“One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in”
Review of Dormy House Hotel

Dormy House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Broadway
Reviewed 5 August 2009

Fabulous stay at the Dormy House. Lovely old building with original features. Wonderful friendly staff - nothing was too much trouble. Meals were superb - both in the bar and the dining room. We had great fun playing croquet on the Sunday morning. Would love to come back here, maybe on a winter break.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,442)

Reviewed 28 July 2009

The room we were given was a small double situated on the front of the hotel. It was clean and comfortable and the toilet/bath/shower facility more than adequate. Four star it was not. The bar was comfortable and the outside facilities for my smoking wife were ok although no ash trays to be found. The evening bar meal and wine was really excellent and good value. We had a good nights sleep and arrived in the breakfast room to be greeted by the restaurant manager who couldn't raise a smile. The waitresses lacked confidence and smiles. The whole meal was spent in a very gloomy manner. It was all very posh with the main course beautifully served on square white plates but not my way to start the day. This hotel was okay but not great

Reviewed 23 July 2009

I have just returned from a lovely long weekend celebrating my Husbands birthday and WOW was this hotel a real treat! All the staff were friendly and helpful. Food was fabulous and service outstanding. We had a spacious suite and it was lovely with views over the neighbouring golf course and welsh hills in the distance - yes that far! We felt relaxed from the moment we arrived and throughout the trip, despite some of the awful rain! Would recommend eating in the Barn Owl rather than the Dining Room but that was purely based on personal preference. Local attractions kept us busy but if the weather was better, the local walks would offer great fresh air and stunning views. Recommend Stanton (couple of miles from Broadway) for an unspoilt cotswolds village. Broadway is excellent for gift shopping - All of my Heart and Cotswold Trading - both excellent choices for unusual presents. We will definitely return this year!!

Reviewed 11 July 2009

We stayed for just one night during our driving trip through the Cotswold. This was one of the few finer hotels in the region that accepted single night weekend bookings. Glad they did. It is a wonderful country hotel.
Our large comfortable room is the one pictured on the tripadvisor page. With a large bed, a sitting area, and a small balcony outside the window.
Dinner and breakfast in their dining room were both fantastic.
All the staff we met were very friendly and helpful, with one noteable exception. We felt that the dining room host was very snotty. It was not so much what he said, but how he said it. At first we thought we were misintrepreting his attitude, but saw the same behavior with other guests. Everyone else was so friendly and nice, his attitude stood out to us.
Other than that we felt it was a great place.

Reviewed 10 July 2009

Overall, my husband and I enjoyed our stay at the Dormy House, with a few exceptions. We stayed in a recently created room in the main building with a calming modern decor. It was huge with a large sitting area. Everything seemed to be of top quality, the lighting was excellent, and there was giant flat screen TV. There was a writing desk near the door, and also a desk that I used as a dressing table next to the bathroom. We appreciated that there were tea and coffee making facilities in the room.

There were a few kinks with our new room: There was no safe in the room (when we inquired we were told it had not been installed yet), water splashed out the shallow bathroom sink, and it was too warm in the room at night. (The weather was cool when we were here, so we were glad that heat was available, but it was too warm. This room would be lovely in cold weather – there was radiant heat in the floor.)

Our rate included breakfast and dinner, and we thought it was an excellent value. The food was good enough that we were happy to eat here all three nights of our stay.

The hotel staff seemed oddly detached. My impression was that they focused only on administrative work (such as taking reservations). We didn’t experience anyone providing a warm welcome when we checked in or asking if we enjoyed our stay when we checked out. One evening it was raining hard, and the small courtyard we passed through on the way from our room to the restaurant was flooded with at least a couple of inches of water. I mentioned this at the reception desk and asked if something could be put in the courtyard to step on to keep our feet from getting wet, but nothing was done, and no apology was made for the situation. Had we asked for assistance with sight-seeing, I wonder if we might have had a different impression of the staff.

The restaurant and bar staff was much better than the hotel staff. A couple of times the service was maddeningly slow; I think it was more because of the kitchen than the wait staff. We had some excellent desserts here. The sticky toffee pudding in the bar was the best we’ve had, and there was a dessert in the restaurant (something involving blackberries) that was outstanding.

The location was convenient for sightseeing in the Cotswolds. We liked the rural location. However, I think it might have been challenging to find without a GPS.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank enchanted7
Reviewed 25 May 2009

Our trip was a suprise weekend away for my partner's birthday and something that i wanted to be special. After taking a personal recommendation and looking at their web site and reviews i rang and booked. Lisa in Reservations listened to all my concerns and gave me all the help i could ever ask for. She recommended one of the suites which in my opinion is worth the money for somewhere special. We felt at home the moment we walked through the door, The suite was spacious, contemporary and furnished to a very high level.
The service provided by the entire staff during our stay was superb. Everything was done with a smile, nothing was too much trouble. All we did was sit down and everything came to us. Both dinner and breakfast were excellent and served in a calming and enchanting enviroment. We did not feel rushed at any time. Their attention to deal was excellent, it was a suprise treat for my partner's birthday and without my knowledge, her desert was present with Happy Birthday traced in chocolate along the top of the plate! A very nice touch.
This place is a little gem and we will be returning for my birthday later in the year.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2009

I've recently returned from a two night stay at the Dormy House Hotel. I actually had two hotels shortlisted and it was due to the outsatnding reviews on trip advisor that I made my final selection and I was not disappointed.
We made use of two special offers consequently our first nights package included dinner at the Barn Owl bar and the second, dinner in the Restaurant.
Upon arrival we were greeted and efficiently checked-in. There was a problem with our first room which was quickly resolved by moving us to a second room which in fact ended-up being more to our taste in decor (more modern and recently decorated) The room was very clean the bed linens of good quality.
I have to say the food was outstanding and far better than we expected. The hotel is in the middle of nowhere so it is really wonderful that there is a kitchen that can produce such good quality food in the various combinations. The Barn Owl Bar was our favourite.
There are Wedding and conference facilities which were not in use during our visit so I cannot comment on how this would affect a stay.
There was a fire kept on the grate of the sitting room in the main house which was lovely to sit near.
We did not try the steam room/sauna but did go on one of the mapped walks. Other than that we visited the steam train in Toddington.
Overall we had a lovely stay, the service was great, I would recomend that you ask for one of the more modern bedroom rooms. We enjoyed our food at each meal and being in the beautiful Cotswolds.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadway
Buckland Manor
5 mi away
Charingworth Manor
Charingworth Manor
#1 of 3 in Chipping Campden

Been to Dormy House Hotel? Share your experiences!