“Beautiful hotel, excellent service - and nearly all good value” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dormy House Hotel

Dormy House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Broadway
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel, excellent service - and nearly all good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

Room was beautiful and service impeccable. Loved the little touches like toast in a bag at breakfast and a checkout bag with bottled water and biscuits for your journey. Nothing was too much effort. We spent a lot of time in the spa, which I would recommend - especially the Skin Investment facials. We also had the Rasul mud treatment for two - this was the only thing that didn't feel great value (£90 for two pots of warm mud to apply yourself in a steam room). But overall our stay was excellent.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
FarncombeandDormy, Manager at Dormy House Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Thanks for your great review. We're pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and experience in House Spa. We believe that it is all the little touches at Dormy House which makes our guest stays extra special. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Somerset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

My husband and I enjoyed two nights here in August. The hotel has recently been refurbished to an exceptional standard and the state of the art spa offers fantastic facilities and I enjoyed a superb massage here. Rooms (ours was "top notch") are spread between main house and outbuildings, ours was spacious, spotless and comfortable. Bathroom had large bath and excellent walk in shower. Views from most rooms are limited. We ate in both the potting shed and the restaurant. Food in both was delicious, service better in the restaurant. Location is fantastic with walks from the hotel into Broadway and onto the Cotswold Way. Staff throughout we're welcoming, friendly and professional. A wonderful stay, we highly recommend this hotel for a luxury break, probably best enjoyed without children!

Location
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your massage in the spa and the food. We will make sure that your lovely comments are passed onto our team and we hope to welcome you back again very soon.
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

Had a fantastic 2 nights away with our children and dog. The hotel is beautiful, very nicely decorated with a spot on mix of old and new. Our room was one of the cottages and interconnected with our children's room. Both rooms were spotlessly tidy, well stocked with nespresso and had tablets and free wifi in every room. Another nice touch was a jar of cookies and fresh fruit which were much appreciated after a long journey.

The dining was great. Unfortunately the 2 days we stayed are the days that The Garden room kitchen is closed (Sunday and Monday). The Potting Shed was nice, though. We also had afternoon tea which was lovely and quite indulgent.

By far my favourite thing about this hotel was the spa. It's a beautiful place and the facilities were free to use for guests. I thoroughly enjoyed lounging by the pool whilst the kids swam, and made use of the thermal journey-type experience - heaven.

I would definitely recommend and intend to revisit at some point in the future.

Room Tip: We had a comfy suite which was suitable for dogs, so was just across from the main building and was...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Antonia1984
Thanks for taking the time to review your stay at Dormy House. We're pleased to hear that your family enjoyed it and had a great time in the spa! We hope that you will be able to visit us again soon and try The Garden Room next time.
England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

My husband and I love the Cotswolds so were seriously looking forward to our stay at this luxury hotel and spa in one of our favourite Cotswold villages, Broadway.
After parking our car, we were greated by a lovely chap who took our bags and guided us to reception. After booking in and a brief tour, we arrived at our 'Splendid Room' to find our bags had kindly been brought up to our room already! And what a room, beautifully and tastefully decorated and so clean, it's the perfect blend of old and modern with a high-end chic twist. The views across the countryside were stunning from our first floor window too. My husband and I wasted no time unpacking, eager as we were to hit the spa and begin to relax.
We decided not to book any treatments, opting purely to use the house spa facilities and we chose well. The design and attention to detail is amazing, the infinity pool wasn't heated but was welcomely refreshing after using the salt infusion, lavender heat and juniper steam rooms. The senses shower is also a nice touch. The heated outdoor bubble tub completed the spa facilities and was lovely to relax in after a few lengths of the pool. We quite happily spent a few hours alternating between the pools and steam rooms before heading back upto our room for a rest. As we had been unable to stop ourselves from having a 2 course lunch earlier in Broadway we decided against booking dinner but were told by other guests that the food was exquisite so next time we will definitely be dining there! With that in mind, it was back down to the pool and steam rooms for round 2!! It was definitely quieter towards the end of the evening and found ourselves to be the only ones in there for at least the last hour which was fab for us! The facilities closed at 9pm so plenty of time for a nightcap downstairs in the lounge before bed. Perfect end to the day was sinking into the comfortable bed and lying on the softest pillows ever....heaven!

