“Afternoon Tea”
Review of Buckland Manor

Buckland Manor
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Broadway
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We did not stay there but wish we had. We greeted on the outside of the property by a very nice young woman. She told us that Sunday was very busy and that today, Saturday would be much better,since it was to early for tea we came back a little later and was greeted outside by the same lovely young woman. The service was beautiful and the sandwiches scrumptious and the scones and clotted cream delicious.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Donna K

Reviewed 16 June 2014

The whole of Buckland Manor is old world charm and some of it , is a little behind with the times.It is situated in beautiful grounds in the delightful hamlet of Buckland just a couple of miles outside Broadway.The grounds and setting are idyllic, the house is very much an old manor house with country charm decor, but some of it is showing signs of being a little jaded.We stayed in a master bedroom called Floral , which is on the first floor and has lovely views out over the front of the manor and grounds, This room costs £575 per night, so I expect to have a lot for the money. The room is large with a separate dressing corridor and huge bathroom. There are two old fashioned and incongruous items in the bedroom, a huge electric fan, very noisy, and could not be used whilst asleep at night, and conversely an electric fake fire installed in the fireplace with the electric lead plugged into the adjacent wall, both looked odd and outdated.The wall paper had signs of water damage running down the walls? The bed was massive and very comfortable but the pillows were lumpy and not of the highest quality, both my husband and I remarked on the pillows independently.
The bathroom is an excellent size with double sinks and a dressing table, plus a large rainforest shower, but the disappointment was the bath, a large bath but an old fashioned single ended bath with taps at one end,(ie, one person gets the tap end) in a bathroom of this size it could easily accommodate a more luxurious double ended huge bath.
There is much to commend the place but a few irritations made it not up to scratch, we decided to sit outside on the back lawn after arrival and drink a glass of champagne, the gardens are pretty and it was supposed to be tranquil and relaxing in the Cotswold sunshine ,after a long journey. The Ruinart Champagne arrived, but the gardener just kept mowing the lawn up and down for half an hour, drowning out any chance of conversation or listening to the birdsong.The next morning at breakfast the staff started laying up the lunch tables around us whilst we were still eating our breakfast, this included moving in new large table tops, not a peaceful Sunday breakfast experience, and we were not late to breakfast, it was about 10 am.The quality of the breakfast was quite good, but the chices were not as expansive as other similar places I have stayed.
So overall, if you like old world furnishings a fittings and can put up with the minor issues you will love the place, for myself I am not wowed for the money.
I raised my points about the stained wallpaper, pillows the fire and fan and bathroom with the management on leaving and was told they are in the middle of a refurbishment programme, as there was a major roof leak last year, which has been dealt with. The manager agreed with me that there are some issues need tidying up and that improvements could be made.

Room Tip: Front facing rooms have lovely views, beware the church bells at 0750hours Sunday morning! 10 minute...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LADYRAWDON
BMH11, General Manager at Buckland Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear LADYRAWDON,

Thank you very much for your review of Buckland Manor. I must thank you for all of your constructive comments. We do always try to improve and feedback from guests is an excellent way for us to do that. We do take everything that you have said seriously and will aim to be better next time.

We have corresponded and i do hope that we will be able to welcome you both back to buckland in the near future.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

As city dwellers we truly appreciated the serene surroundings of this exceptional country manor. The grounds were lush and beautiful. Our room was well appointed - country charm with all the modern conveniences. The English breakfast did not disappoint and dinner was also lovely.

Of course we got to meet their friendly mascot "Oscar", who added so much fun to our 2 night stay.

Room Tip: Ask for the "Scott" room for a lovely view from the second floor. Be aware there are no e...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Foldees
BMH11, General Manager at Buckland Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear Foldees,

Thank you very much for your review of Buckland Manor. I was very glad to read how much you had enjoyed it. As hard as all of the staff work to make the stays of our guests enjoyable it is more often than not that Oscar gets the credit. We are lucky to have a valuable asset working here.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to Buckland very soon.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

After 27 years of marriage we decided to visit Buckland for our celebrations to see how it was doing under the ownership of Mr Brownsword. It passed with flying colours at all levels. The service was great, the rooms perfect and the restaurant delivered a marvellous dinner with exemplary service. It is now a more relaxed hotel atmosphere and smart casual dress instead of the ridiculous shirt and tie regime made it a much more enjoyable experience. It is one of the best hotel/restaurants we have visited and it is now up there in our top 10.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank David R

Dear David R,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our 'belated' anniversary dinner. It is always nice when guests choose to spend special times here.

