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We booked in at the newly opened spa for a day of treatments and from the moment we walked in we had a wonderful experience from the very warm and personal welcome to the comfort and luxury of the surroundings.
All the staff seemed like they wanted to be there and not just to do a job. They were marvellous, friendly, personable and very 1:1 in their approach. Our treatments were amazing. One of the best massages I have had for a long time. The facial, rasul mud treatment and the manicure were all amazing and they all went that little bit further. My manicure included a neck and shoulder massage. My facial was not just a facial, it included had and feet treatment too. My husband has even been converted to having pedicures! The spa is wonderful. Very tastefully decorated and very well equipped with sauna's, salt steam rooms, a pool, gym etc.
The greenhouse area is very comfy and welcoming and we were lucky as it was a sunny day so the big glass doors were open and we were able to sit outside and enjoy the spectacular views. Staff again, very attentive.
We enjoyed a champagne lunch and who knew that a selection of salads could taste so scrummy!
We never felt rushed, the treatments were well spread out and we felt we were able to fully enjoy the facilities and relax!
If I was going to provide any constructive feedback it would be as follows:
The salads at lunch time, although amazing and delicious, are a little challenging to serve one-handed as there is no where to set down your plate while self serving. I would suggest a one handed implement to serve with or place lower down on a table where you can set down your plate. For some of us shorter people it was a little bit of a challenge.
Secondly, we had ordered coffee's during the day and had placed them on a tab. As we were leaving, I asked to settle up. The bar tab and the front desk are not linked up, so I had to pay the balance for my spa day and my drinks separately. No big deal really. The lovely lady went to search for the card machine for the bar tab but after several minutes couldn't find it. Rather than detract from our positive experience and continue to make us wait, she said she would just wave the tab. This was extremely kind of her and again a great example of how customer experience is so very much at the forefront at this establishment. However, I feel bad and I am still happy to pay the tab and my offer still stands if Dormy House want to give me a call, I will pay over the phone!
Overall, I am so glad I found this little gem of a place. I hope it doesn't change as it gets busier. it was a wonderful day and we were both exhausted after a day of amazing pampering! Thank you to all the staff who made our day special.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for such a lovely review. We're so pleased that you enjoyed a relaxing day in the spa. We have taken your comments on board about where the salads are placed. Feedback like this always helps us to improve the experience for our guests. We do hope to welcome you back again very soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My partner and I stayed one night at Dormy House. The main house itself is completely stunning. There are cosy lounges to sit in and have a drink, where we enjoyed a gin and tonic before a lovely meal in the potting shed. It was really warm the day we visited so we enjoyed a cocktail whilst laid out on sunbeds on the terrace popping in and out of the spa facilities for the day. The staff were all extreamly kind and professional also. I can imagine in the winter it would also be great to visit, with roaring fires and an outdoor hot tub.

However, I am sad to say, we were disspointed with our room for the price we paid. I would just like to provide a warning to others so your expections are met. As I only came across raving reviews and if I had known, I would have stayed in a different room and paid the extra. The bed was comfy and it was dark at night, and it was very clean, it had great coffee/tea available, we were staying in a 'comfy' room, which was not the lowest priced room (which was an 'intimate' room). It was a newly built room in an old barn on the ground floor, it felt very modern inside and lacked character, the shower pumped hot and cold and the room was really small. It had very little natural light and it got really stuffy in the hot weather, the AC unit provided didn't suffice and we couldn't leave the window open as it was a door that opened to a path.
We still enjoyed our stay, as the room was only one aspect. Dormy House is a stunning place and the service is great, I am sure they have plently of lovely rooms, but just be warned don't presume all rooms are as fantasic as the next.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cphelan_13
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are delighted that you had a good time and enjoyed your cocktails in the sun! We're sorry that you were disappointed with your room and we appreciate that they are all down to personal taste. We do hope that you will come back and visit us again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadway
The Lygon Arms
#2 of 3 in Chipping Campden
The Broadway Hotel
The Broadway Hotel
#4 of 6 in Broadway

Been to Dormy House Hotel? Share your experiences!