Breakfast was the usual choice of cereals and continental plus wide range of cooked breakfast options from the menu. All freshly cooked, locally sourced produce. I can recommend the eggs benedict....devine and totally scrumptious!
Checkout is at 12pm which saves rushing about getting ready to leave at the usual earlier time of 10/11am and we were given a gift bag upon checkout of 2 bottles of Malvern spring water and a bag of homemade biscuits, such a lovely touch.
Our stay at the Dormy was amazing, the staff are friendly, polite and smiley, nothing is too much trouble and they are clearly dedicated to making your stay with them a pleasurable one. The hotel is beautiful, immaculately clean, well designed and finished combining style and comfort effortlessly. We enjoyed every second of our stay, would highly recommend it and can't wait to return.

1 Thank Dawn E
Thank you for your lovely review and choosing to stay with us. We're pleased that you managed to relax and enjoy all that House Spa has to offer. We will make sure we pass your wonderful feedback on to all of our team and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Everything about this hotel is great apart from the food. Staff are polite and attentive the rooms are amazing and the spa is brilliant! Just a little disappointed with the food. We stayed on a Monday night and I had the pork which was undercooked and really fatty and my veg was hard. In the morning I had the Dormy breakfast with a poached egg and the yoke was hard and over cooked. In such a nice place I would expect higher standards.

• Stayed August 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We're pleased that you enjoyed your stay but are sorry that the food wasn't as it should've been. We do hope that this won't put you off returning and can assure that next time we will get it right. We hope to see you again soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Me and my girlfriend visited Dormy House for a few days and had a brilliant time. The location of the hotel was stunning, an ideal break in the middle of the beautiful Cotswold countryside. We hired a bike for one of the days which the Dormy house staff helped organise, which you could truly take in the wonderful views and local tourist attractions.

The staff were fantastic, very very accommodating and were more than happy to go the extra mile. The food in both restaurants was also fantastic.

The facilities were excellent with top notch Spa facilities and infinity pool. Plenty of room to sit a have a quiet drink in Dormy`s 3 lounge rooms and an array of treatments if that's what your after.

For any wanting a stunning trip, away from the hustle and bustle, to relax and enjoy piece and quiet then Dormy House is the one.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
FarncombeandDormy, General Manager at Dormy House Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thanks for your wonderful review. Great to hear that the team helped to make your stay so special. Hope to see you soon.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

