“A little disappointing”
Review of Buckland Manor

Buckland Manor
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Broadway
Reviewed 3 August 2014

It is very difficult when you have had a really lovely stay, a most enjoyable time and were treated with great assistance, to criticize. But this lovely established little treasure really needs some serious attention as its standards are slipping.

The positives are numerous. The position is outstanding – minutes from Broadway’s magnificent chocolate box village, quiet and set in wonderful gardens.

Our room was an absolute delight. Beautiful in fact. Absolutely comfortable with central views across the gardens through a stone framed, leaded original window.

So secure is it that no keys are given to rooms. Doors remain unlocked. I must confess that was a little difficult to adjust to (being from London I can’t believe that I did)!

The bathroom was great. A bath, separate shower, basin, space to put your things, well fitting dressing gowns, slippers. Great TV choices, comfortable bed and pillows. All quite lovely.

But everything lacked a little ‘ chic elegance’ – that magic ingredient that sets Relais & Chateaux hotels apart.

For example, the staff are wonderful and helpful but a little surly. They simply don’t ‘think’, they only smile or speak when spoken to. As charming as they were they were sloppy. Particularly in their dress. Some staff were a little 'scruffy. Shoes weren't clean. Simply not 'bandbox'. And the service lacked the professional smoothness that is expected.

I seriously cannot remember what we had for dinner. Only that it was ‘edible’ but nothing outstanding. And it was not served well. Not a good sign, really.

Breakfast was a serious let down. The weather was beautiful and guests were sitting outside. There was no-one to greet us or tell us what the routine for breakfast was. We sat ourselves down. After 10 minutes my husband had to find someone to ask for some service.

We were steered inside to take our fruit and cereals, only to find the bowls depleted. Again we had to go in search of someone to replenish them.

My husband ordered the full English breakfast and I the grilled whole kipper (a particular favourite). We asked for both brown and white toast of which white only arrived 10 minutes before the breakfasts. We asked for more, which arrived 10 minutes after we finished. The Kipper arrived complete with an overly acidic and unpalatable lemon sauce (not mentioned on the menu). I had to wait another 15 minutes for a simple grilled replacement. What arrived was a much smaller fish that had curled from cooking too fast. It was awful.

This is not an inexpensive establishment and to maintain it’s Relais entry it needs seriously re-thinking. If nothing changes I will be tempted to believe that Relais & Chateaux listings are bought, not earned. And if that proved to be the case I would think twice before using the guide in the future.

Room Tip: I can't imagine that any room is bad but certainly ask to overlook the gardens.
1  Thank Cheryl G
BMH11, General Manager at Buckland Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

Dear Cheryl G,

It is never nice to read a review that is less than positive but it is from these that we learn the most and strive to improve upon.

Most of all is it disappointing to understand that the staff were surly. The hotel industry demands hard work from everyone but there is never an excuse not to smile, it costs nothing and takes very little effort. I do hope, should you return to Buckland or use another R&C property that will never be the case again.

Overall I hope you remember the positives and the fact you had a 'lovely stay'.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to Buckland Manor in the near future.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We have often stopped for a pot of tea or coffee and home made biscuits in the garden on a sunny day, always served beautifully in delightful surroundings and, in my opinion, one of life's great bargains at, I think, £6 each. Under the previous owners accommodation was very expensive and the atmosphere rather stuffy so we were never tempted to stay but, finding a quite different atmosphere on a recent visit, and discovering that there were some much better prices at quieter times we booked two nights B&B for £400. This is certainly not cheap but we had a beautiful spacious room and the fabric of the hotel is much better than we expected in such an old building. Service was first class, with just that touch of friendly without being intrusive that hotels rarely achieve.

It is impossible to imagine a finer location in a Cotswold valley silent except for the sound of birdsong. TA's rating of Buckland as the 10th best B&B in Broadway only has three errors. Buckland isn't in Broadway, is a much like a B&B as I am like Brad Pitt and, having stayed in hundreds of hotels over much of the world, including some very expensive ones, it is certainly in my top ten on that scale.