We relaxed the dress code slightly and I do hope it provides for a slightly more relaxed feel.

I hope you will return to Buckland before your next anniversary.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

My very good friend invited me and 16 work friends to Buckland Manor for his retirement.From the time of arriving , nothing was to much trouble.Food was first class , the 9 rooms that we had between us were exceptional.Simon the hotel manager was always there to help you.The scenery from my bedroom was breath taking. I could keep going on about Buckland Manor, But I would run out of space.

Room Tip: A good room. They are all excellent
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 999PAULINEJ

Dear 999PaulineJ,

Thank you for the review. It was a lovely evening at Buckland and a pleasure to look after you all. Buckland is a special place and we are very proud to be able to host such lovely events.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to Buckland very soon.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Our family of five have recently stayed for two nights at the Buckland Manor to explore Cotswolds. I have corresponded with Simon,the hotel's manager and everything went smoothly with our booking reservations. Our family loves staying in unconventional accommodations like castles,chateaus, manors and the like because of it's unusual charm and country feel and Buckland did not disappoint. From the moment we checked in,we felt very welcome by the hotel's staff led by Simon. We booked two rooms,one for me and my husband and another for our three grown up children. Our room was fabulous to say the least! We were in The Vaulted room and it was one of the nicest room we've ever stayed in. It has that cottage feel but with a touch of luxury. It is surrounded by windows all over and the views were beautiful! We have the view of the vast, gardens and fountains. The room was very spacious,huge! The bathroom was equipped with modern fittings but still cozy and charming. Our children's room was equally fabulous.it's called the fountain room. It's a two bedroom suite that could accommodate four persons comfortably. Both rooms were spotlessly clean. We had breakfast there everyday and it's exquisite. They have a menu for you to choose from and every item was exquisite. Served fresh and plated beautifully. And or course delicious! I had smoked salmon, roasted mushrooms, scrambled eggs and bacon almost every morning. We had dinner twice in their restaurant and it was one of the best places we've dined in. Service was very formal but friendly. I had sea bass for two nights and it's cooked perfectly accompanied with delicious sauces and side dishes. They offer complimentary hors' d' oeuvres that were very tasty. The rest of my family had lamb and duck. The choices on the menu were limited but everything from appetizer to dessert was excellent. The surroundings of the manor was very lovely. Right next to the hotel is a very nice chapel. Too bad we only discovered it on the day we were leaving.The best thing about the manor is the staff. Led by Simon, he is genuinely concern about his guest's comfort and satisfaction. We saw this throughout our stay. He would always want to make sure that we are comfortable and we're taken cared of. The rest of the staff from the reception to the porters and the housekeeping was very professional, friendly but not intrusive. I have stayed in several manors in France, castle in Germany and Buckland to me imparted the best service. In all our years of traveling, our Buckland Manor experience will always be remembered as one of the highlights of our trip.

Room Tip: The Vaulted Room is the best room in the manor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank redstone1365

Dear Redstone1365,

Thank you very much for the review of your stay at Buckland Manor. I am very pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. I am very lucky to be out at the front of the hotel talking with guests and taking credit for all of the hard work the rest of the team puts in to ensure guests enjoy their stay. I am lucky to have such a good team with me.

I must agree the Vaulted roo is one of the best rooms in the hotel.

I hope to be able to welcome you all back to Buckland very soon.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We have stayed at Buckland Manor several times in the past but not very recently. We called in for lunch and realised what we have been missing! This is professionalism at its very best. The warmth of the welcome, the food and the excellence of service are outstanding. WE shall certainly be returning for a longer stay

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fourpence4

Dear Fourpence4,

These types of review are lovely to read, thank you for taking the time to write. Rediscovering an old favourite and finding it still good is always a pleasure.

I look forward to welcoming you both back for a longer stay very soon.

Simon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadway
Dormy House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Chipping Campden
The Slaughters Country Inn
The Slaughters Country Inn
#1 of 2 in Lower Slaughter

Been to Buckland Manor? Share your experiences!