I write this review with two minds as we really loved Dormy house especially for all the small things but there are a few negatives that if they were sorted I would never want to travel anywhere else.
So first let’s look at the positives, from the moment I considered Dormy house and spoke with Steph the reservation manor she could not have been more helpful even when our chosen date got booked up she offered an upgrade on next date we could take and held it while i tried to move my meeting. At no point did she make me feel an inconvenience to her and in fact on many occasions she took the initiative and called me back. This was the start of the service we grew accustomed to at Dormy. In the end we booked the spa stay package with the champagne lunch.
We arrived around 5pm and it was raining heavily, no sooner had I pulled up in the car park, but we were greeted by staff with an umbrella and offering to take our cases. Once inside we were offered a tour of the Dormy to make sure we got the most out of stay and then then whisked away to check in our room. Again the small things we even noticed at that point sweets and being offered a drink at reception, a fruit bowl and lots of board games in the 3 separate lounges. All set out more like your home away from home.
Once in our room (rose cottage) some pictures attached as well as the ones on the website. We was advised of the in room tablet to be used for ordering anything from room service to fresh milk, we did find it quite strange that the room did not have a fridge especially given all the other attention to detail. Rose cottage was very Cath Kidstone type with floral paper but the attention to detail really was amazing, fresh roses in the room, underfloor heating, all the pictures, art and furniture had been picked specifically. In the room was some of the most amazing tea too, as well as the nespresso with several different coffee options, this was also topped up by the turn down service. As well as this there was also some lovely shortbread in jar and fruit, honestly I know they are missing in the picture but they were there. Last but definitely not least was the temple spa toiletries, I always judge a hotel on these and they were amazing they even left some additional unexpected items like pillow spray, aching joint/foot cream in case you had been walking and face mist, so many lovely little touches.
We were booked into the spa the next day for treatments, but decided to just go and relax, it truly is worth the 5 bubbles luxury rating it has. The pictures do not do it justice, it is the perfect temperature, the robes are so comfortable and staff could not be any more helpful. The treatments the next day did not disappoint, my wife said it was the best she had ever received, usually this type of accolade was reserved for the Grove hotel. Again it was not just the treatment it was all the little things round it like the usual questionnaire form we were seat nicely in the spa restaurant to fill this out and given the most amazing berry smoothie over ice, in the treatment room checking the temperature, the specific aims of the treatment to tailor it so we got the most out of it, at the end of the treatment a full breakdown of areas of concern and how we could address these, we were then taken back to the restaurant to have a sorbet to relax and finish all as part of the treatment.
We then had a spa lunch as part of our package this was either help yourself to the 4 different types of salad, as well as fruits and nuts or have one of the sandwiches from the menu. I had one and my wife the other both were lovely. Also we had a smoothie and a lovely glass of champagne.
So I now move on to a few areas of improvement, unfortunately our shower in the room kept losing heat from the water after about 2 minutes. We did inform reception who had maintenance take a look at a faulty sensor but unfortunately it continued we informed reception a second time at dinner and they advise they were still looking into it. After dinner the same issue was still there and informed reception a final time, as it was now late in the evening the gentleman advised he could have it looked at first thing in the morning, although previously I had been told they had 24 hour maintenance. At that point I left it and we got a show in the Spa instead the next morning.
The next issue was around the Spa, although it is wonderful and extremely well equipped there is just not enough beds around pool considering there is 40 odd rooms there is only 4 beds and 9 seats. Unless you were there first thing or just as someone was leaving it was not possible to get one. I would suggest more are placed where the lanterns are at the end of pool, replacing them if necessary. Finally we have been to other spas that have a hair dryer and shaving kits/deodorant this just allows you have a proper shower after your treatments if you have to take them check out which had to do due to availability.
The final issue was the most major of them all which was the garden room, I am very sad to say this one thing that would make us think twice from returning to Dormy House and if we did we definitely would not eat there. To start with as has been commented by everyone else the portion size is far too small on the starter and main, really you would need another 2 courses to feel suitably full. That is not to say me or my wife are big eaters and we regularly enjoy fine dining, the portion size on the dessert was perfect and the soufflé was wonderful. The flavours and presentation again was wonderful and the same can be said about breakfast just increase the size of the portions or add another course to make it 4 or 5 course menu. Also strangely there was no amuse bouche or specials which I would of expected in this class of restaurant.
The worst part however was the level of service, I cannot remember the last time I did not add a gratuity but I did not here due to such poor service, this ranged from people coming in after us and being served before us, forgetting to give us a dessert menu, not checking after a suitable period if our food was ok, and only once where asked if would like any drinks, despite our glasses being empty. Getting people’s attention was also extremely difficulty. This was not the level of service I would expect in a restaurant of this calibre, to be fair I would not expect this level of service for any meal I went for. I did bring the fact we felt like we had been forgot about to attention of gentleman in suit that seated us, and he advised it was definitely not the case.
Breakfast the next morning was similar, however the service was slightly better, portion size was still an issue, my wife ordered eggs benedict and it was a single portion where we would have expected two in most places, unfortunately as that was all she was planning on eating we had to wait and order a second. The toast although presented lovely in a double linen bag with beads to keep it dry and warm there was only two small baguette slices.
One final point for suggestion is it would be useful to provide average nutritional details for each of the meals in the restaurant and spa. This is not difficult to do but would help hugely some of us that have to follow certain dietary requirements.
As I said at the start of my review there is so many amazing little things that Dormy does so well, how every member of staff in the Spa and reception are so helpful and always smiling, it really makes a wonderful impression it is just such as shame that the restaurant lets it down so much. Please fixed this and without doubt this would be a 5*+ review!

Room Tip: could not recommend rose cottage enough
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Pingu_the_penguin_84
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review, the information is really helpful to us when we're carrying out training.
I'm delighted that you enjoyed the attention to detail, we find that small, thoughtful touches make such a difference.
Obviously I was disappointed to read your comments about the Garden Room, whilst portion size of dishes is a matter of personal opinion, there is simply no excuse for poor service. Please be assured that this has been addressed.
I do hope that you will give us another try and this won't be your lasting impression of Dormy House.
Hope to welcome you back soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadway
The Lygon Arms
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,208 reviews
The Broadway Hotel
The Broadway Hotel
#4 of 6 in Broadway

Been to Dormy House Hotel? Share your experiences!