3  Thank Tom B
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We booked two rooms here and another was booked a bit later by a couple joining us for part of our stay. The manor is well sited and a pretty building in a beautiful area, but the gardens are very prosaic and boring: masses of near dead begonias and pale marigolds do not make a garden noteworthy in this lush part of England. The dinner was very overpriced and service patronizing and pretentious; we stayed two nights and did not even consider eating there again. The breakfasts were OK and there was plenty on offer. They got my omelet order completely wrong, though when I mentioned this they seemed happy to redo it. There were several little amuse bouches and other tidbits brought gratis to us before and after dinner, but we couldn't understand what they consisted of, nor could we identify some of them by taste.
The couple who booked later were on a semi-board plan (dinner included) with a beautiful and spacious room and paid a rate that was far less than our room plus dinner. When we inquired if we could switch to this plan we were told we could not. Our room was minuscule - we spent most of the time climbing over one another to get around to the far side of the bed; there was only one luggage rack available but it had to be placed in front of the cupboard door so that was unhelpful. The bathroom, though new, was full of spiders, and there was virtually no water pressure at all. I spent twenty + minutes the first night trying to draw a bath, after which there was only about 2" or water, so gave up. My husband said the shower pressure in the morning was almost non-existent. I did manage to get a skimpy bath the 2nd evening, but only after letting the water run for over 30 minutes. For nearly $500. a night one does expect rather more! This was almost 300GBP per night, not including dinner.
Our room was on a staircase with only one other room, at the far end of the house - perhaps these used to be servants' quarters? The other room which I saw on the first floor (there is no lift, but we knew that and didn't mind) was large and beautifully furnished, with a sofa even, and nice wallpaper. We had only painted walls and dull decor and though there were two chairs only one of them could be used as the other was so crammed in at the foot of the bed (not a particularly large one either) that no one could really sit in it, and certainly no one could get past if there was someone in it. For this kind of money one shouldn't have to "upgrade" to get a decent sized room!
Tea on the terrace was pleasant as it was a gorgeous day, but service was slow and five pounds for a cup of tea seems rather excessive to me.
Yes, the wi-fi was free, but did not work well - again, perhaps we were in the servants' wing?

Room Tip: The rooms are all named rather than numbered, and note that they don't give you a room key. They...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Fiddler1068
BMH11, General Manager at Buckland Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Fiddler1068,

I am sorry that we seemed to have failed you on a number instances over your stay. We do pride ourselves on our personal service and beautiful location and i am sorry that you have left us with less than a favourable impression.

I would very much like to have the opportunity to discuss your issues with you. if you would be so kind as to contact myself generalmanager@bucklandmanor.co.uk.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stumbled across Buckland Manor whilst walking from Stanton almost 12 years ago and decided to return whilst staying nearby. We did the triangular walk from Stanton to Snowshill and Buckland, taking in some other village along the way as we took a wrong turn and got lost. We made it to Buckland Manor just before the heavens opened and could not have been in a better place to settle in whilst waiting for the rain to stop. On this occasion we only had a few drinks in front of an open fire but could have easily stayed Longer. It is a very beautiful hotel, in a great setting, with very attentive staff. I am in no doubt that the hotel is quite exepensive (i would think it's worth it) but whether you're a lord or a pair of scruffs like us in walking boots, jeans and carrying a carrier bag full of second hand books from the Snowshill book stall you are made to feel very welcome. I am now looking for a special occassion to return and spend a few nights here.

1  Thank ESAV37
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Having been to this idyllic hotel on several occasions to stay and to enjoy relaxing lunches we decided to get married at Buckland Manor. From our arrival in glorious sunshine on Thursday afternoon, our two night stay , together with our marriage in the beautiful gardens yesterday , through to breakfast this morning, was perfect in every way thanks to Simon Franks and his remarkable team for whom nothing was too much trouble. Our family and friends , 37 in total, were made to feel totally comfortable and have all been in high praise of the hotel and its superb accommodation, surroundings and food. We could not have wished for anything better for our special day. Thank you .

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful but we were fortunate enough to be given the Vaulted Room which was superb w...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ros T

Dear Ros T,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your experience at Buckland Manor. Buckland is a beautiful hotel and a really glorious location for a small wedding.

i am so glad that you and your guests enjoyed it so much. it was our pleasure to look after you all.

I look forward to welcoming you both back for your first anniversary, if not before.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

My partner and myself stayed recently for a short 2 night stay after recent bereavements in our families and we were looking for a relaxed, quiet and peaceful break. We were highly impressed with everything Buckland Manor had to offer. The setting, room and service was second to none. Food was excellent and staff were welcoming without being intrusive.

Would highly recommend Buckland Manor and will certainly return soon.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Ian D,

Thank you very much for such a lovely review. The team work very hard here to make sure guests enjoy their stay and I am glad we have succeded.

All I can say is that is that a short stay is never long enough.

i hope to be able to welcome you back to Buckland in the near future.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

A small group of us had afternoon tea for a friends baby shower and had the perfect afternoon. We were greeted with a friendly welcome on arrival and shown to the morning room where everything was laid ready for our afternoon tea. Service was fantastic and the afternoon tea was delicious and beautifully served on cake stands. Proper leaf tea, sandwich of your choice and the best homemade scones, cakes and biscuits. Recently had afternoon tea at another very local hotel in the cotswolds that has recently had a multi million round renovation and that wasn't a patch on this. Buckland manor and the surroundings are beautiful and it's nice to have a walk around the grounds on a sunny day. My dream future wedding location it's like your own private manor house! Thank you to all the staff for giving my friend a lovely baby shower :)

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank sophiekate14
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadway
Dormy House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Chipping Campden
The Slaughters Country Inn
The Slaughters Country Inn
#1 of 2 in Lower Slaughter

Been to Buckland Manor? Share your experiences!